Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help in dating this coat! Crombie fabric. ACWA tag

Spartcom5

New in Town
Hey guys I bought this coat originally thinking it was from the 60s and then later the 70s and now the 90s! The tag tells me the 70s however someone on another forum looked up the serial code on the coat and said it was registered 1997 CA 00866.... How does that make any sense having the tag it has?
20161121_223428_resized_zpsohtgylwu.jpg
20161121_182627_resized_zps7tx515kk.jpg
20161121_182544_resized_zpslneb5oud.jpg
20161121_182516_resized_zpsoiow9vlq.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I am not an expert in tags, but i am pretty sure the union tags are available as reproductions and i wouldn't use one to accurately date a jacket or coat. They are often used by manufacturers to add a vintage touch to modern reproductions.
I have one in my modern ELMC Californian, John Chapman uses them in Goodwear jackets, so do Bill Kelso.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Either way, even if it is 1990s vintage, it is a nice coat and should be warm. I have a 1970s Crombie, grey with a velvet collar. A very warm coat. Crombie used to supply the materials to a lot of tailors who manufacture their coats using these materials and putting both their own and a Crombie label in the garment.
Mine is a made with "Cloth woven by Crombie" sold by Austin Reed, who were once a long standing producer of gentleman's quality clothing.
Wikipedia has some brief descriptions of this and the history Crombie. A bit like a 'Hoover' for vacuum cleaners and 'Stetson' for cowboy hats, it is one of those names that has been applied to any make of coat in the Crombie style regardless of quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24