Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help locating replacement A-2 knits

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Hello folks, I need your help please?

After spending a couple of hours searching the Lounge, and clicking on the reference links in the WWII page, I CANNOT find the post/link I need. Some of the reference links no longer operate, so they are useless to me.

Somewhere out there in the "system of tubes" that is the internet lies a producer of replacement WOOL knits for the venerable A-2 jacket.

I cannot find them. I cannot find the location on any of the jacket maker websites other than USWings, and I fear theirs are the cotton knits from their current jackets. I want to replace the cotton with wool, but cannot find a source.

You can do it, you have the power.

Thanking you in advance,

dv

scottmcl

New in Town
I have been told that http://www.flightsuits.com will sell you replacements, give them a shout

Here's some info I stumbled across too, might be something you want to consider.

(On traditional A2's)

Wool knitting was used for the sleeve wristlets as well as the waistband. These were essentially brown like the jacket, but again there were variations in shade from dark to medium brown to an almost reddish hue as typical of many Aero Leather jackets. Wristlets have a double weave, looser on the top half (toward the sleeve attachment) and tighter toward the bottom (end).

Image examples:

1. Bronco wrist knitting.

br_cuff.jpg

2. Poughkeepsie wrist knitting.

pk_cuff.jpg

Via...http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2detail.html

scottmcl

New in Town
from the same website as the above info:

Where can I find someone to restore a jacket or supply replacement knits?

Most makers of reproduction jackets can provide restoration service or supply you with replacement knits. For restoration, I would recommend asking about materials, techniques, cost, and experience to determine if a particular vendor will perform the job to your satisfaction. If you wish to match an original maker, it would be good to ask if they have materials to sufficiently match the original.

Replacement knits, and new old stock (NOS) zippers as well, can often be found for auction at eBay.

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Thanks for that info, I didn't find it when I was looking earlier.

Probably being a case of information overload at that point.

I'll try sending some emails tomorrow.

dv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran