Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me accessorise an Edwardian Walking Suit

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
I know this is a little earlier than the Golden Era, but I need help with how to put this outfit together! I'm aiming for a WWI era look. I've always wanted a walking suit and I'm thrilled that I just found this at an antique store. If anyone could help me date the suit and wear the proper hat, shirt, etc. that would be great!

First, to date the suit, I'm guessing its around 1915??

What type of shirt to wear underneath? I've been looking at pictures and have seen high necked shirts and square necked shirts worn with suits.

And for the hat- there are so many styles! I really like the hats adorned with feathers and flowers. Should I look for something in a natural colored straw or black straw? Wide brimmed or more like a toque hat? The look I'm going for is WWI era.

The thing that's confusing about the suit is that it doesn't have a closure in the front! Has anyone ever seen that before? It seems unusual to have the front hang open but it doesn't look like there was ever anything there to close it.

Oh, and stockings, what color?

And some more pictures of the suit are here-
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff305/deedaydoll/

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Here is a picure of the suit-
suit2.jpg

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I think a square-necked shell underneath would look best. When you look at pics of teens suits, the shirt's neckline underneath is almost always straight across. I think the suit would look smashing with a toque for a hat as well. I have an Edwardian toque at home that I'll take a picture of if you'd like to see.

For stockings, I'm not sure. Where women's stockings seamed then? My gut says no, but I'm not sure. I think a thick, dark pair of navy stockings might work best. (I'm assuming the suit is navy, not black.) I don't think stockings were sheer then - more of a heavy cotton or wool. Can anyone confirm this?

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
That's what I would do, too. Even opaque cream would also be a good look for the era. LOVE that suit! And definitely do the straight-necked shirt...I can be a type of chemise with lace, too. Get creative!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
*drool* Gorgeous hat pictures. Now I have to post a picture of the toque I have.

Butterick 4826 is a repro pattern for Edwardian blouses. I think any of those blouses would look especially pretty under the suit as well.

B4826.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A marcasite necklace and a parasol.

Actually, I think you could wear that outfit (without the parasol) and it would look a little old school, but still current.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
For inspiration, here's a picture of the teens toque that I have. (Excuse my messy unpainted living room in the background!) I had to lighten the picture a bit to show the hat's detail.

IMG_0140.jpg

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
Thank you everyone for your help!

BeBopBaby- I LOVE your hat! I'm going to look for something similar, I thin kthat would look perfect with the suit.

Texasgirl- Thanks for the picures of the hats and shoes! That helps alot.

I'm off to Ebay to find a parasol and a blouse!

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Beautiful suit!!! Matching kid leather or fabric gloves, a Cameo pin and even a black ebony walking cane are options. Last year I went to the WWI museum dedication in Kansas City. A lot of people were dressed in period clothing. Your suit would have stole the show.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
suit2.jpg

Lots of good advice here (I love John Peacock's books--great inspiration sources)

That's a wonderful suit and you look so pretty in it. You remind me of Evie in the first season of The House of Eliott.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Definitely seamed!

BeBopBaby said:
For stockings, I'm not sure. Where women's stockings seamed then? My gut says no, but I'm not sure. I think a thick, dark pair of navy stockings might work best. (I'm assuming the suit is navy, not black.) I don't think stockings were sheer then - more of a heavy cotton or wool. Can anyone confirm this?

They had not yet invented unseamed stockings. 1950s.
Or sheer nude ones! 1920s.
So look for seamed, opaque stockings, either the color of the blouse or the color of the suit. Clocks on the sides of the ankles were typical too.
Once again, the only place you are likely to find them is the Evils of Ebay...
Beautiful suit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy