Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose basic pattern from black sheep.

John J

Familiar Face
Hey gents , Hi JLee.

Ive been lurking and looking ,harping , Scratching my head ... here's the scoop.

as posted before I Have a deposit down with black sheep, Bob will not be back for a while thus My project will be delivered some time well after the snow flies. and Now that I'm on this board and I was enlightened about Art Well change of plans.

Im going to get a hat from Art as his turn around time is reasonable right now. I'm going to get something in his midnight blue in a classic size to be the hat to wear with the winter long overcoats and the various blue and gray wool sport coats I wear often.

this brings me to BOB.

I decided On somthing in black cherry as that will give me a well rounded color palate 1) birch, builtmore 1) steel gray, builtmore 1) midnight blue ART 1) black cherry BOB (Ill be able to compliment almost anything.)

My big thing now is what basic style from BOB

Arts Hats have that Vintage flair and in general higher crowns and I will easily find one of his classics that will should good on me in 5"-5.5" crown and 2.5" brim (dim of my best looking milan) center dent for snow and rain here in north east.

BOB has a few classic sized hats but then lots of shorter crowns 4.5" -5" (im 5 10 big shoulder type 7 1/2 - 7 5/8 head)

J Lee helped me with a PM he likes regulateur as a casual hat though brim is only 2 1/8 ( bump to 2 1/4 2 /3/8??) I'm just getting more opinions.

do I go with a more casual Hat in the black cherry , Regulatuer, tarragona, Sabateur??? bash not important right now.

or stick with something more in between ?? Two I liked Board walk or keynote?? neither quite as big as arts classic sizes... of course Bob can tweek anything Im sure.

Opinions please (at least I finally decided on colors )

have a great day

'John

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I think Art's site mentions the open crown height, whereas Bob's mentions the creased height. That's why Bob's mentions two heights: The front and the back

John J

Familiar Face
I think Art's site mentions the open crown height, whereas Bob's mentions the creased height. That's why Bob's mentions two heights: The front and the back

Good evening, thank you for your help. Good point on the advertised crown height, yes different methods .

Decisions decisions,to many choices at this stage of the procurement process. Dont want to spend for a custom hat and not wear it.

"JOHN"

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi John

You mention 4 hats, two on order, and I ASSUME you already own two. In order to work out what crown and brim side to order from Black Sheep and Art Fawcett, work out what you like and dislike about the sizes of your current hats. Work out what crease you'd like on the new hat, and how high the front and back of the hat would be. Art and Black Sheep should be able to determine what sized open crown to build for you.

How much taper in the crown looks good on you?
What crease do you like the best? A teardrop crease seems to take more felt than does a centerdent for example.
How high on your head do you wear your hat?

The brim size itself is pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps some...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner