Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find a selvedge jacket?

jchance

One of the Regulars
If money is no object, the best selvedge jacket money can buy is Iron Heart. Check out their 21oz, buttery soft despite its weight.

If you’re into heavier jacket, consider Samurai 25oz.

Good value for the money spent are TCB and Sugar Cane. Check out their selvedge jacket offerings.

I’m a big fan of type I instead of type III (too common and doesn’t look good).

If you’re open to non-denim jacket, consider UES Tricotine shirt or Momotaro Sashiko shirt jacket, great alternatives to denim jackets. I own the UES Tricotine and it’s 10x better than denim jacket. It’s thick, goes well with denim pants and doesn’t feel like a Canadian tux.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You'll get plenty of options, but I'm partial to Brave Star, made in LA.
They offer continually changing styles, weights and fabrics.
Check them out Here
+1 for Brave Star. A really good product for the price, especially considering it is made right here in California. I own at least six Iron Heart denim jackets, mainly Type 3 with a couple Lee Riders style as well. They are very well made, although they are usually at least an inch or two too long in sleeve and body.
If money is no object look at Iron Heart. If it is a concern, then go with Brave Star.

Last edited:

Fonzie

One Too Many
I own one of these Un-Branded selvedge denim, and I have never felt the need to get anything else - except a really nice Duluth Trading regular denim that has stretch. It's a dream to wear.
+1
The Unbranded are very good value for money. I don’t think you’d be disappointed.

I own the Brave Star 22oz and I think it’s just as good as the Iron Heart one for less than half the price.
I do own several IH pieces and although they’re awesome and great quality, the price difference doesn’t related to quality difference with Brave Star.
In my opinion, BS offers better value, just not resale value like IH does.

MattCrush

New in Town
+1 for Brave Star. A really good product for the price, especially considering it is made right here in California. I own at least six Iron Heart denim jackets, mainly Type 3 with a couple Lee Riders style as well. They are very well made, although they are usually at least an inch or two too long in sleeve and body.
If money is no object look at Iron Heart. If it is a concern, then go with Brave Star.
Have you found one with shorter length

doug5551

New in Town
+1
The Unbranded are very good value for money. I don’t think you’d be disappointed.

I own the Brave Star 22oz and I think it’s just as good as the Iron Heart one for less than half the price.
I do own several IH pieces and although they’re awesome and great quality, the price difference doesn’t related to quality difference with Brave Star.
In my opinion, BS offers better value, just not resale value like IH does.

Wearing my Brave Star 22 oz as I type this.

Highly recommend and love it!!

I believe BS commonly has a discount coupon for first order.

Check them out!!!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yes. Every once in a while IH will release a type 3 with reasonable sleeve and back length. When they did so back in 2019 I bought both the blue and black version, both around 20 oz. If I recall correctly.
What's a reasonable back length on a type 3? The ones in this thread all look long.

Yes. Every once in a while IH will release a type 3 with reasonable sleeve and back length. When they did so back in 2019 I bought both the blue and black version, both around 20 oz. If I recall correctly.

Yessir. I’ve had and have IH of varying body lengths.

I’d add that within each release there is some variation in lengths and P2Ps. If buying direct, best to call and ask for a jacket that comes closest to desired length. IH is most helpful and very willing to do that.

MattCrush

New in Town
Other than the weight is there a
way to identify which ones? Can you give the size and measurements for the sleeve + body length?

El Marro

Other than the weight is there a
way to identify which ones? Can you give the size and measurements for the sleeve + body length?
I will try to measure them when I get home and post some numbers. The nice thing about IH is that they post measurements for all of their shirts and jackets.
I usually wear XXXL in their jackets and I am looking for a length around 26” for sleeves and back. Some here would tell you that even that is too long but I’m 6’1”and I wont wear a jacket that is riding at or above my belt, it drives me crazy.
I just looked at their website and this is exactly what I was talking about:
https://www.ironheartamerica.com/jackets/IH-526j.html

MattCrush

New in Town
I will try to measure them when I get home and post some numbers. The nice thing about IH is that they post measurements for all of their shirts and jackets.
I usually wear XXXL in their jackets and I am looking for a length around 26” for sleeves and back. Some here would tell you that even that is too long but I’m 6’1”and I wont wear a jacket that is riding at or above my belt, it drives me crazy.
I just looked at their website and this is exactly what I was talking about:
https://www.ironheartamerica.com/jackets/IH-526j.html
Thank you, they responded to my email and gave the same link. Apparently, I’m in a tough spot being shorter and muscular, (picture the comic book Wolverine :)

I’d need something like

sleeve 23”

Waist 22”

Opening 20”

Chest 24.25”

Length 24”

Thank you, they responded to my email and gave the same link. Apparently, I’m in a tough spot being shorter and muscular, (picture the comic book Wolverine :)

I’d need something like

sleeve 23”

Waist 22”

Opening 20”

Chest 24.25”

Length 24”

I’m similar. The sleeve measurement will be the killer. Add in the larger chest and it will be near impossible finding such short sleeves. You can always have the sleeves shortened by someone skilled. I have an IH riders jacket that had this done. It’s my favorite denim jacket.

El Marro

You should look at vintage jackets in that case. Almost every vintage Lee Rider that I’ve seen is around 24“ back length or shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner