Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crush On Retro

barnabus

One Too Many
Has anyone heard of or ordered from Crush On Retro?

It's all the things we like, but all direct from China in the same way as I think Bronson is.

There are some of the usual Etsy-type items, but some other cool things too I think.

And it might be a way to be more confident of what you're getting than jumping headlong into Etsy where everybody's photos seem fair game.

Who knows? Perhaps someone that's bought from them before?

I like this jacket, which purports to be horsehide for $190;

And these 23oz jeans;

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Never heard of this company. Interesting jackets! They are certainly using old styles.

I just bought a vintage jacket like the Newsboy jacket you liked. Two way pockets are a favorite of mine.

I like many of their styles.

The price is right, the Quality?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
cool looking jeans until you realize it is a zipper fly 23oz, personally with big oz if you have zipperfly the front would look like you have something when you sit, much prefer button fly on bigger oz

barnabus

One Too Many
cool looking jeans until you realize it is a zipper fly 23oz, personally with big oz if you have zipperfly the front would look like you have something when you sit, much prefer button fly on bigger oz

Oh that's true.

There's a ton of other interesting stuff on their site too though.

Really, I want someone to have ordered from them already so we can hear if the quality is worthwhile as @tmitchell59 says.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Oh that's true.

There's a ton of other interesting stuff on their site too though.

Really, I want someone to have ordered from them already so we can hear if the quality is worthwhile as @tmitchell59 says.
just by eyeballing they look fine, how bad can it be for such money, if the size fits then it's pretty much safe betting, 5* hit and miss would probably cost you a lot more and there is no waiting time. probably the leather will smell like chemical or the color might fade when worn in downpour, but you can always dye it back, can oil it back to deepen the color, at such price you can do anything to it, fiebing's carnauba wax smell nice too so you can even add a pleasant smell if it doesn't have one, obenauf also smells nice like fresh honey .

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Seems like another taobao/aliexpress reseller.
Too sketchy for me to deal with this kind of stuff, but report your results if you do go for it.
Quite a few members here that gamble with Chinese merchandise. Canuck Panda knows a lot about this stuff.
1696320634602.png

Edward

Bartender
I've seen the ads. Looks nice, but I'm wary of anything I see advertised heavily on Facebook unless I'm already familiar with the brand. Not been tempted to risk it anyhow as when I look at it the sizing is all too small - trousers all stop a size or two below what I'd need, and the top half stuff looks hit and miss as to whether it'd work out. Pity, because there *is* a lot of great stuff being affordably made out there that would be of interest to those of us who just can't afford or justify spending three figures one something as basic as a pair of jeans or a shirt. A European stockist would be a great start (as well as 'bigger' Western sizes available!).

barnabus

One Too Many
I've seen the ads. Looks nice, but I'm wary of anything I see advertised heavily on Facebook unless I'm already familiar with the brand. Not been tempted to risk it anyhow as when I look at it the sizing is all too small - trousers all stop a size or two below what I'd need, and the top half stuff looks hit and miss as to whether it'd work out. Pity, because there *is* a lot of great stuff being affordably made out there that would be of interest to those of us who just can't afford or justify spending three figures one something as basic as a pair of jeans or a shirt. A European stockist would be a great start (as well as 'bigger' Western sizes available!).

I'm not on Facebook so never see that sort of advertising. I just stumbled onto their website while I was looking for some 30s style aviator trousers (I watched The Rocketeer at the weekend) and Google threw them my way.

I could be tempted by several items if I could understand how much of a hit tax and duty might make buying here in the UK. Especially as there's a first order 10% discount code.

Edward

Bartender
I'm not on Facebook so never see that sort of advertising. I just stumbled onto their website while I was looking for some 30s style aviator trousers (I watched The Rocketeer at the weekend) and Google threw them my way.

I could be tempted by several items if I could understand how much of a hit tax and duty might make buying here in the UK. Especially as there's a first order 10% discount code.

It's hit and miss, I find. https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty As I understand it, you're supposed to pay VAT on anything that's not a gift worth less than £39, but you don't have to pay anything in terms of import tax as long as it stays under £134. (I have no idea how they selected these figures, though the latter used to be in the region of £16, so....) I recently bought a new Akubra from Hats Direct, and was charged nothing - couldn't see anything on the labelling that would have effected that. The hat was very fractionally over the £134 by about a fiver or so, so perhaps they just didn't think it was worth it.

Where you do have to watch is that they apply it correctly. I was once charged tax on a parcel from the US as if the dollar amount were ££s - at that point the USD was 2.2 to the pound! They also tend to tax you on the total including shipping, though I think that's allowed. Generally speaking if you're prepared to wait for three weeks, Chinese shipping on the likes of ebay, Aliexpress et al is free or minimal anyhow. Keeping below the £134 limit, I don't think I've ever been charged anything on stuff coming in from China, though US parcels are always targeted.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As in all bells and no rope?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
As in all bells and no rope?
no, big oz raw denim will require robust metal zipper fly probably m#5 zipper type, and it will look like you have erection when you sit, button fly will look a lot neater and the creases will form in between the buttons so it will be flatter and nicer looking.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
no, big oz raw denim will require robust metal zipper fly probably m#5 zipper type, and it will look like you have erection when you sit, button fly will look a lot neater and the creases will form in between the buttons so it will be flatter and nicer looking.

"Is this #5 in your fly or you're just happy to see me"?

Lol.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
"Is this #5 in your fly or you're just happy to see me"?

Lol.
Denim heads stare at each other whiskers and butt fades lol.

i saw somewhere a jeans with slant zip fly, probably trying to reduce this problem, probably perfect companion for a crosszip jacket, cant imagine how triggering this look on an OCD person

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I watched an Iron Snail video on YouTube earlier where he tried some heavyweight denim jeans with a #10 fly zip. Madness.

Hang on...

Here.

Pretty funny video. The guy is entertaining. I once used a screwdriver to button my 22-oz Tanuki Yoroi indigo canvas pants, before the button holes worked themselves more forgiving. Good thing I am still here to tell the tale. Dangerous business. Lol.

barnabus

One Too Many
Pretty funny video. The guy is entertaining. I once used a screwdriver to button my 22-oz Tanuki Yoroi indigo canvas pants, before the button holes worked themselves more forgiving. Good thing I am still here to tell the tale. Dangerous business. Lol.

I've got a pair of the 21oz Unbranded he mentions in that video, and I almost crippled myself trying to button them when they were new.

But now, several years later, they're wonderfully comfortable and couldn't be nicer.

I never needed anything from my toolbox though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner