Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me pick a bash

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Is that really the same hat? Looks totally different! Good job!
Fatwoul check and see if there is a hobby lobby in cleveland where you are going. If not let me know what colors you want and I will look. My wife goes in there often. Guess I will have to go with her next time. I'm kinda wondering what a grey ribbon would look like on a black hat. Maybe duck will try that next!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A note on hobby shop ribbon. It is not as easy to use as real hat making ribbon. I know this from experience. Hobby shop ribbon won't conform to the crown as well as hat ribbon, which I think has something to do with the polyester they use to make it versus the cotton/rayon fibers of hat ribbon.
Review this thread, it has some great links to hat ribbon suppliers:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=17931&highlight=millinery+ribbon

dean

Duck

Practically Family
Dean is absolutely right about the ribbon being difficult to conform to the conture of the hat. I plan on ordering some of the rayon ribbon, but have not gotten around to it. I use an iron with a wet towel to iron a curve in the ribbon and it seems to work pretty well.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Good tips about the rayon content of the ribbon, guys.

I will add the word "rayon" to my Google searches in future.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
If you've never worked with cotton/rayon grossgrain ribbon, you're in for a treat! As soon as you take a steam iron to it, you can swirl (bend) it, so that when you wrap it around the crown of the hat, there will be little or no gap between the top of the ribbon and the hat. It takes a little experimenting, but it's fairly easy, provided you don't try for too wide a ribbon. I wouldn't start with anything wider than 1 1/2". Once you've sewn it on, if there is still a gap, wet the tip of your finger and dab the water into the section you need to shrink. When it dries, the gap will be gone (or reduced). You can actually do this several times, if needed. 100% polyester will not do this. If you're having trouble finding cotton/rayon, here is one source.

http://www.hatsupply.com/trims.htm

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Hey Duck. I see the hat is actually black. From you avatar I really thought it was purple, which helped in giving me the Darkwing Duck vibe I told you. But even black it still gives me the vibes somehow.
Nice hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy