Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Please, Is this Early 50's Label 101J Lee Jacket the Real Deal?

Crazy4Vintage

New in Town
Hi all!
I recently picked this up at one of my favorite thrifts and I am hoping it is not a reproduction! I have done some research and according to a few websites I have visited (vintage motorcyclejackets.com, farleys.com, etc..) the label on this 101J dates back to the early 50's; one site dates it to 1953. It is in PRISTINE condition, looks and feels new! This makes me a bit skeptical so I am wondering if Lee came out with a repro. The only reproduction I have found online is a later version (1966?) of the 101J so I am not sure.
I am including photos and any help would be appreciated!
Also, stitched inside the right pocket is a piece of white cotton fabric approx. 2.5" in length and 1" in width. When the jacket is turned inside out you can see stitching detail on the backside of the pocket. The left Pocket has neither the fabric inside the pocket or the stiching detail.
Thanks again for your time!
Linnette
0fbd_1_sbl.JPG

10ab_1_sbl.JPG

1237_1_sbl.JPG

139a_1_sbl.JPG

130f_1_sbl.JPG

Burnsie

MudInYerEye said:
Bingo. Real. Ch-ching.

Second that - this is the real deal AND a beauty in a LARGE size! I'm a little green eyed, what a find! The red and gold on black tag positively dates it to the 50's - congrats!!!!!

fardin

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:
For those of us interested, what features of this particular jacket mark it as an original, and not one of the well done Japanese Lee repros?

bk

as far as i know the japanese repros from lee japan wich is made by edwin , and the real mccoys lee repros are usually the 1946 version, and the 1966 was only a limeted edition.
by the way here is an interesting link to identify lee 101j´s
http://www.vintagemotorcyclejackets.com/lee1.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner