Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP: Seasons in Southern California

Wayitusedtobe

New in Town
Hi all,

I moved last week from Seattle to San Diego. I have one great straw from Brent Black and the rest of my hats are felt--Borsalino, Optimo and a 60-yr-old Resistol stingy brim. My question is: Can I wear my straw in the winter in San Diego? It's 70 degrees and my heavy Optimo is too hot. What are the rules here? Please advise my counselors.

Wayitusedtobe

ideaguy

One Too Many
No, you can't wear straw. Like Aaron, it's colder than a meter maid's heart
out here, with 25-35 mph winds gusting to 50; that, with 10 degrees to start
with, means we wear 3-4 hats at once. Straw? dang,we'd burn it to keep warm!! I think that tradition holds to Memorial Day-Labor Day for straw, but
who's keeping score? enjoy that sunshine & warm,sparkling air...grrrr

Wayitusedtobe

New in Town
Thanks Friends

ideaguy said:
No, you can't wear straw. Like Aaron, it's colder than a meter maid's heart
out here, with 25-35 mph winds gusting to 50; that, with 10 degrees to start
with, means we wear 3-4 hats at once. Straw? dang,we'd burn it to keep warm!! I think that tradition holds to Memorial Day-Labor Day for straw, but
who's keeping score? enjoy that sunshine & warm,sparkling air...grrrr

Sorry to hear about the cold weather. I can't say I'm missing the Northwest right about now! I do know that this part of the country needs some real style. I hope my hats and suits will start a trend like they did in Seattle!

BillTyre

New in Town
I wear straw all the time

Lack of seasons is the hallmark of San Diego weather. You actually missed the coldest weather in years by a week, and that was a daytime high in the low 50s. At any rate, I wear straw "out of season," all the time; but then its never been said I'm the height of fashion.

editing for manners... welcome to the lounge and to San Diego!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I liked living in San Diego because I could wear my fur felts in all seasons, except on the very hottest days.

When the sun is out, straw is nice anytime of year.

karol

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Welcome, WayItUsedToBe! I wear my straw all the time, too, regardless of the season. I think San Diego is close enough to a tropical environment to get away with it. Same goes for white dinner jackets!

:eek:fftopic: Is that your Willys in your avatar, BTW?! If so, are you looking for a new best freind?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
San Diego? Look around you. Do you think there are fashion police ready to write you up and haul you in for dressing better than the masses? In other words, I wouldn't worry about it. They wear ball caps & shorts & Tshirts to funerals...

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Seasons in LA...

There are four seasons in LA; Flood, Mud, Fire and Riot. The best fedora is one that is lightweight, fire resistant, and bullet proof.

Lorne

Manny Tavares

Familiar Face
Well, since San Diego is at the end of a desert, or start of depending on direction, go ahead. The season's thing is for places that actually have four distinct seasons.

Mike in Seattle

John in Covina said:
==========
That's only because they haven't thought of teleconferencing the funerals yet...

We had drive in church and Las vegas has drive thru weddings!

Robert Shuller started out with a drive-in church in Garden Grove and now it's the Crystal Cathedral...and I think it still has a drive-in section, or at least originally did.

I loved a line in an audition piece a friend's considering using - "They make cemeteries sound like underground resorts in California."

Lorne said:
There are four seasons in LA; Flood, Mud, Fire and Riot. The best fedora is one that is lightweight, fire resistant, and bullet proof. Lorne
Much of So Cal has the Brown / Green seasons. In the winter and spring if it rains enough we have a fairly lush green time. When the rain stops it turns brown, and when the air polution was bad even the air was brown!

3/4's of the year straw is in order and on a warm winter day not out of line!

Wayitusedtobe

New in Town
John in Covina said:
Much of So Cal has the Brown / Green seasons. In the winter and spring if it rains enough we have a fairly lush green time. When the rain stops it turns brown, and when the air polution was bad even the air was brown!

3/4's of the year straw is in order and on a warm winter day not out of line!

Thanks John! I'll have to buy a few more straws as I'm a little warm-blooded as it is. I hope the brown air doesn't come to SD . . .

Wayitusedtobe

New in Town
Lorne said:
There are four seasons in LA; Flood, Mud, Fire and Riot. The best fedora is one that is lightweight, fire resistant, and bullet proof.

Lorne

LOL! Maybe I should be looking for a flack jacket?! Good thing I'm in "white flight" San Diego. We still have the fires, but the riots stay in LA.

Wayitusedtobe

New in Town
BillTyre said:
Lack of seasons is the hallmark of San Diego weather. You actually missed the coldest weather in years by a week, and that was a daytime high in the low 50s. At any rate, I wear straw "out of season," all the time; but then its never been said I'm the height of fashion.

editing for manners... welcome to the lounge and to San Diego!

Thanks Bill. Looks like you might be fishing there. I need the hot spots.

Wayitusedtobe

New in Town
Mojave Jack said:
Welcome, WayItUsedToBe! I wear my straw all the time, too, regardless of the season. I think San Diego is close enough to a tropical environment to get away with it. Same goes for white dinner jackets!

:eek:fftopic: Is that your Willys in your avatar, BTW?! If so, are you looking for a new best freind?

Thanks Jack! No, that's not my Willys, but I do have one very similar--a 1950 CJ3A. I'm excited now that I can drive it whenever I want. I just need to replace the brakes, exhaust, seat covers etc. You know how it goes!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Wayitusedtobe said:
Thanks Jack! No, that's not my Willys, but I do have one very similar--a 1950 CJ3A. I'm excited now that I can drive it whenever I want. I just need to replace the brakes, exhaust, seat covers etc. You know how it goes!
Excellent! I've always wanted one, but never seem to have the spare cash. I've looked at several, but the timing was always off. If you ever want to bump around this part of the desert, let me know! I know of some pretty interesting places to go, depending on whether you prefer archaeology, natural vistas, or gold mining! That invitation pretty much goes for anyone, really, since you're more than welcome to bounce along in my pickup. Not exactly vintage, but I can take you to some vintage mining areas, like the Virginia Dale mine, active until just before WWII, when gold mining was shut down.

VirginiaDaleMine.jpg

Straw hats are welcome!

Twitch

In So. Cal. the rules are different. The weather can be unseasonable warm relative to the rest of the country at any time and most folks wear what they want.

I am involved in the classic car scene and am happy to say that many guys wear Panamas and other straws in the warm summer. They don't switch to felt fedoras (except me) in cooler months unfortunately. This month they all were still wearing their straws!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR