Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Transitioning Up!

masterecon

New in Town
Thanks so much for all the advice. It has given me a lot to consider and think about!! With the semester ending, I hope to have some time to begin shopping and making trips to Kansas City and such to look around. I like the ideas and have been thinking about a more layered look, which I do like the look of more. Should suits sbe two or three piece? Or should I layer with a sweater vest or sweater instead? As far as transitioning, I am on the fence. I understand the gradual change, but not sure that it would matter too much in my department. But, on the other hand, it may be wise to err on the side of caution. Its tempting to jump in with both feet first. In addition, I am still pondering the idea of carrying a more dressed-up look home/after work, as well. I know the tie and coat could and probably should come off, but what about switching to a more casual outfit, with sweater/vest and knit/wool tie. Thoughts? And again, thanks for all the suggestions!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Should suits sbe two or three piece? Or should I layer with a sweater vest or sweater instead?

A three piece is always a good look, but a two piece with a contrasting vest looks terrific, also, and a bit less formal. I also add a contrasting vest when wearing a sport jacket and slacks, less formal still. I love vests and always try to work one in.

1119001757.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
I am still pondering the idea of carrying a more dressed-up look home/after work, as well. I know the tie and coat could and probably should come off, but what about switching to a more casual outfit, with sweater/vest and knit/wool tie. Thoughts? And again, thanks for all the suggestions!

Is this an effort to convince the significant other that you can't possibly attack anything on the jobs list, as it would mess up your clothes ...?

FinnSpinn

New in Town
If possible, go three piece! A three piece suit can very easily be used to vary: jeans, shirt, waistcoat - trousers, shirt, slip-over - casual pants, shirt, jacket - etc. Party?, throw the three pieces together, polish your shoes, put on your hat, and make an entrance!

masterecon

New in Town
Is this an effort to convince the significant other that you can't possibly attack anything on the jobs list, as it would mess up your clothes ...?

No, I just was trying for a more dressed up look all around. Obviously, if I have work to do around the house it would call for other attire, which I already have.

Big_e

Practically Family

That just cracked me up! I imagine him sitting on the couch in his 3 piece suit, "Oh sorry honey, I can't repair the porch handrail right now, I'm wearing my suit.".

I have nothing to contribute here.
Ernest

masterecon

New in Town
So I got a laugh out of the above comment, but my intention is not super formal all the time. I was thinking about more casual outfits that can be worn with a tie outside of work. One thought could be: wool overshirt, chambray/plaid shirt, wool/knit tie, and chinos/khakis. What ideas would you have for outfits that would be casual, but with tie and still look good.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you sure have taste of your own. The other members of the lounge can't tell you every single item. Why don't you just purchase some things (maybe ties or a tweed jackets) and show them in the "what are you wearing today" thread. i would be curious to see them. also it would be more easy to tell what fits in addition.

I don't think it is a good idea to buy everything at once. For some things you have to wait until they pop up somewhere.... vintage on ebay or new on sale in a store. It wouldn't work if you just go shopping with a suitcase full of money and buy everything thats just roughly in your sheme. The hunting is half the fun.

Lou

One of the Regulars
I agree with the advice to take it in steps. It would be a shame to spend a lot of money on a complete wardrobe, only to realize later that much of it isn't really you after all.

Shoes are a great place to start. One of my first transitioning-up purchases was a pair of AE Wilbert. They dress up my khakis, cords, and jeans tremendously. I'm working on the rest of my casual wardrobe as time and money permit. When I shop, I keep in mind the standard set by my AEs.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't suit up immediately. Everyone will ask you if you are going to a wedding or a funeral. I started with a set of good classic shirts (no button down!), and good shoes (oxfords or derby's). If you want to stand out right away I can recommend a pair of two tones or spectators. Combine this with a jeans, and people will hardly notice. Later you can rev it up by adding an occasional tie, woolen pants, a slip over, vest, etc. Tips: get to know about classic fabrics, and make sure the clothes fit. No fit?, no buy! (Unless you know someone to make it fit). As for headware: an ivy cap or a trilby are good staring points. Although most people here will probably recommend you a fedora.

Why no button-down collars? I like the look myself, but I know that some people consider it to be casual.

Gooch.

rue

I hope you gentlemen don't mind me adding to this.

This thread has actually helped me quite a bit, because of a conversation I had the other day with my husband. We were in Walmart the other day :)rolleyes:) and he kept looking around at everyone with a strange look on his face. Finally I asked what was bothering him and he said he wanted to upgrade his look for everyday wear, so he didn't look like all the slobs surrounding us. Mind you he never really looks like a slob, especially with his clean cut military look, but at the time he was wearing a hoodie and jeans with a car coat and must have felt sloppy [huh] So, after reading this I've gotten some great ideas of what he needs and what we shouldn't buy to get the look he's going for, so thank you :)

Anyway, mastercon, the one thing my grandfather used to say was that you can always tell a man by his shoes, so the advice to start there is very sound.

As far as this question.....

In addition, I am still pondering the idea of carrying a more dressed-up look home/after work, as well. I know the tie and coat could and probably should come off, but what about switching to a more casual outfit, with sweater/vest and knit/wool tie. Thoughts? And again, thanks for all the suggestions!

From what I've read on the what I'm wearing today thread, most everyone seems to be very casual at home, but if you get home from work and still want to look put together I would suggest taking off the jacket and tie and throwing on a sweater and maybe changing your shoes (i.e. Mr. Rogers). My grandfather always did this when he got home from work. The sweater was usually a cardigan.

I hope that helps :)

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

You have received much sound advice. Some random ideas follow.

Regarding the gradual-as-opposed-to-full-monty approach, it depends on the particular case. You say you would have no problems in jumping in with both feet, so go for it. Of course, it depends also on your cash flow. Doing a complete changeover requires some inversion, because you will need a few items in each category to provide variation, and in several "weights" to match the season.
When I did my own "evolution" I chose the gradual approach, because of both the above reasons.

I like the tweed/British country idea, although the "urban" style is perfectly acceptable too, maybe avoiding the "Wall Street" stereotype. Not that the tweed jacket with elbow patches, etc, is not a professor stereotype also... but there is no problem really. You can combine both, with the more dressed up style for particular occassions, or just at your whim.

I do dress up out of work, too (taking "dressing up" as compared to the prevalent very casual apparel generally seen). Sometimes dressing more "up" than at work, sometimes less, it depends. If I think I have a good reason to dress up at work, why would I not do the same with my family? I do have some, let's say, "current fashion" items, and use them sometimes, but these have diminished greatly in my wardrobe; I tend to indulge in more classic combinations.

BD collar shirts are fine if you like them; they are less formal. Shirt patterns have also degrees of formality; solid, textured, tone-on-tone and pisntripes are more formal than checks and chalkstripes, for instance. Lighter colours are more formal; wearing a jacket with a shirt darker than it is considered less formal (this happens with ties and shirts too, ties should be darker than shirts).

Of course, you can play with all of this to your advantage, to suggest different levels of casualness/formality, depending on the occassion or your mood.

Knit and woven ties go very well with sports-like jackets, tweed, plaids and the like. Bowties are great too.

Leather or suede shoes are a must, to my eye; less formal shoes I only wear with really casual outfits.

Oh, and I agree that checking the "What are you wearing today" thread is an excellent idea. "What hat are you wearing today", although focused in hat-wearing, is also a good place to look.

Please keep us updated, and don't forget the pics!

CharlieB

A-List Customer
It's a shame. At least in the US now, people are so ultra-casual that the concepts of more or less formal are lost - anything more than a tee-shirt and jeans looks like a black tie affair!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24