Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with a Panama please

gepreston

New in Town
I’m a little new to the forum and have a few questions for ya’ll. I just picked up a nice older panama. Not vintage, but maybe 5-10 years old. Found it at a thrift store!! Doesn’t look like it was warn much. It has a few stains on the sweat band and was very dusty when I found it. Anyway, it needs a good cleaning, a new sweat band, and I’d like to have it re-formed (don’t like its current bash). It isn’t brittle at all and is still supple. I guess my first question is: Who should I send it to for this kind of work? I live in the Jacksonville Florida area and, as far as I know, there are not any hatters in this area. Second, how much would work like this cost? I’ve only got about $10 in it but it feels like a high end hat. I’d love to get some more life out of it! Thanks in advance!

duggap

Banned
You are kind of in a catch 22. There are folks who can reblock and put in a new sweat but then you would have around 100 dollars with shipping. Why not take a look at Panama Bob's site. He can fix you up with a new one for just about every price range, depending on the weave per square inch.

gepreston

New in Town
I’ll post some pictures of my find as soon as my wife gives up the dig camera. She’s a scrap booker and it seems that ALL of my memory cards are full!! The hat really is in good shape. I cleaned up with a good brushing to get all the loose dust off and then cleaned it up with a damp towel and a dab of mild detergent. Cleaned up nicely. I still would like to replace the sweat band and ribbon and have it re-blocked into something more pleasing to my eye like a nice teardrop with level top and refined pinch. I wouldn’t mind putting some money into it. BTW, does anyone know of a good hatter in the south east area that does this kind of work? I’m in Jacksonville FL.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
can you get a weave count? measure 1" x 1" and count the weaeves in both directions. Then multiply them together and there's your answer.

That will give us a good idea of the approximate value. It may be it's not worth fixing, then again it may be!

Clay

gepreston

New in Town
looks like it's in the 450 to 500 range. It's hard to count all those little knots[huh] . It looks like a fino from Bob runs in the $250 range (blocked in the US). So, if I could find someone local to do the work for me in the $100 range I'd save around $140 (Cost of work + cost of hat = $110). Thats $140 i could use either on a nice Felt hat for the winter or as a down payment on the little Smith & Wesson old styly J frame snubby I found at a local pawn shop (Across the street from the thrift store where I found the hat....Thanks to Fay I had some time off last week :) )

frijoli

One of the Regulars
gepreston said:
looks like it's in the 450 to 500 range. It's hard to count all those little knots[huh] . It looks like a fino from Bob runs in the $250 range (blocked in the US). So, if I could find someone local to do the work for me in the $100 range I'd save around $140 (Cost of work + cost of hat = $110). Thats $140 i could use either on a nice Felt hat for the winter or as a down payment on the little Smith & Wesson old styly J frame snubby I found at a local pawn shop (Across the street from the thrift store where I found the hat....Thanks to Fay I had some time off last week :) )

I doubt you'll find anyone local to trust with that hat. Put some pictures up so we can see it.

You'll have to get your post count up to 15 I think.

Clay

gepreston

New in Town
I’ll post some pics as soon as I can. I’d assume from the color and general appearance of this hat that it’s probably a very nice hat the was made in the Cuenca region and not a Montecristi. I say this because it just looks slightly “browner” than some of the nice Montecristis I’ve seen first hand although this could be directly related to the lack of cleaning it received prior to my ownership. It did lighten up a little after my cleaning. It also only has about 6-7 “rings” in the crown when I look at the inside when back lit by the sun. However, the weave is extremely well done! The rows of knots are very symmetrical with few exceptions. The exceptions are not easy to spot except under intense scrutiny.

gepreston

New in Town
RIP

WEll, Moot point now. My “find” has now become a “chew toy for my brother’s little ankle biter :mad: I guess the question now is who do I shoot, my brother or the dog :rage: ? I do have a crisp new $10 bill burning a hole in my pocket now. So, I guess the new question is which vendor would you use if you wanted a nice panama hat. I’ve been looking for one for a while (thought I’d found the answer with my thrift store find). I’m not cheep, but I don’t think I can talk the wife into letting me spend $250 on a hat. I’ve seen some of the reviews relating to Panama Bob’s hats, and I’m leaning that direction, but his web site is……not the best. How did some of ya’ll that bought hats from him handle the transaction? Then, I’ve found Panama Hat’s Direct. Their website is well done but I’ve not seen any reviews on their products and they seem a little less “put together”. Not as nice as the hats I’ve seen people post pics of from Bob. I guess I need a little guidance here as the hat I buy will be “my hat”. I expect to speak to the hatter about it’s blocking and finish. Once again, Thanks for the help!!!!

Socrets

Familiar Face
From what I've heard about Panama Hat Direct on the forum and experienced for myself, it's sort of hit or miss with them. The prices are really cheap if you care about getting a hat that may or may not be what you ordered. I'd recommend PanamaBob since I own two hats from him (a cuencano and a montecristi) and I've had no regrets considering how humid and hot the weather is here in VA. Really it depends what your priorities are. But remember, you get what you pay for.

To break it down:

PanamaBob= Best combination of price and service. Had no real problems but like it says on the site, you'll have to wait for about a month (but it's so totally worth it).

Panama Hat's Direct= Great price but not as put together as PanamBob nor when it comes to quality.

gepreston

New in Town
Socrets said:
From what I've heard about Panama Hat Direct on the forum and experienced for myself, it's sort of hit or miss with them. The prices are really cheap if you care about getting a hat that may or may not be what you ordered. I'd recommend PanamaBob since I own two hats from him (a cuencano and a montecristi) and I've had no regrets considering how humid and hot the weather is here in VA. Really it depends what your priorities are. But remember, you get what you pay for.

To break it down:

PanamaBob= Best combination of price and service. Had no real problems but like it says on the site, you'll have to wait for about a month (but it's so totally worth it).

Panama Hat's Direct= Great price but not as put together as PanamBob nor when it comes to quality.

Thanks! I'm leaning more towards Bob but his web site just didn't seem too great. Since you have purchased from him before, how did the transaction go? I'm sorta "hands on." when it comes to spending $250ish for a hat. I'd want to speak with the hatter to make sure it blocked to my specifications, with my choice of ribbon ect... Did you have this kind of service?? Thanks

frijoli

One of the Regulars
gepreston said:
I’ve seen some of the reviews relating to Panama Bob’s hats, and I’m leaning that direction, but his web site is……not the best. How did some of ya’ll that bought hats from him handle the transaction? Then, I’ve found Panama Hat’s Direct. Their website is well done but I’ve not seen any

Bob's website sucks, his hats and he are very respectable. Panama hats directs website is great, but the hats, at EQUAL money are not on the same par as PanamaBobs.

If I were in your situation, I would buy a PB at the 149.00 level, and currently I believe there is a discount.

CLay

gepreston

New in Town
I think I'm going to do just that. I guess I need to call or e-mail him and discuss this. I just don't feel comfortable with his on line ordering since there isn't a way to detail my specific requests (Band color and size...Ect).

Socrets

Familiar Face
The transaction was pretty smooth since I was just looking for a hat that I wouldn't mind accidentally flying into a wood chipper or getting knocked off my head. I ended up with a Fino Cuencano since I wasn't in the mood (or position) to spend more than $100 on another summer hat. Good luck with your ordering!

gepreston

New in Town
Did you have it blocked in the States or down there? If down there, how did you feel the result was? Oh, and was the edge back woven or sewn over?? Thanks!!

Socrets

Familiar Face
Both of my hats were blocked in Ecuador and I was fairly pleased (although I didn't realize that getting them blocked in the States was an option until it was too late. :eusa_doh: ) with the results. Both of my hats (or at least my cuenca anyway.) are back woven (as far as I can tell.). PanamaBob only deals in hand made hats not factory made as far as I know and the weavers don't take shortcuts when it comes to their hats. I'm just guessing of course. I'm in no way an expert on Panama hats. All I can really say is what pretty much every other member on this lounge will say about PanamaBob and his products: You get what you pay for, if not more.

Anyway, if you decide to get blocked in the States it'll be sent to one of the master hatters whose names get thrown around a lot. You could probably do a search and see some of their felt work. And I believe that Bob has pictures on his website as well.

gepreston

New in Town
Thanks for the info!!! I just got a message from another forum member that lives here in Jax that is willing to show me his hats and I'm hoping to see a panama from Bob in his collection. I know that I don't need the "$30,000" hat. Mostly, I wear a hat to protect my bald noggin from the sun while I have the top down and I just can't see wearing a ball cap into work. I've bought a few cheep staws (could be from panama but the weave is loose and the finish isn't too great) but have never been overly happy with them. So a nice panama, with a little more quality would fit the bill. I'm thinking in the $100-200 range and with all the salesthat bob is offering right now, I think I'm going to go that way! One last question: is the brim of your hat a snap brim?? Thanks

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Wow! No love on the website. I know it needs work, but those guys and gals charge loads of $$. I think we're substance over style. I've just adjusted the prices down to our Ecuadorian economy. My sister-in-law just had a horrific accident, so I'll probably try to make a big sale in order to pay her medical bills.

Aviator

Familiar Face
Yeah, but you do get a lot of love from forum members on your hats!

If the OP looks on this board they will find tons of glowing reviews of your hats. Your website can always be fixed, but if your reputation with your product was poor it would not be so easy to fix.:)

Slight threadjack: Sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. Hope she can get the care she needs and makes a full recovery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner