Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Akubra styles.

MattJH

One Too Many
I'm waiting for my Stylemaster in Moonstone Grey from Aussie Bush Hats. I should be getting it in the beginning of July. I requested it open crown, but I don't know if they'll do it -- we'll see!

Marty M.

Vendor
Thanks!!!

Wow. Great reply. Thanks to all for the information. So how does it feel to be buyer's for a mens clothing store? Great job, lousey pay huh?:eusa_doh: I'm leaning toward one style dress hat (I have a other brands of dress hats coming in). And two styles of casual hats. I'll post a reply to everybody when we get the final product in. Thanks again to all.
Marty Mathis

Spellflower

Practically Family
I vote for the Sydney/Fedora for your dress hat needs. Anyone wearing dress hats these days is, unfortunately, choosing to be a part of a quirky minority, and thus must be the type of personality willing to entertain a little adventure. There is no reason why such a person should, after deciding to buck current trends and wear a hat, stop short of bashing that hat. I've bashed and rebashed both my Akubras, and it really is exceedingly simple, provided you use steam (while my Federation keeps its shape without steam, the Fedora always required it, even when new).

The only reason I can think of that someone should hesitate is that once they've bashed it they can't return it, but if they're that hesitant about wearing a hat, they should really start with a cheap wool hat.

I like the Stylemaster okay, but it's really just a Fedora that you can't change. For me open crown hats are like buying several hats in one- whenever I want a new hat but can't afford one, I just give one of my current hats a new bash, and it feels like new!

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Akubra Snowy River

Can anyone of the Loungers who has a snowy river hat tell me the height of the crown if it was pushed into an open crown.

I'm thinking of getting this hat, but modifying the bash to something resembling a modified gus.

Harry.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You should be aware that the Snowy River shares the same crown dimension and crease as the Stockman, Overlander, and Cattleman. You might want to broaden the parameters of your request.

warbird

One Too Many
That crown is 4". Around 4 1/2 or so open crown. It would be tough to make it into a Gus crease IMO.

I was about to say you can see a pic of a modified one in another thread, but you found it. :)

Last edited:

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
That crown is 4". Around 4 1/2 or so open crown. It would be tough to make it into a Gus crease IMO.

I was about to say you can see a pic of a modified one in another thread, but you found it. :)

Yup. I may try it with a glen gray camp draft that I have. Still deciding.

Can anyone of the Loungers who has a snowy river hat tell me the height of the crown if it was pushed into an open crown.

I'm thinking of getting this hat, but modifying the bash to something resembling a modified gus.

Harry.

I have a Dallas, which is a Snowy River with a telescope crease & a fancy hat band. I changed it to a teardrop. It is very low crown, maybe 4.5 open crown. Doing any deep crease like a Gus will be a challenge = it'll sit on top of your noggin...

Neophyte

Yup. I may try it with a glen gray camp draft that I have. Still deciding.

I actually did put a Gus in my fawn Campdraft. I can post some pics later if you like. The only problem was that this particular lid didn't have much stiffener left in the felt, so it was hard to maintain the shape.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Harry.

Though it is a David Morgan exclusive ( you can't do the approved "order from Australa" thing with it ) he has a model of Akubra that will take a Gus crease rather well. It is the Bushman and yes it only comes in ONE color, but he has a pic of it done in a rather nice looking Gus like crease on his site :

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=81
take a look, you might like it. BTW, you will get your hat in 3/4 days from him, faster than if you ordered from Australia :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

here is one I got off E-bay that I changed to a Gus. its not a tall crown but it still works.
snowyriver-rebash.jpg

If I was going to give it the Gus look right out the box I would have bought a "Boss fo the plains" or "Silver Spur" they both come open crown.
http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=35
http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=36

The only reason I used the Snowy River was it was cheep on e-bay and I already had one with the factory bash.

Johnny

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
here is one I got off E-bay that I changed to a Gus. its not a tall crown but it still works.
snowyriver-rebash.jpg

If I was going to give it the Gus look right out the box I would have bought a "Boss fo the plains" or "Silver Spur" they both come open crown.
http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=35
http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=36

The only reason I used the Snowy River was it was cheep on e-bay and I already had one with the factory bash.

Johnny

Nice work, Johnny.

Gooch.

davehutch

New in Town
First post. I have a question about the Akubra Snowy River

Hi everybody, I've enjoyed reading your posts over that last couple of days and have just been waiting to have my registration approved before I could post.
I agree with many here that hats should be worn much more often so I wear mine whenever I can. Lately I've "dared" to wear my Panama in London and have received only positive comments. Onwards and upwards!
I was lucky enough to have some friends buy me a Snowy River for my 50th a couple of months ago, but we've had a bit of a heatwave here in London (well, a heatwave as far as we're concerned anyway!) so have resisted wearing it as it has a plastic liner and I didn't think it would be very breathable.
I did find a thread or two from owners who have cut it out or are thinking about it, but I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good hat before I found out more.
My liner is held in with a couple of small lines of adhesive so I actually could remove it and replace it in the future if necessary.
I don't wear hair gel or suchlike so it may not be an issue if my head touches the crown.
Hopefully I've now kind of answered my own query, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

My other query is about chin straps...The David Morgan site in the U.S. states and shows the Snowy River as having chin strap hooks but mine does not.
Does anybody know if this particular feature is a US only addition? I can't see an e-mail address on the Akubra website and the UK Distributor was of no assistance at all.

I'm still trying to find out where my friends ordered it from but what with the non-standard liner, the lack of chin strap hooks and the fact that the liner is actually fairly crooked in the hat, I'm just looking for a little reassurance that my friends weren't duped in some way.
Other than the above, it looks and feels like a quality hat so I very much doubt it, but it would be great o get to the bottom of all of this so I can enjoy it fully.

Any advice appreciated.

ManofKent

Firstly welcome.

Your's is probably the standard Australian model. They don't generally have chin strap hooks.
For UK buyers, buying direct from Australia is generally the cheapest way.

A lot of people do carefully remove the liner - they can easily be reattached with glue or stitches.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Hi, Dave. Isn't this a great place for hat info?

By "plastic" liner, do you mean the plastic oval at the TOP of the liner? If so, that's common, presumably as extra protection for the top of the hat from skin and hair oils. I've carefully trimmed away that clear plastic piece from the satin liner with fine-point scissors, since my hats tend to be taller-crowned and never touch the top of my head. If you do that, just take care not to accidentally cut the satin underneath the plastic.

Or, as you note, it's easy enough to remove the entire liner from the hat. If you want to put it back at any point, you can carefully tuck it back where it belongs and use a few tiny spots of white glue to hold it in place.

Many (all?) of the US-spec Akubras sold and distributed by David Morgan in the US do have those chin-strap hook-eyelets as standard equipment. Akubras from Australia don't. It's likely that hats sold in the UK would come directly from Australia, so they would not have the hooks.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your hat! (I love my 7 different Akubras.)

Howard

davehutch

New in Town
Thanks very much for that. Sounds like I now have al the necessary info.
Yes, my head would probably touch the crown as the height is lower than some models so I'll probably remove the liner and replace in the future if necessary.
Chin straps...understood.

Edward

Bartender
Welcome!

Be wary of taking out the liner entirely if there's a chance you might get hot while wearing it - helps to some degree to avoid sweat stains soaking through, which is not a good look, believe me.

(On that subject, anyone have a good tip on a cleaning product for a light grey furfelt and ribbon with sweat stains?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav