Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Akubra styles.

Day_late

New in Town
I've had an Akubra Snowy River for about 20 years (bought it from L.L.Bean way back when). It needs some attention and I'm kind of tired of the big brim curl. Any ideas about what might work in a conversion or refurb? Is there a Stylemaster hidden in there somewhere?

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I've had an Akubra Snowy River for about 20 years (bought it from L.L.Bean way back when). It needs some attention and I'm kind of tired of the big brim curl. Any ideas about what might work in a conversion or refurb? Is there a Stylemaster hidden in there somewhere?

That not a hard DIY project if you have the inclination. The bash is already about the same. Just cut down the brim to 2.5" and reshape/reflange using a hat jack, lots of steam and possibly a steam iron. I'd remove the leather hatband for the process since you'll be applying steam to the brim/crown joint. Of course if you have a hatter nearby, they could easily do it.

Day_late

New in Town
Turns out I'm five minutes from Black Sheep Hat Works. I left a Stetson Open Road with Bob a couple days ago to be resized. When I pick it up I'll ask about options for the Snowy River, including the Stylemaster. My dilemma probaby isn't unique: play with mods and refurbs or spend a similar amount on a custom?

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
How do the Stylemaster and Bushman differ from the Campdraft?

I'm looking for a traditional fedora shape in the crown, but a wider brim than a normal fedora.

Can the open crowned hats accommodate this?

Which do you recommend?

How do the Stylemaster and Bushman differ from the Campdraft?

I'm looking for a traditional fedora shape in the crown, but a wider brim than a normal fedora.

Can the open crowned hats accommodate this?

Which do you recommend?

Stylemaster has less crown & brim than other 2 but wider band ribbon
Bushman has a wider brim than Campdraft, crown is about the same. Band ribbon is slightly wider

Campdraft is on the outer limits of brim width for a fedora, IMHO, 2 7/8"
Bushman is a drover hat to me, in between fedora & western/cowboy hat, 3 1/4"

I have a Bushman which the PO removed the edge binding so it is at 3" & raw edge, nice alteration.
For the fedora crown & wider brim = Bushman for more outdoor/field hat Campdraft otherwise.

Last edited:

Day_late

New in Town
That not a hard DIY project if you have the inclination. The bash is already about the same. Just cut down the brim to 2.5" and reshape/reflange using a hat jack, lots of steam and possibly a steam iron. I'd remove the leather hatband for the process since you'll be applying steam to the brim/crown joint. Of course if you have a hatter nearby, they could easily do it.

After thinking about it a bit, I decided what was bugging me was the big side curl and unevenness of the brim, particularly in the back. I ironed the brim flat, left the bash as it was, then patiently reworked it with just a bit of sweep up on the sides and moderate sweep down front and back. Looks sort of like a drover style brim. I'll wear it for a while and see how I like it. Thanks for the DIY suggestion.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
After thinking about it a bit, I decided what was bugging me was the big side curl and unevenness of the brim, particularly in the back. I ironed the brim flat, left the bash as it was, then patiently reworked it with just a bit of sweep up on the sides and moderate sweep down front and back. Looks sort of like a drover style brim. I'll wear it for a while and see how I like it. Thanks for the DIY suggestion.

Glad it helped. The great thing about good felt is that it is easily worked with steam and a little patience. I did the same as you with an old Akubra Cockatoo that had the "cowboy" curled sides. Now it looks more like the Angler, which suits me better.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just wearing my Snowy river over two years got the brim flattened out. Never had to iron it. Maybe we get more rain/snow up here.
Johnny

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Bushman has a wider brim than Campdraft, crown is about the same. Band ribbon is slightly wider
Campdraft is on the outer limits of brim width for a fedora, IMHO, 2 7/8"
Bushman is a drover hat to me, in between fedora & western/cowboy hat, 3 1/4"

I have a Bushman which the PO removed the edge binding so it is at 3" & raw edge, nice alteration.
For the fedora crown & wider brim = Bushman for more outdoor/field hat Campdraft otherwise.

My two Bushmen have lower crowns than my two Campdrafts.
The open crowns of the Bushmen measure 5-1/2" in height, while the open crowns of the Campdrafts measure approximately 5-3/4" in height.
The brims of the Bushmen are flatter than the brims of the Campdrafts.
The felt of the Bushmen is a bit stiffer than that of the Campdrafts.
The Nullabor Tan Bushman felt is thinner and stiffer than that of the Moonstone Bushman.
The Mid-Brown "Campdraft" (technically actually an "RM") felt is thinner and softer than that of the Bluegrass Green Campdraft.
My Nullabor Tan Bushman weighs 5.9 oz..
My Moonstone Bushman weighs 6.3 oz..
My Mid-Brown "Campdraft" weighs 4.7 oz..
My Bluegrass Green Campdraft weighs 5.9 oz..

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Curiously, my two "Mid-Brown" Akubras are made of noticeably thinner, lighter, and softer felt than any of my other Akubra hats.
My "Mid-Brown" Akubra RM (2-7/8" brim) weighs 4.7 oz.
My "Mid-Brown" Akubra (David Morgan) Adventurer (3-1/8"x2-3/4" brim) weighs 4.8 oz..
These two hats were purchased six years apart, so their felt would not have been from the same batch.

My three Akubra Squatters (3"x2-7/8" brims) weigh 5.5, 5.6, and 6.0 oz..
My two Akubra Bushmen (3-1/4" brims) weigh 5.9 and 6.3 oz..
My Akubra Campdraft (2-7/8" brim) weighs 5.9 oz..

Has anyone else noticed that their Akubra "Mid-Brown" hats are of a differently textured felt than their other Akubra hats?

Last edited:
...and my Silverbelly Camp Draft is much stiffer than my Bluegrass Green Camp Draft.
I know the feeling. My Taupe Fawn Campdraft was so stiff when I received it that I had to really convince it to take a dry bash. It actually took some effort to snap the front of the brim down, and the first two or three times I tried it just snapped right back up. I think that hat had as much stiffener applied to it as my other three Akubras combined. lol

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have owned a mid-brown Fed III for 12 or 13 years that was surprisingly stiff when I got it, and it has never softened up, despite plenty of wear in rain and snow. In contrast, my (carbon gray) Stylemaster was delightfully soft and flexible from day one. The Fed feels much more like a country hat than a fedora - it has only slightly more flex than my Stockman or Cattleman. I don't know that it's a mid-brown thing, per se, or just that this particular hat had too much stiffener applied...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I know the feeling. My Taupe Fawn Campdraft was so stiff when I received it that I had to really convince it to take a dry bash. It actually took some effort to snap the front of the brim down, and the first two or three times I tried it just snapped right back up. I think that hat had as much stiffener applied to it as my other three Akubras combined. lol

Ha! Yep. Wonder why that is? I'm considering that color in a Imperial Fed and I'm hoping it's not as stiff. BTW my Deluxe Fed is MUCH softer then both my Imperial Camp Drafts.

RJR

I have half a dozen various Akubras and I'd say that the felt is at least slightly different on each.An Adventurer being the softest.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Was considering the Imp Adv from DM but can get the Imp Fed (tawny fawn) from the Hattery for abt $130 to $140 delivered. Prob go w that. Just hoping it's less stiff than the CD Silverbelly.

Last edited:
Was considering the Imp Adv from DM but can get the Imp Fed (tawny fawn) from the Hattery for abt $130 to $140 delivered. Prob go w that. Just hoping it's less stiff than the CD Silverbelly.
When I received my two Fed IVs (purchased a few years apart, both Imperial Quality felt) they were neither overly soft nor overly firm. They both accepted dry shaping easily, but required a shower of distilled water for them to hold the shape because the felt wanted to slowly revert to it's former open crown shape. Unlike the aforementioned Taupe Fawn Campdraft I received, my Silverbelly Campdraft was the same as my Feds. I think it just depends on how much stiffener was applied to each hat body; there doesn't seem to be a "hard and fast" rule about that at Akubra.

Also, in my opinion the Tawny Fawn is the BEST color for the Fed IV; I wish Akubra offered the Campdraft in Tawny Fawn.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
When I received my two Fed IVs (purchased a few years apart, both Imperial Quality felt) they were neither overly soft nor overly firm. They both accepted dry shaping easily, but required a shower of distilled water for them to hold the shape because the felt wanted to slowly revert to it's former open crown shape. Unlike the aforementioned Taupe Fawn Campdraft I received, my Silverbelly Campdraft was the same as my Feds. I think it just depends on how much stiffener was applied to each hat body; there doesn't seem to be a "hard and fast" rule about that at Akubra.

Also, in my opinion the Tawny Fawn is the BEST color for the Fed IV; I wish Akubra offered the Campdraft in Tawny Fawn.

Thanks for that info. Guess stiffness varies from hat to hat and I do kno they'll soften up. Gotta roll the dice n hope the TF Imperial Fed is not that stiff. Gonna b hard to beat the Moonstone for color though! Lol.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I can't disagree. For whatever reason, I'm really liking my brown hats right now. But if/when the time comes when I feel I need or want a gray hat, a Moonstone Fed IV is at the top of my short list.

I wear alot of black (to much!) And also greys, so the Moonstone works. I'll make the Tawny Fawn work too! Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925