Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with an M-41 FIELD JACKET

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars
Hey,
Does anyone know who makes the Best REPRO M41 Field jacket?
I have to say, I bought 1 of WWII IMPRESSIONS and I was dissappointed. I always LOVE their Items, but the jacket was a let down.

Any recommendations?
I know WPG and ATF, who makes the best??
I forgot BUZZ RICKSON but theirs are almost $400, I could buy a mint original 1 for that price.

Does anyone have 1 for sale by chance?
Size 42 Preferred, but let me know (40, 42, 44 etc....)
Thank you!

DannyBoy

New in Town
I've owned a WPG M-41 before. Pretty good jacket, I'd recommend it.

I've also heard some pretty darn good things about the current run of ATF jackets. Apparently the material and color are very good. There are minor issues that some have found ie. cuff stitching differs from originals, some of the tabs and bands are off by about 1/8-1/4 of an inch, and some reinforcing stitching is missing (most of these factors are in fact addressed on ATF's website). If you don't have someone with a magnifying glass bearing down on you and counting your stitches though I think these things would be hardly noticeable. Also they will be doing a new run next year which will supposedly fix these small problems. ATF's Parson's jackets do not have these flaws (which I might pick up before their holiday sale ends :D ).

I've seen WWII Impressions jackets before and I agree they look really funky, they're almost a radioactive green. *yucky*

Bottom line, if I needed an M41 immediately I'd go with ATF's, and if I had a little extra time I'd wait for their 2010 run, but either way they seem to have a solid product.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I like my ATF M41.
Had it several years, wear it nearly every day at work and it's held up very well. Looks 'combat worn' now with stains and fraying around the sleeves just like the originals.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
I have owned 2 ATFs and my most recent purchase was a Chinese Copy that I need to replace the buttons on.

I currently have an ATF that looks like it has been there.

With any reproduction military garment I would have to say its not who makes it but how you wear it.

JoshK

New in Town
I'll recommend the ATF M1941 1st Pattern Field Jackets as they are pretty much 100% correct.

The ATF regular M1941 Field Jackets on the other hand are incorrect in zipper length, cuff stitching, and epaulet length. These issues should be fixed in their upcoming run, so I would wait till those come in prior to purchase.

I can't speak for the WPG Field Jacket, but from what I have seen the shell and the liner are good but the cut is for a "Hungry Man" and not really the authentic taper or anything, so prior to purchase I would contact them and see what size he would recommend.

-Josh

Davep

One of the Regulars
I have to agree with Danny, the WW2 Impression ones are an intense green. I have one, and over the years the color has faded and improved. But on day-one they are out of place.

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars

I LOVE Juan's wool "dud's" at WWII IMPRESSIONS, but the M41 was Too green and the wool was way too thin. The original I have is beat to crap but the wool in the liner is still twice as thick as the new WWII IMPRESSIONS. Juan let me send it back for a refund.
I am going to buy a ATF. I know he said the 2010 run will not have the "minor issues", but I am going to get 1 now, as who knows if the 2010 will have any issues, and my main concern is color, weight, outter and inner looks.
The short epulette is okay with me.

What about TANKERS?? I had a 44 from WWII IMPRESSIONS. I sent it back too, and swaping out with a 46, but its crazy green too, but I have never seen an original Tanker face to face. Just in photos so I dont know what to look for color wise.

Any thoughts?

Thank you all!

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Tankers, I have seen ATFs and WPGs and they are both top notch, I favor WPGs. Having owned an original Tanker when I was a kid, about 3 years ago I got a tanker from Hessen Antique and it was pretty spot on, the wool lining was a little thin, but not so thin that it wasnt acceptable if that makes sense.

JoshK

New in Town
For Winter Combat Jackets I would recommend ATF as they have the correct taper and everything. The only ones better in my opinion are Buzz Ricksons but those cost about $300 not the $125 that I got mine for. What Price Glory, as with allot their items, do not have the proper cut and are made in "Hungry Man" cut.

If going to get an ATF M1941 Field Jacket I would get the 1st Pattern as they are 100% correct.

Edit:
Here is me in an ATF Tanker Jacket(biggest problem is the zipper goes up about 1/4 inch or so to far up):

Front:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn24/redjoshman/1st ID Impression/February 1945/DSC_0016.jpg

Back:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn24/redjoshman/1st ID Impression/February 1945/DSC_0018.jpg

Semi closeup of upper knit :
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn24/redjoshman/Profile Pictures/DSC_0008.jpg

-Josh

Davep

One of the Regulars
One thing about WPG everything is made and shipped from overseas (Pakistan). My understanding is he doesn't keep any inventory in the states. So there is no Quality Control on WPG side, other than the customers inspecting his/her purchase, and then living with it or sending it back for a refund or replacement.

Marv

A-List Customer
I currently have an M41 from a UK supplier as it was much cheaper to buy from the UK than the US.
Here's the link, not sure who the manufacturer is but I am pretty sure it's imported.
Not a bad jacket at all for the price and it's pretty warm considering the cold weather the UK is currently having.

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I've owned a near mint M-41 field jacket, an ATF repro and I own a Buzz Rickson M-41.

Honestly, the Buzz Rickson comes the closest to an original that I know of. And, even though you may be able to get a near mint M-41 field jacket for about the price of what Buzz Rickson charges, good luck finding one. If you do find one, it would be like winning the lotto if it were your particular size.

The other thing is that I felt funny wearing the near mint original since they are so rare. I have no guilt when wearing the Buzz Rickson repro.

Here is a picture of the original:

!B,5d2kgBGk~$(KGrHqEH-DcEq)OO+!TqBKtksRS4o!~~_3.JPG

- Ian

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
I would have to agree that ATF has the best M41 Jackets, really cool part is after you wear it a few times it starts looking original! When I got mine back in ought 7 I painted the Signal Corps Insignia on the right shoulder blade. And to this day if I wear it around collectors ask me if I was willing to part with it. I mean it looks awesome, you gotta beat the crap outta it tho to get the look wear it a lot and don't be afraid to get it dirty!

And if it gets below ohh 32* (which is does IN THE DESERT!) I wear the tanker jacket.

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars

Okay, I got my M41 From ATF, and Its great!
Its really spot on for me.
Now, I bought my tanker from WWII IMPRESSIONS. Its PEA Green. I really dont like it. I am trying to see if I can take it back and get one from ATF.
I really like ATF's M41's I am betting that Their TANKER is just as nice.

Can anyone tell me regarding the TANKER if it has a TALON Zipper and how thick the wool lining is? Any issues with the tanker?

Thank you guys!

Edward

Bartender
Marv said:
I currently have an M41 from a UK supplier as it was much cheaper to buy from the UK than the US.
Here's the link, not sure who the manufacturer is but I am pretty sure it's imported.
Not a bad jacket at all for the price and it's pretty warm considering the cold weather the UK is currently having.

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

By any chance is there a WPG lable tucked away in there somewhere? A lot of the SoF items in their reenactors' catalogue comes from WPG, like my officer's bush shirt, with which I am very pleased. Funnily enough, I've been eyeing up their M41 just recently as a casual alternative to leather.... I'm not as worried as some about total accuracy, though, as my interest in period military styles is really more about using it in a civilian context.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran