Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with choosing a leather jacket

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hold on a sec. I seem to remember a couple of years back all these modified Aeros coming off the production line and there being a lot of gushing and positive comments. Funny how times change ;)

Yeah when i first started reading this forum, Aero were praised BECAUSE of the level of customisation they allowed at the time....

I chose my changes carefully, and none of them changed the designs, just details like materials in pockets, snaps vs buttons, and the leather strip inside. I still like that one, but so it goes.
Changing the basic design is a different beast. Find some old posts of folks changing the patterns. I bet there aren't many if any.
Even the sheerling collar I got is less than a perfect addition. I see why they stopped that.
Apples and oranges. It also leads to much longer wait times and queues. Fooey to that.

winterland1

Practically Family
Coudn't help myself.
the-neverending-story.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Even the sheerling collar I got is less than a perfect addition. I see why they stopped that.

That's odd Butte, just a couple of months back you were saying it was great and to go for the removable collar. I only remember this because I've always had a soft spot for your LHB Deluxe and you were discussing it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The guy's said he wants an AL version of Aero's LHB or perhaps Hercules, with mods that I doubt Aero would turn their nose up at - the cargo pockets and breast pocket wiped off. He's asked a million questions, we've all done our best to answer them. I say we just let him on with it, and maybe he'll show us when it's done. [huh] I always thought Butte's jacket was just a deluxe HB.

Last edited:
That's odd Butte, just a couple of months back you were saying it was great and to go for the removable collar. I only remember this because I've always had a soft spot for your LHB Deluxe and you were discussing it.

It is great for why I got it - to keep warm. As a fashion piece, it's just not as great as a fastened-on collar. If your read my posts on that, you'll see I've said that as well. The design is tough to put on as opposed to snaps. And you have "two collars" so it's tough to keep it under control. But for warmth, it's super.

Deviations from the design were limited to:
Snaps on cuffs instead of buttons.
Removable collar - an Aero option at the time.
Snaps on collar (A-2 style).
Leather interior hem "guard". an Aero option at the time

Otherwise, just chose the lining/materials I wanted. It really did not deviate from the HBD you'd see on the site. Same pockets (in and out) and hide.
As time goes on, I appreciate the fit more than making mine "unique". As it stands, wearing an Aero/GW/ELC, etc will already set you apart from 99% of the jacket-wearing public. I learned that over the years and now I simply find the model and want and work to get it to fit me right. If anyone asks me now, the priority is just that.
As in "location location location" I proclaim "fit fit fit" for jackets.
If you like the look of a specific model, then really that's all there is. IMHO of course :)

Last edited:

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I agree with Butte.

I've tried to custom jackets and they have always turned out not for the better. As Butte is saying (I think), changing the design of the jacket too much just puts too many variables into play.

Like Butte, I now only change pockets, liners, etc. I have a D1 on order and have changed some things- finished hem and sleeves and no zippers on the pockets. Although these change the historical accuracy of the jacket, they don't change the design.

Another thing is I always order through Insurrection now. Really a no brainer for North American customers.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Hi all...

I thought I would post a pic of my previous jacket that I had for just over 8 years...which is what I wanted something similar too, just to give perspective since I talked about it a lot already...

jacket.jpg

I'm not sure how to make pictures smaller...sorry about that.

Certainly not an amazing jacket...but It has a lot of sentimental and emotional value for reasons I won't go into.....

When I ordered my Arkansas from Alexander Leather, they told me the standard pattern included the angled dip to the front, making it a bit longer than the back, but said they could leave it off and have both the front and back the same length if I wanted. I chose the dip and am glad I did - there is something about actually wearing it that makes the front and back seem more even. Maybe it's my body, but when the front and back are the same length, the front LOOKS shorter when I'm wearing it. Must be the way it hangs on my shoulders.

Well..that's something to consider.

I hadn't even considered there would be different lengths for front and back, as I'm assuming my previous jacket was the same length all around.

It would be useful to be able try them on to compare, but haven't found anywhere that carries these types of jackets so far.

I probably won't change anything dip-wise just to be safe.

So, my advice to MuyJingo is to concentrate more on the fit of your jacket rather than the many modifications that can be made to it. If you want the standard fitted feel of the period Aero jackets, then you should be fine. If you want a more relaxed fit, then go over that with them.

To me, fit is the most important part of the jacket. Make sure you get that right.

Yup!

Working that out now that the design is pretty much done.

Since most outwear I've had before had been in medium or large sizes, this is a more involved process.

Just have to make sure It's slim enough to wear with just a shirt, but that I can fit a sweater under it if need be.

Winter in NYC can get pretty chilly.

I chose my changes carefully, and none of them changed the designs, just details like materials in pockets, snaps vs buttons, and the leather strip inside. I still like that one, but so it goes.

What do you mean when you refer to the leather strip inside?

He's asked a million questions, we've all done our best to answer them. I say we just let him on with it, and maybe he'll show us when it's done. [huh] I always thought Butte's jacket was just a deluxe HB.

Indeed...I've found the community very welcoming and helpful.

If anything I feel somewhat embarrased that I'm going with a simple design in the end. I feel like I've wasted peoples time, which was never my intention.

And of course I would supply pics, it's the least I could do.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
I do have some follow up questions about linings and such, just from what I've seen other people post..

Is the advantage of a tartan lining over a cotton lining warmth, or fashion? If warmth, whats the max temp you'd want to wear the jacket in, with say goatskin or jerky horse leather?

I saw a comment from someone, I think Butte or Fanch, saying drill cotton lined sleeves can be hard to get into, and that sateen lined sleeves make this a lot easier. Is this true?

I've also seen reference to leather lined cuffs....what is the advantage of that, over say cotton lined cuffs?

I also saw that some people had the handwarmer pockets replaced with moleskin. Is this very much warmer?

I tend to keep my wallet with my hand in my right warmer pocket, and don't always wear gloves so warmer pockets definitely sounds like a plus.

Thank you all.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I do have some follow up questions about linings and such, just from what I've seen other people post..

Is the advantage of a tartan lining over a cotton lining warmth, or fashion? If warmth, whats the max temp you'd want to wear the jacket in, with say goatskin or jerky horse leather?

I saw a comment from someone, I think Butte or Fanch, saying drill cotton lined sleeves can be hard to get into, and that sateen lined sleeves make this a lot easier. Is this true?

I've also seen reference to leather lined cuffs....what is the advantage of that, over say cotton lined cuffs?

I also saw that some people had the handwarmer pockets replaced with moleskin. Is this very much warmer?

I tend to keep my wallet with my hand in my right warmer pocket, and don't always wear gloves so warmer pockets definitely sounds like a plus.

Thank you all.

Keep your old jacket & buy a big wool jumper...you will be much happier...im sure will at alexander leather will sort you out......:p

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just choose MuyJingo, just choose. All your questions can be answered by some research on this site. I set aside several hours for this when I started looking for jacket ideas. You can also ring Insurrection and explore the options with them - they are experts.

wdw

One Too Many
I'm kind of of the opinion that the more you think it, the more likely you are to be disappointed by something. I overthunk my first order and placed a second almost identical order before receiving the first. Needless to say both were returned and I lost hundreds.

Just go through Insurrection and discuss all your queries with them.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
I'm not going through Insurrection/Aero, so that isn't really an option.

Just choose MuyJingo, just choose. All your questions can be answered by some research on this site. I set aside several hours for this when I started looking for jacket ideas. You can also ring Insurrection and explore the options with them - they are experts.

I have done research, and I've chosen the design, there are just a few minor things I'm wanting to check.

That's it.

Truth be told, the search function isn't that great and searching by title only doesn't always reveal useful info.

I wouldn't have asked these last very few specific questions if there wasn't a reason for it.

I'm kind of of the opinion that the more you think it, the more likely you are to be disappointed by something. I overthunk my first order and placed a second almost identical order before receiving the first. Needless to say both were returned and I lost hundreds.

Just go through Insurrection and discuss all your queries with them.

I'm not overthinking it.

From reading and researching threads on the boards, I've seen various references and opinions on linings, pocket linings, etc.

Since I'm forking out a lot of money and have the ability to customize those options, it makes sense to double check a few things.

I'd appreciate it if comments telling me to stop asking questions would cease however...

But, whatever. If people don't want to answer, they won't, if they do they do.

I'm not begging for answers or repeating questions, I'm asking fairly specific questions based on what I've read and tried to research.

edit: Thread has become too large, too much negativity and taken on a life of it's own. Time to let it die....

Last edited:

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I'm not going through Insurrection/Aero, so that isn't really an option.

I have done research, and I've chosen the design, there are just a few minor things I'm wanting to check.

That's it.

Truth be told, the search function isn't that great and searching by title only doesn't always reveal useful info.

I wouldn't have asked these last very few specific questions if there wasn't a reason for it.

I'm not overthinking it.

From reading and researching threads on the boards, I've seen various references and opinions on linings, pocket linings, etc.

Since I'm forking out a lot of money and have the ability to customize those options, it makes sense to double check a few things.

I'd appreciate it if comments telling me to stop asking questions would cease however...

But, whatever. If people don't want to answer, they won't, if they do they do.

I'm not begging for answers or repeating questions, I'm asking fairly specific questions based on what I've read and tried to research.

edit: Thread has become too large, too much negativity and taken on a life of it's own. Time to let it die....
:eeek:

Walkin' into this joint throwing around words like AL and Aero in the same thread, and asking a whole lotta questions certainly does stir things up.
Yes- they always take on a life of their own...that's what threads do on forums.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ouch!

I think a lot of people have been very generous answering questions that have been asked and answered countless times before. Thats gratitude for ya....

Anyway, good luck with the purchase.

Ouch!

I think a lot of people have been very generous answering questions that have been asked and answered countless times before. Thats gratitude for ya....

I noticed this coming out on the various MuyJingo threads. That's why I have mainly kept quiet. Very selective and even admonishing...yet then apologetic maunderings thrown in the mix. Bizarre to say the least IMO. Oh well..I'm sure he'll get er done.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy