Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with choosing a leather jacket

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Below is a pic of what I think he finally selected and received:
K5DIMpp.jpg

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seems to me there's way too many selfies or otherwise that could belong in a thread all their own...the title shall remain unspoken.

Thats a little ungrateful, everyone always asks for fit pics and not everyone always has someone on hand to take a picture of them. While I agree selfies aren't as good as a "proper" picture, they are better than nothing.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think that MuyJingo had some issues with the modified black goatskin longrider that he received from AL 2-3 months ago. Below is his the thread on the FL. I don't know whether or not his jacket was kept, exchanged, or returned.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...longrider-in-goatskin-from-Alexander-Leathers

I'm guessing he returned it.....this looks and sounds a LOT like what he ordered. Its a shame he wasn't happy with it after all that.....

http://www.alexanderleathers.com/sale/long-rider-black-goat.html

Jeigernaut

New in Town
how weird. i just read this thread start to finish today and lo and behold, ppl have come back to this thread today. don't like the way that jacket turned out and apparently, neither did he. learned quite a bit though.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think the most valuable advice offered to MuyJingo, and perhaps to all of us, during the course of this long and tortuous thread is that proper fit is the most important factor to achieve when buying any jacket. In this instance, the jacket seemed too small for him, based on his description of fit. Also, the half belt seemed to be located 2-3" above the natural waist although others might disagree. In any case, had he paid a bit more and taken a bit more time by going through Insurrection with a test jacket, perhaps the outcome might have been different for him.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Realistically, a highly customized jacket should be attempted a) once one has had experience with some variety of leather jackets, and b) with a vendor one has experience with re: sizing based on one's measurements. I have a guy that makes my suits and while the first suit was 'ok' and wearable, I don't think he nailed perfection until the third suit. And wool is much easier to make corrections; but perhaps leather is a bit more forgiving for 1/2" discrepancies. YMMV. In short, I think it would be the exception to send measurements to a new vendor and get a perfectly fitting jacket the first time...something is likely to be off, especially if the relationship is long distance. If you can actually go to the vendor and have them size you up, I think your probability for success will only increase. I like the idea of a test jacket; really makes it easier for both sides.

Yep..a test jacket rules. Plus that vender can help with leather jacket pocket lingo such as 'G-1 style pockets' and why or if an elastic band within the bi-swing back is recommended. A novice attempting to re/over-engineer a leather jacket can be a disaster as we've seen before.
HD

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yep..a test jacket rules. Plus that vender can help with leather jacket pocket lingo such as 'G-1 style pockets' and why or if an elastic band within the bi-swing back is recommended. A novice attempting to re/over-engineer a leather jacket can be a disaster as we've seen before.
HD

Yep HD, I couldn't agree more. I have lost count of the number of times I have shown my derrière while attempting to reinvent the wheel. :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy