Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help With Custom Hat Order

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I concur with your choice, Brent. Mike at NW made me a bowler from the old Black Cherry felt and used a mid-silver/grey ribbon (might be called Commando???) that looks great; a very complementary color. I'll post pictures in the New Hats thread. [My TFL friends will have to forgive me. I am very delinquent in posting several new hats :( ]

Here is a pic I saved from another post. This one might be one of Bill's hats @Bill Hughes
View attachment 392557
Not mine but I wish it was.

I concur with your choice, Brent. Mike at NW made me a bowler from the old Black Cherry felt and used a mid-silver/grey ribbon (might be called Commando???) that looks great; a very complementary color. I'll post pictures in the New Hats thread. [My TFL friends will have to forgive me. I am very delinquent in posting several new hats :( ]

Here is a pic I saved from another post. This one might be one of Bill's hats @Bill Hughes
View attachment 392557

Thanks. I think the silver-gray ribbon sounds nicer than a charcoal ribbon.

A year later and I’m asking for suggestions again. This is going to be a Playboy style hat without brim binding:

Lagoon:
F938E4DE-B4C4-465D-80B2-3441E11C0A23.jpeg

Steel:
B609A964-D7C2-4390-831F-43F73E4A95E8.jpeg

Slate:
7191BC57-ED59-4F14-AC02-8E08220EFB5E.jpeg

Greybelly;

9A39F01F-0EE6-4E45-84CE-10CDABAC624E.jpeg

Nu Grey:
3301C600-CB07-41AB-90C0-B2E19EAAFE33.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

A year later and I’m asking for suggestions again. This is going to be a Playboy style hat without brim binding:

Lagoon:
View attachment 483318

Steel:
View attachment 483319

Slate:
View attachment 483320

Greybelly;

View attachment 483321

Nu Grey:
View attachment 483322

Thanks in advance!
Funny coincidence. I have a Silverbelly felt that I am thinking of making up for myself. Looking hard at using the Lagoon ribbon on it. It is a nice clean look with a bit of pizzazz. Looked at a Lagoon brim binding but it was a bit too flashy for me. Is it the Dark Steel or just Steel? The Dark Steel is nice too as it has lots of blue undertones in it.

Funny coincidence. I have a Silverbelly felt that I am thinking of making up for myself. Looking hard at using the Lagoon ribbon on it. It is a nice clean look with a bit of pizzazz. Looked at a Lagoon brim binding but it was a bit too flashy for me. Is it the Dark Steel or just Steel? The Dark Steel is nice too as it has lots of blue undertones in it.

I’m not sure which version of steel Gannon has. I asked for his recommendations and this is what he sent me. I’m leaning towards either lagoon or “Nu Grey.”

Lagoon def has more pop to it. The NuGrey is quite soft...nice but subtle. I am trying to break out of my subtle lane!!

I have a fair few with some pop. I’ve been looking at the Playboys on Parade thread for inspiration. It seems that the vintage Playboys had contrasting as well as tone on tone ribbon options. I also see that some early versions have top of the crown venting similar to what mine will have. I need to make a decision soon.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I thought I had posted this Gannon Silverbelly Western before, but I can't find any pics on my tablet.

Michael calls this ribbon Piccadilly green. It is a medium green with a grey tint. These pictures are dark and not exactly accurate but you might be able to imagine the color.

GW 1.jpg GW6.jpg

This is probably the most accurate color. GW7.jpg Western 1.jpg Western 2.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Lagoon:
View attachment 483318

Steel:
View attachment 483319

Slate:
View attachment 483320

Greybelly;

View attachment 483321

Nu Grey:
View attachment 483322

Thanks in advance!

I had a Gannon made in silverbelly with charcoal. It pairs well with multitudes of attire.

i-mWHNv3r-M.jpg

i-3qGMLPG-M.jpg

The below pic is not exactly featuring ribbon hues, but it serves me as a reference to ribbon hues and how they compliment different felt.

i-jkrfZ4W-M.jpg

I thought I had posted this Gannon Silverbelly Western before, but I can't find any pics on my tablet.

Michael calls this ribbon Piccadilly green. It is a medium green with a grey tint. These pictures are dark and not exactly accurate but you might be able to imagine the color.

View attachment 483352 View attachment 483353

This is probably the most accurate color. View attachment 483354 View attachment 483355 View attachment 483356

Dang the Piccadilly green is sharp! I may have to add a hat to the Gannon que. Cheers!

View attachment 483352 View attachment 483353

This is probably the most accurate color. View attachment 483354 View attachment 483355 View attachment 483356

Fantastic! The problem is I’m now expanding my options rather than narrowing them :)
I guess TFL solution is to get one of each.

I had a Gannon made in silverbelly with charcoal. It pairs well with multitudes of attire.

i-mWHNv3r-M.jpg

i-3qGMLPG-M.jpg

The below pic is not exactly featuring ribbon hues, but it serves me as a reference to ribbon hues and how they compliment different felt.

i-jkrfZ4W-M.jpg

Dang the Piccadilly green is sharp! I may have to add a hat to the Gannon que. Cheers!

Thank you, Eric. I’m swimming in possibilities and it really helps seeing finished hats. Your hats have always been a source of inspiration!

raychenc

New in Town
I am having a custom fedora made. Initially the default crown height was 5.5”. But I was worried it was too tall, and asked for 4.5” (with 2-3/8” brim), patterning it after the Stetson whippet.

Is 4.5” more versatile vs 5.5”? I do not plan on reshaping the crown much.

Thanks for your response. This is my first post and I am new to this world of hats. I appreciate you.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I am having a custom fedora made. Initially the default crown height was 5.5”. But I was worried it was too tall, and asked for 4.5” (with 2-3/8” brim), patterning it after the Stetson whippet.

Thanks for your response. This is my first post and I am new to this world of hats. I appreciate you.

Wait, what?

5.5" is a very common open crown (i.e. unshaped) height.

4.5" is fairly standard as the creased height, particularly with blocked in creases, but you would not want a hat with a 4.5" open crown....at least not a fedora.

It is crucial to be clear on exactly what we are talking about here. Are you referring to the open crown height or to the finished height? I like tall crowns ....about 5" is the tallest and I have some that are 4.5" WHEN BASHED or creased. It takes about an inch off the crown for a standard centre dent crease and more if you want a deep Diamond or Teardrop crease.

It is dead simple to lower the crown 1/4" or more with a little steam and hand manipulation. If you get the open crown too short you are limiting what style of crease you can put into the hat. I suggest 5.5" in the absolute minimum you want in the open crown and I suggest 5 3/4" is optimum unless you are getting a low crowned pork pie. A good experienced custom hatter should be able to direct you to the correct height for the style you are ordering. Ask him or her tons of questions til you get it right.

Thanks for responses. I am referring to crown height after bashed and shaped.
So the next question is: what style are you having made for you? I would suggest that 5 1/2" is a very tall crown and it would be an true outlier in terms of style. What brim width are you getting? There is a certain degree proportionality plays in a hat's style. I have a middle of road Stetson LE that is a real popular style with my customers. It has a 2 1/2" brim and a simple 4 1/2" centre dent crown (5 3/8" open crown). It is a nice safe choice for those new to hat wearing. I also find that repeat customers will begin to stretch their definition and their next hat is likely to have a wider brim and taller crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko