Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with hair rolling

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I'm being a bit naughty here and querying some 50's hair.....but I need help from the hair rolling experts!

First, Marilyn:

marilyn_monroe_gallery_30.jpg

and Liz Taylor

ETStarPortraitlarge.jpg

2.jpg

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
one thing i HAVE TO KNOW before i give you any info is your hair type and how many layers you have in your hair.

1# if you have naturally curly hair,all you have to do is brush it out and put it in hot sticks. if your hair is naturally straight and fine-ish please know that Lottabody is your new "BFF" and that pincurls are the foundations for awsome curls.
2# the one intended thing to do is have layers in your hair to create dimension in you curls and honestly,the little "flippy" thing in Liz Taylors hair can only happen if you have a chunk of layers in the front.
3# these are intended to be soft curls so a tight pincurl set would be used so that the curl relaxes when you brush it. although pincurls are very tricky,especially when the hair is short.

and don't feel bad if your pincurls don't look perfect, you can always brush it out.
if your having any trouble with any hair thing just PM me.k?;)

and yess pictures would help alot if you can post them.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
sweatyspaghetti said:
one thing i HAVE TO KNOW before i give you any info is your hair type and how many layers you have in your hair.

1# if you have naturally curly hair,all you have to do is brush it out and put it in hot sticks. if your hair is naturally straight and fine-ish please know that Lottabody is your new "BFF" and that pincurls are the foundations for awsome curls.
2# the one intended thing to do is have layers in your hair to create dimension in you curls and honestly,the little "flippy" thing in Liz Taylors hair can only happen if you have a chunk of layers in the front.
3# these are intended to be soft curls so a tight pincurl set would be used so that the curl relaxes when you brush it. although pincurls are very tricky,especially when the hair is short.

and don't feel bad if your pincurls don't look perfect, you can always brush it out.
if your having any trouble with any hair thing just PM me.k?;)

and yess pictures would help alot if you can post them.

fine naturally curly hair, but lots of it!

Layered through the back from a previous haircut (growing out a Felicity Season 3 do)

Hate my hair after its brushed out of its curl - its so tight it just goes frizzy - so i prefer to set hair on large velcro rollers to smooth

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
yes that would seem about right. fine curly hair would need to be blown out straight then the much needed Lottabody would do its work,well,id say to have a row of 3 pincurls going up....and on the other side put a sponge roller on,don't roll the hair innit just put the spongey thing on top and the thing that holds it on the bottom, it should create a nice wave on top. then in the back create a cluster of curls with big sponge rollers.

but a reeally nice cheat to do is to get a 1 1/2 curling iron and make about six curls on each side then pin them to your head. all you need for that is hairspray and heat protectant,but its optional coz the heat protectant weighs the hair down a bit.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Rita, I feel your pain! Keep the heat to a minimum, when possible.
I have fine curlies, as well. WHen my hair was longer, I could let it air dry (with tons of goop in it) into big waves and I could work with just curling the ends under. It was sooo pretty, until I cut and straightened it all the time (for a short-lived job, another story), now I'm avoiding heat. It's been a year and I still have breakage growing out. [huh] I hate having curly hair, it's frustrating. You can only let it air-dry (unless you starighten), to avoid the fluff, but in the winter it doesn't dry. The work place doesn't like wet/damp hair. The professional world doesn't understand the frustraions of culy hair.

I agree with sweaty, the curling iron does these styles pretty easily. I do the monroe pretty frequently. I use a temperature control curling Iron. Fine hair shouldn't use the hotter setting...I french fried my hair this way.

Sweaty, I'm going to have to try the Lotta, everyone is raving about. Hair spray is just too sticky, I need something better.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Lareesie Ladavi said:
Rita, I feel your pain! Keep the heat to a minimum, when possible.
I have fine curlies, as well. WHen my hair was longer, I could let it air dry (with tons of goop in it) into big waves and I could work with just curling the ends under. It was sooo pretty, until I cut and straightened it all the time (for a short-lived job, another story), now I'm avoiding heat. It's been a year and I still have breakage growing out. [huh] I hate having curly hair, it's frustrating. You can only let it air-dry (unless you starighten), to avoid the fluff, but in the winter it doesn't dry. The work place doesn't like wet/damp hair. The professional world doesn't understand the frustraions of culy hair.

I agree with sweaty, the curling iron does these styles pretty easily. I do the monroe pretty frequently. I use a temperature control curling Iron. Fine hair shouldn't use the hotter setting...I french fried my hair this way.

Sweaty, I'm going to have to try the Lotta, everyone is raving about. Hair spray is just too sticky, I need something better.

Awww....Lareesie Ladavi.....be frustrated with the curls....but dont ever hate them. I get so many compliments about mine - and when they are treated right....they sit beautifully.

Ive bleached and straightened mine....all it needs is a bit of TLC and it sorts itself out - PM me if you need a fellow curly to talk to - I understand!

My hair and I have an agreement...it lets me tease it and roll it all week, and on weekend, I let it go natural and give it a protein treatment now and then and a hydrating mask every weekend!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Thanks Rita, I just may do that. :)

I'm actually on my way out to get some gunk for my hair. I like the Pantene hair stuff "for women of color". It works pretty well. I've often wondered how women, like Marilyn, kept their hair intact.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Lareesie Ladavi said:

I'm actually on my way out to get some gunk for my hair. I like the Pantene hair stuff "for women of color". It works pretty well. I've often wondered how women, like Marilyn, kept their hair intact.

well - given she had her roots done every week I think its safe to say someone set her hair for her daily

I think we need to remember that these ladies we all admire were the equivalent of mdern day celebrities who have an army of paid help - including stylists, make up artists and hairdressers

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Lareesie Ladavi said:

I stopped using silicones (Pantene is the devil in my opinion!) and just use bi carb soda to wash now. Shampoos are too harsh

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I have my same thoguhts about the stuff too, but then, I worry more about the plastic products our food products are packaged in/eat out of. Sometimes I wanna say "why breath?", like others, but you do wonder about all the stuff we use, as consumers. [huh]

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Lareesie Ladavi said:
I have my same thoguhts about the stuff too, but then, I worry more about the plastic products our food products are packaged in/eat out of. Sometimes I wanna say "why breath?", like others, but you do wonder about all the stuff we use, as consumers. [huh]

Its not so much the chemicals - well it is I guess - Pantene has the icky silicone in it that weighs hair down and requires a good scrubbing to remove...hence rubbing the curls the wrong way!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
LOL That's exactly why I like it! I've gotta way my poof down...that and it's so screwed up right now, that I have use the junk to get a brush through. Lord, I wished I never cut it. I'll never learn, I do thise and every time I end up hating it!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Lareesie Ladavi said:
LOL That's exactly why I like it! I've gotta way my poof down...that and it's so screwed up right now, that I have use the junk to get a brush through. Lord, I wished I never cut it. I'll never learn, I do thise and every time I end up hating it!

You shouldnt be brushing it much anyway! Too much tearing! I only comb mine when its wet and with conditioner in it, or combing out rollers.

I put my hair on a "diet". I stopped using shampoo (as I said - BiCarb and Water eliminates build up just as good) but before I stopped the shampoo I did give it one last good clarify. Then i stopped using any products containing silicone (I only use the water soluble ones)

I used MOP mixed greens to wash it and MOP Leave In Conditioner to style it to leave curly. The first few weeks are the worst, but your hair sorts itself out.

I didnt even tell my best friend what I was doing, and she commented one day that it was looking really healthy and shiny (and we know curly hair doesnt shine that much!) and wondered what I was doing. I told two hairdresser friends of what I did after they too told me how good my hair was. The curl definition was fabulous, and not weighed down, but bouncy.

Let it breathe!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Lareesie Ladavi said:
LOL That's exactly why I like it! I've gotta way my poof down...that and it's so screwed up right now, that I have use the junk to get a brush through.

Thats probably your hairs problem.....its a vicious cycle....the silicone can also make it frizzy. Needs a good wash, a good condition and some TLC I suspect!

My hair stopped being so angry all the time :)

Tatum

Practically Family
RitaHayworth said:
You shouldnt be brushing it much anyway! Too much tearing! I only comb mine when its wet and with conditioner in it, or combing out rollers.

I put my hair on a "diet". I stopped using shampoo (as I said - BiCarb and Water eliminates build up just as good) but before I stopped the shampoo I did give it one last good clarify. Then i stopped using any products containing silicone (I only use the water soluble ones)

I used MOP mixed greens to wash it and MOP Leave In Conditioner to style it to leave curly. The first few weeks are the worst, but your hair sorts itself out.

I didnt even tell my best friend what I was doing, and she commented one day that it was looking really healthy and shiny (and we know curly hair doesnt shine that much!) and wondered what I was doing. I told two hairdresser friends of what I did after they too told me how good my hair was. The curl definition was fabulous, and not weighed down, but bouncy.

Let it breathe!

Rita, I've seen your post about this before, and I'm really curious about the bi-carb. Is that club soda here in the States? What do you do? And I am unfamiliar with the MOP. Explain please? Thanks!

Love, Greasy-haired Tatum :)

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Tatum said:
Rita, I've seen your post about this before, and I'm really curious about the bi-carb. Is that club soda here in the States? What do you do? And I am unfamiliar with the MOP. Explain please? Thanks!

Love, Greasy-haired Tatum :)

If I'm translating correctly, Bicarb is also called bicarbonate of soda, or for us yanks, simple baking soda. It's white stuff that you use in baking to help bread rise because it reacts with yeast.

Tatum

Practically Family
maggiethespy said:
If I'm translating correctly, Bicarb is also called bicarbonate of soda, or for us yanks, simple baking soda. It's white stuff that you use in baking to help bread rise because it reacts with yeast.

Really? So how does one shampoo with it, just rubbing it into wet hair?

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
RitaHayworth, ehh I don't brush much at all... I can't, it will break off. It's damaged, so the brush won't go through without help. It will get back to normal. I don't use heat, but once-a-week.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Lareesie Ladavi said:
RitaHayworth, ehh I don't brush much at all... I can't, it will break off. It's damaged, so the brush won't go through without help. It will get back to normal. I don't use heat, but once-a-week.

If its really damaged, get some Redken Extreme into it (get a hairdresser to check though if its damaged enough to benefit it) a bit of Protein might help.

Otherwise moisture moisture moisture!

:eusa_doh: You poor thing!!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Tatum said:
Really? So how does one shampoo with it, just rubbing it into wet hair?

Yep. I cup of warm water and 1 - 2 tablespoons of bicarb/baking soda. Leave in for a minute or two and rinse.

I generally wet, wash with a condish and then do the soda trick or the other way around. Wet hair first.

If mixture is too pasty, it will leave your hair feeling yuck, so keep it to a salty looking fluid!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner