Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with restoring bakelite

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Hi all,

I just received a bakelite inkwell as a gift. It was caked in dirt when I got it and with some elbow grease, I have got it almost ready to go. I first rinsed it, then soaked it in soap water (dish soap and water), then scrubbed it with a toothbrush, then used some 409 and a hard bristle brush on the really tough spots where the dirt was really stuck.

I have got it mostly clean, but would like to remove the last bits of dirt. Also, I would like to make this thing really shine! I have done some research online and a lot of people say to use Brasso brass cleaner on bakelite, and there is also a guy that sells products called Magnolia "Glayzit" and Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream. Has anyone restored bakelite and if so, have any recommendations on what to use to make the bakelite shine?

I would also like to replace the rubber rings in the inside, so if anyone has a source on those, I would also appreciate that information.

Thanks!

Talbot

One Too Many
SweetieStar,

I have used Brasso on Bakelite with great results. It provides a great gloss. I'm not sure about the other product you mentioned so I can't comment.

Talbot

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
SemiChrome!

Years ago, on the TV show Collectible Treasures I saw a dealer who specialized in Bakelite. She recommended SemiChrome metal polish on a soft cloth for shining Bakelite handles. I didn't believe it--but then she shined up the grungy handle of a piece on the show, and it worked beautifully. She used a bit of SemiChrome on a soft cloth (like an old Tshirt) without water to gently scrub off the grunge, then she rinsed the piece in lukewarm water and dried /buffed with a second soft cloth. I've not tried it myself, as I don't collect Bakelite, but would use her method if I did.

Sidebar: Given that 409 will strip paint (as I accidentally discovered while cleaning fingerprints off my parents' kitchen doorframe), I wouldn't recommend using it on collectibles...

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Talbot said:
SweetieStar,

I have used Brasso on Bakelite with great results. It provides a great gloss. I'm not sure about the other product you mentioned so I can't comment.

Talbot

"Brasso" is wonderful, i use it on my chrome Heatmaster Tea and Coffee ware and also on my Vintage Telephones"

3997015041_948eb666d0.jpg

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
I'm a professional museum and archaeological conservator by training and I implore you all not to use Brasso on historic objects! It really is not good for them long term and can also build up a heavy residue that can cause quite serious damage if left unchecked. As it is an abrasive liquid, it can get into minute cracks in the surfaces of your objects and over time can build up and actually open them up (ever seen an old brass object with a split in it and wonder how it got there?). Also, the brasso 'mould' that forms in hard to polish areas can also cause long term damage. If you are going to use an abrasive cleaner I would recommend a brand called Autosol which is very good, mildly abrasive and leaves a nice shine. It is what the National Trust in the UK uses for all its historic brassware.

In terms of getting hard to clean dirt of your bakelite piece, never undereatimate the power of your own saliva! Suck on a cotton swab and then try and spot clean a piece and you may surprise yourself. Saliva is Ph neutral (unless you have recently been eating dreadful things!) and contains powerful enzymes that break down dirt and grease beautifully. In case you doubt me, this is a recognised technique in the conservation world and has been tested by the British Museum and given the thumbs up! If not saliva then try wiping it with meths (also good for removing polish residue) or test a tiny bit of white spirit on it for the same.

Hope that helps!

Missy

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Missy Hellfire said:
In terms of getting hard to clean dirt of your bakelite piece, never undereatimate the power of your own saliva! Suck on a cotton swab and then try and spot clean a piece and you may surprise yourself. Saliva is Ph neutral (unless you have recently been eating dreadful things!) and contains powerful enzymes that break down dirt and grease beautifully. In case you doubt me, this is a recognised technique in the conservation world and has been tested by the British Museum and given the thumbs up!

I suppose that is why Mother's spit can remove tar off of a chrome bumper! lol

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
The metal polishes mentioned will work fine for polishing, once the item is clean , then to maintain the shine use a good qaulity furniture wax, any wax you use should not be to sticky it should have the consistancy of butter ,forget fancy additives and perfumed waxes, an old fashiond recipe i used for cleaning antique furiture and almost anything else is as follows .
mix eqaul parts of linseed oil,brown vinegar and methylated spirits, give it a godd shake to mix .
you can use a rag or 00- 000 steel wool where appropriate for really heavy dirt change rags etc as they become clogged, if you like your antiques this will revive a faded French polished finnish to near new state , an amount of common sense is needed so please test on an inconspicuous area before attacking a valuable piece.
Cheers Peter.

Fountain Pen Restoration guys swear by Simichrome to clean and polish the multitude of plastics and resins used in vintage pen barrels and caps. It will polish metals but caution has to be used as some of the metal parts have plating that can be really thin and the Simichrome may remove it while polishing. I took the gold wash off a nib and an old straight razor once in an instant.

Another brand very similar is "Maas" polish, it works about the same as Simichrome. This is reccomended mostly by the straight razor restoration guys.

You can't always find these in the local Auto Parts store but sometimes at Walmart or if there is a good motorcylcle dealer that carries a selection of car care - motorcycle care polishes and cleaners you may find it there.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Thank you all for your recommendations. After some detective work, I found Simichrome and used that, topped with some Turtle Wax for extra shine. A detailed account of the restoration process with photos is now on my website at www.plume-etoile.com.

Comments welcome! Thanks!

Sweetie Starr, I forgot to tell you! Widebrim, who you met as a friend of Matt Deckard's at Cicada last Sunday evening, is an authority on these types of ink wells. He has a neat collection and knows a bunch of the background on the big manufacturers.

JIC

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
Sweetie Star, I forgot to tell you! Widebrim, who you met as a friend of Matt Deckard's at Cicada last Sunday evening, is an authority on these types of ink wells. He has a neat collection and knows a bunch of the background on the big manufacturers.

JIC

Thanks, John. I just PMed him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran