Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with vintage jewelry repair/cleaning?

Emmalia

New in Town
Hello! I'm new here, and shy in general--I apologize if I commit any faux pas!

I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with cleaning and repairing vintage jewelry. About a month ago, my Beau's mother made me the very generous gift of a vintage jewelry lot. While I've repaired as much as I can, one set has an ongoing issue--it appears that its original glue (or perhaps a glue applied during a previous repair) has yellowed, and is now highly visible. Here are a few pictures of the bracelet.

If possible, I'd like to remove this. While I certainly don't wish to harm the pieces or their patina, the glue is rather unsightly. If anyone has any guidance to offer, I'd be much obliged!

Thank you very much for your time.

Lady X

New in Town
Unfortunately, the type of solvents that'd remove glue will also do a number on the patina and, possibly, also on the inserts.

Physically picking it out is possible (depending on the consistency/hardness) but again, you run the risk of damaging the piece, particularly the stones - and then there's the question of finding a glue that's capable of holding them back in when you're done. (things that fix well with metal are difficult).

Honestly, if you hadn't mentioned the "unsightly" glue, I wouldn't have noticed it - there's plenty going on in that pattern, so the overall effect is stunning.

Still, since it's one of those "once you've noticed it" deals, if it really, REALLY bothers you, your best bet is to take it to a professional, who might be willing to tackle it.

wahine

Practically Family
Welcome to the board to both of you! :wave:

I agree with Lady X, the glue is barely visible (at least in the photos). I'd only risk to clean it if it really bothers you a lot, and don't try it myself. It'd be a pity if it gets ruined only because it wasnt 'tidy' enough. Think of it like a person you love - you wouldn't risk her/his health in a surgery just to get rid of a few wrinkles, would you? :)

The bracelet is very pretty, btw. A very sweet and generous gift.

Emmalia

New in Town
Thanks so much, to both of you! I can definitely live with it--as you noted, wahine, I'd hate to injure the set just because I dislike the glue. I'll keep an eye out for a possible future solution, but in the meantime, I have far more interesting things to study than vintage glue chemistry. ;)

george_frag

New in Town
What about address your needs to some professional service? It will be much better I think in order to save vintage jewelry because maybe they require subtle and careful attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW