Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help!

wedding belle

Familiar Face
I would really appreciate any ideas members have..... Getting married in 6 weeks and would live to go for a 1930s/40s hairdo. I have long straight hair (all one length) and need to be able to do it myself! Any hints and tips would be really gratefully recieved - I'm getting quite desperate! :) Thank you!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome aboard Wedding Belle! Always nice to see a new face here, and congrats on your upcoming wedding:)
It's really difficult to give advice to someone on a hairstyle without knowing what they look like, and what type of hair that they have. So, could you post a pic of yourself?
There are a lot of different styles that could be used. It really depends on what you are looking for, all down, up do, swept back, half up, etc.. It will also help to know what style your dress is, strapless, tank, off the shoulder? All of these things are important in picking the right style for any outfit. One style might look great on one person, and look not so great on another. We've all learned the hard way that just because it's a vintage hair style doesn't necessarily mean that we should be wearing it:eek:(I speak sadly from experience:()

In the meantime, the lounge has a plethora of information in regards to vintage hair styles of many era's.
You might have already, but check out the Show Us Your Hair-do'sthread.. There are pages and pages of lounge ladies posting pics of their different hairstyles. This might give you an idea as to what you like or dislike.
Also, the How do I do Reverse Rolls thread has some interesting links to some youtube video's of gals doing some vintage styles.
Here's a thread on Fingerwaves and triple barrel irons that could be helpful. If your hair is long, you could do a loose curl ala Veronica Lake, which I have achieved with a triple barrel hot iron (can be purchased at any beauty supply shoppe).

Well, there are really a lot threads in the beauty section here of the lounge that discuss all different types of vintage hairstyles. If you are having trouble finding them just do a search on "vintage hairstyles", this should reveal a lot of results. Also, if you do a google search "vintage hairstyles the fedora lounge" you might find even more results. These threads are great, and should fill you with lots of ideas. You should also find good directions on achieving these looks, or links to other useful sites that will give good directions.

Oh, also check out Nocturne. They have a lot of great vintage hair information.
This site has some lovely illustrations of hairstyles for weddings, and Beauty and the Bath has some great vintage hairstyle history.

I hope you find this useful. Do surf around the Beauty department here to get some ideas as to what you might like/dislike. There's a lot of information here!! If you get a chance, do post a picture of yourself and describe your dress, this will make it much easier for us ladies to give you ideas as to what will work best for you.

Welcome again!!!:)
Daisy

wedding belle

Familiar Face
Thank you both so much

for the fantastic links - it really gives me something to go on! I'll try and dig out a picture -although I think the most recent ones of me are after much champagne had been consumed at my summer party - so a little red and not terribly elegant :)

As for the dress - well I don't have one yet nor the slightest idea of what it will be!! But I hope to recitfy that with some desperation shopping this coming weekend!

Now I have some places to look I can have a play and see what works! Thanks again ladies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy