Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Helping Out

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A 'Dear Abby' for the down and out

It's a cool story, but it got me thinking - isn't this how communities worked during the Depression? People band together and help one another out. People that have, give; people that need, ask.

I know I try to do my part and I'm sure many of you do too. So I thought this was a nice modern example of what may come during this modern Recession/Depression.

Anyone have examples of how they're helping out locally?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It's a cool story, but it got me thinking - isn't this how communities worked during the Depression? People band together and help one another out. People that have, give; people that need, ask.

Besides many people being hesitant to give, for whatever reason, I think many more people are too proud to ask... Maybe even afraid. There's a real "It's not my problem" mentality these days which I'm not sure was too prevalent in the Depression.

I don't really have the means to help others out as in the video, but I donate all my clothing and household items I no longer use to Goodwill, and in college I volunteered at a legal clinic. Legal issues are not everyone's problem, sure, but the people who received our advice were very grateful. :)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I give to local charities that feed people, clothe them and provide them with shelter.
One such charity is actually a church that feeds people monthly via a food program.
Since my name is on here I won't say which one.
I am by no means a rich man, I just have less bills because I pay things off. Funny concept isn't it?
I never really discuss with my wife how much I give, but she found out one time and I got a question and answer session for quite some time. :D I was taught if I have it and I want to give it, then I should do so if it helps others out. I ask for nothing in return, and I certainly don't ask for recognition such as being on a list. In fact I ask to be anonymous. I'll get my reward one day and meet those my giving has helped during their time here on earth. That's all I really need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR