Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hercules Sport Jacket in russet steer hide - a review

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Hello fellow Loungers:

I received this jacket from Tony about 10 days ago (4 weeks after ordering), but was on vacation and did not open the package until today. I am thrilled. I did not know one can make a jacket of this quality at Hercules' price point. The hide is the star of this jacket. Substantial (the jacket size 40 with 25" back length weighs 4.75 lbs), with waxy finish and brilliant russet tones. Tons of character in the hide. Wonderful leather smell. I handled Shinki recently in Japan and this slightly waxy and substantial hand reminds me of Shinki. I know this is a high compliment but so be it. The wool liner is substantial, too. I am not expert enough on stitching to comment, but it is good enough for me. On to pictures - I hope they give Tony's product justice. Please ignore the reflections (wet look) on the fit pics - they are due to flash (otherwise the pics were too dark). The first three pics are more representative of how this wonderful jacket looks in the wild. Please feel free to ask questions - I can post better fit pics later.

P1050391.JPG

P1050392.JPG

P1050390.JPG

P1050384.JPG
P1050385.JPG

Last edited:

Fonzie

One Too Many
Hello fellow Loungers:

I received this jacket from Tony about 10 days ago (4 weeks after ordering), but was on vacation and did not open the package until today. I am thrilled. I did not know one can make a jacket of this quality at Hercules' price point. The hide is the star of this jacket. Substantial (the jacket with 25" back length weighs 4.75 lbs), with waxy finish and brilliant russet tones. Tons of character in the hide. Wonderful leather smell. I handled Shinki recently in Japan and this slightly waxy and substantial hand reminds me of Shinki. I know this is a high compliment but so be it. The wool liner is substantial, too. I am not expert enough on stitching to comment, but it is good enough for me. On to pictures - I hope they give Tony's product justice. Please ignore the reflections (wet look) on the fit pics - they are due to flash (otherwise the pics were too dark). The first three pics are more representative of how this wonderful jacket looks in the wild. Please feel free to ask questions - I can post better fit pics later.

View attachment 197587

View attachment 197588

View attachment 197591

View attachment 197592 View attachment 197593
Thanks for the review, I was looking forward to a review of this leather. Great fit!

Oh HELL yeah!!! I’m ordering a D pocket in this hide. Looks superb! Fit is bang on!! Congrats!!
Me too! Looks superb.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Looking good!

Did you ask for a longer back length? From the shop pictures I thought it was supposed to be a shorter jacket but yours covers half your butt.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Its a new name on me too - Looks like they only launched a couple of weeks ago based on their website. Love that vintage 1930s Aviator jacket on their Instagram.

Nice price point, not much info online but based on that, their address and the leather I guess these are made in Asia and drop shipped to the UK?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Tony (the owner) can chime in if he is not too busy to follow FL, but Hercules is indeed a startup with a mission of providing affordable quality jackets. Made in Thailand, shipped from the UK. A few Loungers took a flier on them; reviews are trickling in. Tony has been very responsive, offering deviations from specs at no extra charge.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
It was the 'England' in the name that threw me a bit. All makes sense.

Nice to have a vendor with some vintage styled jackets at this price point. Will keep an eye on what develops.

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Delivery of my jacket failed today while I was away at work. Hopefully able to pick it up tmr and give it a short review as well.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I attach two fit pics in a much better light, no flash. I believe these accurately reflect the look of the jacket. I sized up a bit to be able to fit a sweater underneath as this will my cold-weather jacket. Today only a t-shirt underneath as the temps are pushing 60. I believe that between a sweater and jacket's thick wool liner (which, btw, feels very high quality) this jacket is good for a NYC winter (maybe not Chicago, though...;).

P1050394.JPG

P1050405.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko