Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's a guy really rocking his black leather jacket...

Christopher Hansen

New in Town
My wife and I teach music. We love videos like this to to show our students that if you do the time you have a life long avenue for learning and enjoyment. Of course most teens just want the show off factor.

Edward

Bartender
I took piano lessons as a kid. If you were a middle class kid in Northern Ireland, you were expectedc to do things like that - pretty much anything organised you did from the age of five was "for your CV for going to university" (how I laugh now I'm on the other side and can prove that this means nothing....). Inevitably, there was no joy in it.... I didn't listen to piano at the time. Course, now I wish I could do things like that. Plus, being a lefty, it would be lovely to have an instrument where I could play any of them, instead of only a very few....

Christopher Hansen

New in Town
Lefties! We get concerns from them in guitar, ukulele and band. Usually they come around to understanding they're left hand will be easier while the righties will struggle with the left hand. Otherwise, in band I show them the French horn. Gotta be careful though...those middle schoolers can be sensitive. My lefty daughter helped a lot while she was one my students.

devilish

A-List Customer
Boogie woogie piano is one of the greatest sounds on Earth. When I was a rock-a-billy teenager the doorman at a Jools Holland gig let me in for free (we had the same haircut) and when he stopped playing the Squeeze hits and let loose on the keys it was awesome!

Peacoat

Bartender
I took piano lessons as a kid. If you were a middle class kid in Northern Ireland, you were expectedc to do things like that - pretty much anything organised you did from the age of five was "for your CV for going to university" (how I laugh now I'm on the other side and can prove that this means nothing....). Inevitably, there was no joy in it.... I didn't listen to piano at the time. Course, now I wish I could do things like that. Plus, being a lefty, it would be lovely to have an instrument where I could play any of them, instead of only a very few....
As a lefty you would do great with the bass line, but your right hand still needs to play the melody.

I never took piano, but my sister did, and we had a piano in the house. She was learning to read, but I just started banging away at it. The first thing I taught myself was the line of "Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain, telling me just what a fool I've been." That was simple enough, but when it got to more complicated stuff, I thought it was just too much time spent on an instrument I couldn't carry with me.

I later learned to read (after a fashion) on the trumpet (good instrument for lefties), and later on the guitar, which most lefties play upside down--See Albert King and a host of others. Jimi Hendrix was also a lefty who did quite well for himself. When people ask me if Jimi played the blues, my standard answer is, "Sure he did, just not the blues of this planet!"

robrinay

One Too Many
Reminded me of the time a group of friends and I spent time in a Derbyshire Field Centre to mark the end of our College days. We went to a small country pub in Longnor Derbyshire one evening where a bloke was playing the piano. After a few beers he decided to teach Pete to play the piano taking him through the basics - Pete politely (and clumsily), following his directions. When the 'teacher' took a comfort break the place erupted into laughter and applause as Pete (a Music graduate), broke into boogie woogie like the above example. The 'teacher' took it all in good humour inviting us to Church the next day. For the record Pete is now half of Mr Miller and Mr Porter writing for tv (Art Attack etc).

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
It's Henri the piano player for the Jim Jones revue, they were a tight rock n roll band, if you missed them live you missed out. They pretty much all wore Lewis Leathers, Jim Jones wore a customised Lewis dominator, Henri is possibly wearing a Lewis western jacket in the video. If you like this video check out Jim Jones Revue on YouTube.

Another classic performance,
You may have seen this fantastic vid; it has over 7.5 million views!!! Bet you watch it twice, too!

wdw

One Too Many
Great dancing and great music. Boogie woogie's something you just don't see enough of nowadays. Edinburgh has some great rockin' blues bands, but I only know of one guy who does boogie woogie, and then not enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo