Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Here's looking at you, kid" and what might get you slapped

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I hate being called babe/babes, by either sex, but when men do it I want to die a little inside! I also hate it when men call me "mate." I am not a man and I am not your mate, neither am I a sexual partner of yours.

Being called anything else doesn't really bother me, but I love it when my other half calls me wifey :)

OldSoul

Familiar Face
For as long as I can remember I've called my female friends 'kiddo', never thought of it as good or bad just did it. An ex of mine thought that it was my nickname for her, she loved it, but did it ever hit the fan when I called another friend of ours 'kiddo' in front of said ex. Didn't make that mistake twice.

Theres an older guy here at work (about my fathers age, 52-54) who puts the word 'young' in front of anyones name "Young Andrew" , "Young Jason" etc and it drives me up the wall when he calls me "Young Graham". I started calling him "Old Dave" but it was lost on him as he never noticed and I got tired of saying it. [huh]

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
I often call women 'kid' as a term of endearment. And on the other hand, I may call a woman 'sister' to express disatisfaction.

"Hey kid, how's things been?"

"Excuse me?! Kid? Get a life, fella!"

"Look sister, I don't know what your problem is, but I don't want any part of it!"

Love it! :eusa_clap

I once watched Meet John Doe and wrote down all the slang they used. "Sister" and "kid" were used quite often.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
I was raised where everyone around me, ladies and gentlemen called everyone Sugar, Darlin, Honey. It was a term of endearment. I miss this so much.
I am so anti PC it hurts.

I was raised in the south, so it was the same for me. I hate the fact that everyone MUST take offense at everything-- even when they know you are just trying to be nice/cordial.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AmateisGal said:
Love it! :eusa_clap

I once watched Meet John Doe and wrote down all the slang they used. "Sister" and "kid" were used quite often.

You know, I think I picked it up out of habit from Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies. Bugs, Daffy and the gang seem to use those all the time.

My grandmother once heard me say, "Hey kid, how are you?" to a woman checking us out at the grocery store and she laughed, "I haven't heard someone say that in years!" :D

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I don't think it was ever polite to address a young lady with unwarranted familiarity. What real people do and what people do in Hollywood, and what Hollywood portrays real people as doing, are and probably always have been worlds apart.

Rick's use of the word "kid" seems to me to be used to distance himself character from the women who was getting on a plane and leaving. So instead of saying "give me a kiss, baby," he said what he said.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Richard Warren said:
I don't think it was ever polite to address a young lady with unwarranted familiarity. What real people do and what people do in Hollywood, and what Hollywood portrays real people as doing, are and probably always have been worlds apart.

Rick's use of the word "kid" seems to me to be used to distance himself character from the women who was getting on a plane and leaving. So instead of saying "give me a kiss, baby," he said what he said.

I don't think it was, or is, polite to direct any unwarrented familiarity towards anyone, for any reason, in any era. On the other hand, your tone of voice greatly determines the eventual outcome.

That said, some folks may take offense and others might not. It's all part of your personality (manifested), and the consequences are those you'll inevitably have to bear. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn