Hero jacket from new Perry Mason

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by slundin, Jun 28, 2020.

1. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Not a fan of that jacket. I like lina’s Dave S jacket and the Aero rockafella much more.

2. dark wood

dark wood New in Town

Don’t love the jacket either but the overall vibe of this show looks fantastic - I gotta see it!

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

I would tend to as well. I think the boxier fit is what gives it that more "vintage style reinterpreted" look to my eye. Not having seen the show, though, I wonder is it intened to suggest either Depression-era underfeeding, or that it's some used jacket he bought somewhere because he needed a coat and it was cheap, him not being able to afford something 'better fitting'.

I had exactly the reaction you did, though in the context of the show, as above, I wonder whether the looser fit is meant to suggest someone who can't afford a new jacket iwth a better fit - or who has to allow room for morel ayers to get through a cold Winter, especially with no central heating?

Seb Lucas likes this.
  4. Monitor

Monitor

They overdid it. I'd reckon this jacket was supposed to be new or at least new-ish, considering the time period the show's taking place in? I mean, this one looks like it's been worn for 15 years by someone living on the street.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  5. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've thought of that when watching other shows/movies set in the past Monitor, that's a very valid point.

6. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

So I have actually seen the first two episodes and in this interpretation, he's a ww 1 veteran who's at a bit of a lowpoint with his wife and child having left him, him not being able to pay his bills and his family home he's living in essentially a worthless shed right next to a private airport. Going from there, the idea with the jacket not fitting properly and looking kinda worn out is assumingly to show his financial and overall situation, worn down and all. I am imagining he picked this up new right after the war when he was in better shape, making it 13 years old or something and it went down the same road he did, or he picked used or maybe even a former work coat from his fathers he found in the barn. Either way, it adds up to me, I don't see a problem.

Monitor, Edward and navetsea like this.
  7. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

It still looks like a studio-distressed modern repop, but the back story helps and in the series the jacket will probably work. I personally don't hate this jacket.

8. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

from reading the books I never pictured him looking that deplorable, maybe it is where he starts the PI business.

l0fielectronic likes this.
  9. Monitor

Monitor

Didn't see the reboot, just the 1960's series where he was nicely dressed if I'm not mistaken. I don't mind the jacket either but that thing must've been through a lot to end up looking like that. Man, even Columbo is dressed sharper than the new Perry Mason and that says a lot. XD