Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi from a new female member

Barb

One of the Regulars
I've been a hat freak since my mom started buying me hats and photographing me in them starting at age 4. I have a collection of what I guess are Fedora like hats. Two of them are Bermona UK that I purchased 15-18 or so years ago in London when I travelled there frequently on business.

I don't know much about Fedoras/hats but have been reading here for a while. I'm interested in a really nice black Akubra CEO (Aaron's is supposed to email me when they arrive) but since previously I've only bought, er, women's hats, I don't know how it would look on me.

I tried on a few poor quality hats locally to get my size. 7 1/2. and my Tilley's are 7 1/2 so I think that I have the right size.

What I want is a high crown and wide brim (and I've read up on open crown and bashing).

So, is the CEO the right choice for a lady? Do many women buy men's hat's? The CEO will be a huge investment for me if I go forward with it. Or should I consider another brand?

From what I've read here, you folks are the absolute experts, and this looks like one of the friendliest placest I've ever seen (so thanks for letting me in).

A little about me - I'm a computer geek. I am a product development manager for Comcast and also write columns for Microsoft. I love Coach handbags and hats. I'm a baby boomer looking forward to retiring and indulging my digital photo hobby more.

Barb

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge, Barb. Your fellow Loungers will be more than happy to help you choose hats you like will look great in. I like the high crown, wide brim style, too, but I lean toward thin ribbons, Open Road style, like the one I'm wearing in my avatar. Akubras have a lot of supporters, as you probably know having been reading around for a while. Happiness is hats!

dean

Marty M.

Vendor
Welcome wagon just keeps on a rolling.

Hi Barb. Welcome to the Lounge. I love your thread. I'm looking forward to reading more from you. We just started selling the Akubra line of hats at our store. I have to say that I'm sold on them. They're a terrific hat and a great value for the buck. Let us know how you like your's when you recieve it.
Marty Mathis

Barb

One of the Regulars
Nice to meet you all

OK, I pointed the Nikon at myself wearing one of the English Bermonas (the blue one) and uploaded an avatar. It's not a good picture of me but maybe it will help with my question as to whether the Akubra CEO will look ok on me. Or if I should look at something else.

Barb

Bammac

New in Town
Hello Barb

I have been looking at that CEO as well, I think....my link for Hats Direct opens on the CEO. I was thinking on the "Cruiser Grey" for a color...I have a few black fedoras already.

Either way, it's a good looking hat.

Welcome,

Bam

Bammac

New in Town
Women in men's hats...

There are much more qualified folk here to answer that, but from personal experience, recently I worked in an office where the V.P./C.F.O., a woman,
wore many different fedora's-mostly mens.

She was older than you, but similar in facial structure and hair color, and they worked very well on her.

Bam

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge Barb !
You are going to fit right in !
I do not have a CEO, but do have a Campdraft and a Federation. Akubra makes a great fedora. Also I think the Stylemaster is a good looking hat that would look equally as good on a lady.
Good luck!

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Hello Barb, welcome to FL. No problem with women wearing men's fedora. In fact, fedora was initially worn by a lady ;)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Barb said:
I've been a hat freak since my mom started buying me hats and photographing me in them starting at age 4. I have a collection of what I guess are Fedora like hats. Two of them are Bermona UK that I purchased 15-18 or so years ago in London when I travelled there frequently on business.

I don't know much about Fedoras/hats but have been reading here for a while. I'm interested in a really nice black Akubra CEO (Aaron's is supposed to email me when they arrive) but since previously I've only bought, er, women's hats, I don't know how it would look on me.

I tried on a few poor quality hats locally to get my size. 7 1/2. and my Tilley's are 7 1/2 so I think that I have the right size.

What I want is a high crown and wide brim (and I've read up on open crown and bashing).

So, is the CEO the right choice for a lady? Do many women buy men's hat's? The CEO will be a huge investment for me if I go forward with it. Or should I consider another brand?

From what I've read here, you folks are the absolute experts, and this looks like one of the friendliest placest I've ever seen (so thanks for letting me in).

A little about me - I'm a computer geek. I am a product development manager for Comcast and also write columns for Microsoft. I love Coach handbags and hats. I'm a baby boomer looking forward to retiring and indulging my digital photo hobby more.

Barb
Welcome!
Coach handbags huh, please do not post with Deelovely! I can't afford it!:eusa_doh:

deelovely

Practically Family
indycop said:
Welcome!
Coach handbags huh, please do not post with Deelovely! I can't afford it!:eusa_doh:
I only have 2 Coach handbags...:rolleyes: Sure hope he remembers that I asked for a matching Coach wallet for my birthday though...;)

barrowjh

One Too Many
I'm not familiar with the Akubra CEO, but many blondes prefer black, as black will contrast all colors (except black). For us guys, its a different quagmire. Black fedoras in vintage times were associated with fear of death - undertakers, leaders of devout religious sects, even entire religious sects (orthodox Jews, Amish, etc), the local preacher/priest, a man's Sunday go-to-church hat, and leaders at the very top (which were typically very old, and near death!). So many of us ignore black fedoras. note that this does not apply to bowlers or top hats, which were almost always black, and it could be debated as to whether or not bowlers or top hats are fedoras, since the definition of a fedora implies a crease in the crown. too much tequila here, but generally, many of us go blank on a question about how a black hat looks on someone - its somewhere we generally avoid.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
So, as we complain to the Hatco guy about the quality of Stetsons, can we complain to you about Microsoft? Only kidding! (You must get a lot of that. Sorry, no more I promise.)
You definitely look cool in your avatar pic. Welcome!

Barb

One of the Regulars
Forgot to mention I am 2 hours from Aarons store

And was thinking that I could take a drive some Saturday (after foliage and season and all that extra traffic dies down). North Conway is still bad for traffic with all those outlets, but I just realized that Aaron's is located there <duh>.

I still think I will order the CEO when it arrives and before I take that drive.

Misc. replies - that Stylemaster looks ok but I like the CEO better. Deelovely, there is a Coach outlet store 45 minutes from me. Dangerously close.

And if anyone wants to complain to me about Microsoft or Comcast, just remember I can't make them change anything <G>.

I would really like a Red wide brimmed Fedora like my blue one. (I wear alot of red, and also purple and green). Anyone have some recommendations and links to where I could find a nice, non pimp looking Red fedora?

Barb

Edward

Bartender
eBay might be worth a look..... Something to think about if you have a defined preference for fur felt over wool is that it seems a lot of the brighter colours are very difficult to impossible to find in fur, though you can find them quite easily in wool. Probably somebody on here could tell you whether that's anything to do with what colours will take to fur, or just trends among different hat buying demographics. [huh]

FWIW, I thought Gwyneth Paltrow looked fantastic in her "man's" trenchcoat and fedora reporter costume in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. I can't find a picture of her with the hat on on the web, but if memory serves, it was a mid-brown. Looked great over her blonde hair and the khaki trench.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Another Akubra fan here...

Barb, keep in mind that you can essentially special-order any Akubra style in any Akubra color from most of their full-range dealers at no extra charge - but it can take as long as three months for the factory to make it and ship it to the dealer.

Their "Rodeo Red" color might be just what you're looking for. Check out one of the (nearly) full-line Akubra dealers like Everything Australian: there are some ladies hats on this page (including the Cornwall, which they call a feminine version of the CEO) and one is shown in that color:

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?page=3

Anyway, I am pretty sure that if you ask one of these dealers nicely, you could get a CEO made up in that red...

(And Edward, I also thought Gwyneth looked smashing as Polly Perkins!)

Barb

One of the Regulars
Wow, thanks for this info. I just sent them an email through the contact us link asking about a custom CEO and also asking the height of the brim on the Epson. The Cornwell is not an open crown, so it is less appealing.

Barb

Doctor Strange said:
Another Akubra fan here...

Barb, keep in mind that you can essentially special-order any Akubra style in any Akubra color from most of their full-range dealers at no extra charge - but it can take as long as three months for the factory to make it and ship it to the dealer.

Their "Rodeo Red" color might be just what you're looking for. Check out one of the (nearly) full-line Akubra dealers like Everything Australian: there are some ladies hats on this page (including the Cornwall, which they call a feminine version of the CEO) and one is shown in that color

French

Familiar Face
welcome, from one newbie to another

Hi Barb,

I'm not sure where you are in New England, but there is also Del Monico Hatter in New Haven, CT (http://www.delmonicohatter.com) The staff is very helpful, showing you the full range of what they have, explaining why one hat may cost $185 and another costs $42. What I found best about them is they were honest about what looked good on me. I picked up a $100+ hat and tried it on, and they politely told me it didn't suit my features. I'd much rather hear that before I paid my money than by the first person who saw me once I walked out the door.

Anyway, good luck with your quest. I'm also looking at an Akubra, but am still collecting funds for it.

French

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou