Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi guys im new here had a question about my new schott perfecto 618

Saxena107

New in Town
So its my first time buying a leather jacket. I found my right size but was not used to the stiffness of the heavy steer hide. Was trying a few of the jacket tests like the hug test etc. i really moved my arms around in ways that was straining the jacket. I wasnt trying to damage the jacket i merely was trying to gain more comfort in it by maybe trying to stretch it out a bit even though i learned from schott customer service before buying the jacket that this leather doesnt stretch. Anyway i understand the jacket will get more comfy as it breaks in. But i noticed that the seam holes (or whatever they are called) in the bi swing back area are showing more noticeably whereas the seam holes dont normally show. Oops i guess i messed up and stretched the seam holes. I hope as long as i dont stretch anymore like that that the jacket will be okay and that i didnt weaken the seam holes significantly. Did any of u guys do that before with your jackets and if so did it matter in terms of affecting the condition of the jacket? Did it eventually lead to ripping in that area later on down the road? Or are these jackets bullet proof to the point that a little stretching of the seam holes wont matter as long as u dont overly stretch it anymore like i did at first.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
So its my first time buying a leather jacket. I found my right size but was not used to the stiffness of the heavy steer hide. Was trying a few of the jacket tests like the hug test etc. i really moved my arms around in ways that was straining the jacket. I wasnt trying to damage the jacket i merely was trying to gain more comfort in it by maybe trying to stretch it out a bit even though i learned from schott customer service before buying the jacket that this leather doesnt stretch. Anyway i understand the jacket will get more comfy as it breaks in. But i noticed that the seam holes (or whatever they are called) in the bi swing back area are showing more noticeably whereas the seam holes dont normally show. Oops i guess i messed up and stretched the seam holes. I hope as long as i dont stretch anymore like that that the jacket will be okay and that i didnt weaken the seam holes significantly. Did any of u guys do that before with your jackets and if so did it matter in terms of affecting the condition of the jacket? Did it eventually lead to ripping in that area later on down the road? Or are these jackets bullet proof to the point that a little stretching of the seam holes wont matter as long as u dont overly stretch it anymore like i did at first.
Did you buy this direct from Schott or authorized dealer, or was it purchased second hand? . Keep in mind that on the 618 Schott recommends sizing up 1 size due to the slim tight fit especially if it’s older when the patterns (and people) were smaller

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
leather is dense, it won't unravel like fabrics, it is normal when a tighter fit jacket has some seam along the shoulder with the thread sink in a bit bedded into the leather, it won't escalate unless the jacket is really too small for you, or you get bigger. it might show more than it actually is if the leather has lighter brown undertone, if the leather is dyed through it will show a lot less.

Photo would be useful but seams and stitching holes on a lather jacket, do stretch at stress points.
You shouldn't have to even think about whether moving while wearing your jacket will do something to it, let alone worry about it. Schott jackets are in general extremely tough and if what you're describing is what I think it is, you shouldn't have any concerns - but - without a photo, best we can do is guess.

Saxena107

New in Town
Photo would be useful but seams and stitching holes on a lather jacket, do stretch at stress points.
You shouldn't have to even think about whether moving while wearing your jacket will do something to it, let alone worry about it. Schott jackets are in general extremely tough and if what you're describing is what I think it is, you shouldn't have any concerns - but - without a photo, best we can do is guess.

Thank you for your response. I don't wanna take pics and post because i'm just gonna get anal about it when i just wanna wear the damn thing now and break it in and not think about it anymore. I guess thats my answer- that it's not a big deal enough to take pics. i don't want to exchange it and wait another week until i can wear the jacket i just wanna wear it now it's already been a strenuous process ordering one of these jackets, realizing i need to size up, and then ordering 2 more sizes and then finally realizing which size fits best and then returning the other one. What you said makes me think that what i'm seeing is normal. There's 2 seams (one on the left side and one on the right side of the bi swing back of the jacket) with stitching holes in the seam, and after wearing it for a couple of days, i was (with the jacket off and laying on my bed flipped over) spreading the leather out on each side of the seam with my fingers (to inspect the seams), and the stitching holes which were at first hidden underneath the tight seam were now protruding out more and the leather on each side of the seam seemed to be becoming less firm and more easy to move outward with my fingers. I was inspecting the jacket this way because i worried that i had stretched the seams from doing some deliberate stretching tests with the jacket on my body. I had another perfecto that i had just bought (ordered a couple at once in different sizes to determine which one fit me best and hardly wore that other one and the seams in the bi swing back of that jacket were more hidden deep below under the crevice. And it was harder to separate the leather between the seams on that jacket because the leather was stiffer and felt more strongly stitched together than the other jacket. So i was thinking damn i'm stretching the seams on my new jacket that fits me right and is the one i'm gonna keep because the other jacket that i'm returning because it doesn't fit me right doesn't do that. And i was thinking i need to stop doing weird arm stretch movements and learn how this jacket works meaning what i need to do in order to move around freely with the jacket on me. For example before raising my arms out or up when needing to in the jacket, first lift your arms up a little so that the shoulders on the jacket raise up so that the bottom of the back of the jacket hikes up a little on your back and the shoulders of the jacket also hike up a little above your shoulders so that you can more easily move your arms without feeling as restricted. Where as at first I was trying to extend my arms out and above my head without adjusting the rest of the jacket first which would cause strain in certain areas of the jacket particularly the seams on the bi swing area. I know how these type of shorter form fitting jackets work even though it's my first leather jacket because i've had a corduroy jacket with a short and fitted torso, fitted sleeves etc before and it fits pretty much the exact same way as the perfecto does. Btw i can't even do the hug test (where your arms cross extend out fully and touch the opposite shoulder blade) in my corduroy jacket but yet i know that that jacket fits me right. So those hug tests are not a good way to judge whether these type of jackets fit or not is something i've learned. But i was confused when first trying on the perfecto because of just how stiff and heavy it was it just didn't feel like a jacket at first it felt like armor (which it is lol). Definitely looking forward to the break in process i love this thing so much. I just want to get it out of my head that i did any significant damage to the seams because like you said- seam stretching is normal in leather jackets, so i assume they're designed to stretch without breaking. I mean these jackets are designed to be form fitting snug jackets so a little stitch hole stretching is inevitable... And even if i did put undue stress on the seams, hopefully damage to stitch holes on Perfecto jackets don't happen in one day and instead they happen over a long span of time if they ever do break. Because i didn't order a too small size actually i ordered one size above the recommended ordering one size up instruction from Schott, which fits me best.

Saxena107

New in Town
Got pics of the seams in question ?
i don't think i'm gonna post pics it'll just make me more anal. i've already pulled the tags off the jacket so can't return it or exchange it now. Just gonna wear it now. Thanks for responding!

Saxena107

New in Town
Did you buy this direct from Scott or authorized dealer, or was it purchased second hand? . Keep in mind that on the 618 Schott recommends sizing up 1 size due to the slim tight fit especially if it’s older when the patterns (and people) were smaller

Yes i ordered 2 sizes up actually, direct from Schott HQ. It's just the stiff leather and rigidity of a new heavy leather jacket made me instinctively try to do some stretch movements when wearing the jacket. And then i noticed the stitch holes in between the seams of the big swing back area protruding out a little more whereas originally they were tightly hidden at the bottom of the seam. I imagine these type of strong built to last jackets will mean that i didn't do any real damage to the jacket, but i will stop doing those silly stretching tests now, especially now that i've figured out how to move in the jacket after experimenting the first couple of days. Thanks for responding!

Saxena107

New in Town
leather is dense, it won't unravel like fabrics, it is normal when a tighter fit jacket has some seam along the shoulder with the thread sink in a bit bedded into the leather, it won't escalate unless the jacket is really too small for you, or you get bigger. it might show more than it actually is if the leather has lighter brown undertone, if the leather is dyed through it will show a lot less.
Thanks for responding! Yes i saw originally that the thread was deeply imbedded into the seams of this jacket, which like you said is normal for tighter fitting jackets like the Perfecto 618 is. I ordered a size larger than the recommended sizing up one size recommendation that Schott gives, so the jacket is definitely not too small for me. Nonetheless, given the original stiffness of the new leather jacket combined with the inherent limitation of complete free movement that a shorter cut and more snug fit jacket has (because i don't think you will ever be able to do somersaults and back flips even in the most broken in biker leather jacket), there is some discomfort and restriction in movement when wearing the jacket and i just wasn't used to it (more so i wasn't used to the leather's stiffness but i have worn similar cut jackets like this before albeit it was a non leather jacket). i figured out how to move in the jacket u just gotta lift the bottom of the jacket up a little before moving your arms around how u want to otherwise if the bottom of the jacket's toros stays all the way down u can't move your arms around freely but that's normal i've had these type of cut of jackets before it was the same thing, doesn't mean it didn't fit right. But while experimenting and trying to figure this jacket out the first two days i may have done some minor stretching of the stitching holes in the seams of the bi swing back area causing the stitching holes to protrude out of the seams more whereas originally they were hidden deeply at the bottom of the seams. It's on my mind that i did that but i'm not returning it i'm just gonna wear it and trust that these well built to last jackets will account for my 2 days of mistakes.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I have the most stiffest leather ever made into jacket trust me... but surely i dont need to lift the bottom of the jacket to lift my arm. That sounds hard to live with since you size up 2 sizes are you sure the jacket dont fit too wide across the shoulder? If the shoulder is too wide it will sag past your shoulder and lock the sleeve motion, same with how baggy jeans with low crotch limits your leg movement despite all the excess space.
Imo with leather a bit snug fit give you better movement than a loose fit, just like with shoes, different fit concept than a hoodies or sweater.

Fireflame

One of the Regulars
Got pics of the seams in question ?
I get that you don’t want to take pics bc you’ll just think too much into it. But I think you posting about it and talking about it, ends up being the same thing. Hard to give proper opinion on something if we don’t see the actual issue which at the end of things might even affect longevity of the jacket.

Saxena107

New in Town
I have the most stiffest leather ever made into jacket trust me... but surely i dont need to lift the bottom of the jacket to lift my arm. That sounds hard to live with since you size up 2 sizes are you sure the jacket dont fit too wide across the shoulder? If the shoulder is too wide it will sag past your shoulder and lock the sleeve motion, same with how baggy jeans with low crotch limits your leg movement despite all the excess space.
Imo with leather a bit snug fit give you better movement than a loose fit, just like with shoes, different fit concept than a hoodies or sweater.
I hear you. Ive chosen to go with the size 42 instead of the size 46 because of the lower hanging armpits on the size 46. The size 42 armpits are higher up more closely hugging my armpits and i realize thats how its supposed to fit. Im a chest size 41 and im wearing a size 42. The shoulders are a little tight but they end at the proper place on my shoulder blade. Will the shoulders feel more comfortable as the jacket breaks in and the shoulder area of the jacket relaxes? Also my sleeves lengthwise end at the perfect area for me at my wrists (they are not the proper length for riding purposes theyre the length of a non riding jacket and i like that as im not going to ride in this jacket.) Do you think the sleeve length will shorten significantly as creases develop in the arms? Finally do you agree with Schotts recommendation to size up 1 size with the perfecto 618? because if so then i shouldve got the size 44. But ive heard so many stories of people getting their exact size and it worked out great after especially after the jacket broke in.

Saxena107

New in Town
I he
I get that you don’t want to take pics bc you’ll just think too much into it. But I think you posting about it and talking about it, ends up being the same thing. Hard to give proper opinion on something if we don’t see the actual issue which at the end of things might even affect longevity of the jacket.
I hear you. I think im gonna wear the size 42 instead of the size 46 and the problem with the seams (if it was even a problem) was for the size 46. So im not gonna post pics.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
If you a 41 chest, on a 618 you can easily fit into a size 42 jacket. I like my jackets to fit snug, so I'd probably go to 40, but that's me. With gussets and underarm football, you should have no issues with range of motion. If you think it's too tight up top, then go with the 118 size 40. That'll be a more relaxed fit overall, and imo, a much better leather.

Saxena107

New in Town
If you a 41 chest, on a 618 you can easily fit into a size 42 jacket. I like my jackets to fit snug, so I'd probably go to 40, but that's me. With gussets and underarm football, you should have no issues with range of motion. If you think it's too tight up top, then go with the 118 size 40. That'll be a more relaxed fit overall, and imo, a much better leather.
Yeah the size 42 seems right for me. Did you find that your sleeve length became significantly shorter as your jacket broke in and arm creases developed? Also do you think that if the shoulders on a new perfecto 618 feel a little tight but they end at the proper area meaning right where the shoulder ends, then the fit is right and as the jacket breaks in, the shoulders on the jacket will relax more?

roadking04

Practically Family
I really love my steerhide 618. Got mine from Legendary with 15% off for under $700. I use mine for motorcycle riding and it really works well on the bike for me.

I received mine at the end of spring. I have been doing the OneHead method of breaking it in, I have been wearing it indoors with the air on. lol. Mine has not been wet yet. It is a very slow process with this stiff Schott leather. But I want to go with the all natural (no artificial aging) with this one. lol.

I have a 44.5" chest measurement. I have a size 46 618HH and my new size 44 618 steerhide. The 44 is a little snug in the shoulder area but works GREAT on the motorcycle.

Schotts get better with age. Give it some time.

Saxena107

New in Town
I really love my steerhide 618. Got mine from Legendary with 15% off for under $700. I use mine for motorcycle riding and it really works well on the bike for me.

I received mine at the end of spring. I have been doing the OneHead method of breaking it in, I have been wearing it indoors with the air on. lol. Mine has not been wet yet. It is a very slow process with this stiff Schott leather. But I want to go with the all natural (no artificial aging) with this one. lol.

I have a 44.5" chest measurement. I have a size 46 618HH and my new size 44 618 steerhide. The 44 is a little snug in the shoulder area but works GREAT on the motorcycle.

Schotts get better with age. Give it some time.
Sounds good man. Have the shoulders in the size 44 loosened up any since you started wearing it? Do you think the shoulders will loosen up and become more comfortable later on down the road? Or do you just plan on only riding in the size 44?

roadking04

Practically Family
Sounds good man. Have the shoulders in the size 44 loosened up any since you started wearing it? Do you think the shoulders will loosen up and become more comfortable later on down the road? Or do you just plan on only riding in the size 44?

The shoulders on mine make the jacket a little snug in that area. I would not say it restricts my movement at all. I would say my jacket is starting to break in but has some more to go. I am sure I will get caught in the rain sometime. It has mainly seen indoor use so far. They seem to take awhile to break in. I put my horsehide 618 in the washer with cold water, then the drier with no heat. A 618 can take some punishment and dish it out also.

The main purpose is riding, but I also wear it for everything else also. I think your jacket will get better with time (maybe a long time).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch