Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi speed internet & firewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Folks - I'm finally getting rid of my dial-up connection. (It's about time, right? ;) ) I think I'm going to go with Verizon high speed internet, because the price is fairly comparable to to my dial-up. Does anyone have any feed back or experience with Verizon High-speed? Have you had any problems with it?

Also, since it's a broadband connection, I'm thinking I'll have to add some sort of firewall to my PC security. Are there any free firewall downloads that anyone can recommend? While I'm at it, any good free antivirus prorgams as well? Is there anything else security-wise that I should consider?

Thanks!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I have an anti-virus program on my PC, but I'm looking for other suggestions. As for the firewall, it's my understanding that they aren't really necessary for a dial-up connection but they are for broadband because the connection is always on, unlike your connection with dial up.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
If it's FiOS then that's pretty much the fastest access you can get in the US right now. Just get a Linksys or D-link router/switch. They have hardware firewalls built in.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
I have an anti-virus program on my PC, but I'm looking for other suggestions. As for the firewall, it's my understanding that they aren't really necessary for a dial-up connection but they are for broadband because the connection is always on, unlike your connection with dial up.

You can always pull out the cable- best anti-everything there is.

B
T

Pugs

New in Town
Zohar said:
If it's FiOS then that's pretty much the fastest access you can get in the US right now. Just get a Linksys or D-link router/switch. They have hardware firewalls built in.

Between that and the built-in firewall in Xp/Vista (or Mac OSX like I use) and some reasonably safe browsing habits you will be fine.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I recommend Zone Alarm as the best overall firewall. Unlike the windows version, it will warn you of outgoing connection attempts by programs in your PC as well as incoming. Very important if you should get some malware like a trojan horse that attempts to phone home.
You have a bit more control over what the firewall lets in also, so if you play any online games for instance, it will allow you to connect without trying to figure out what went wrong should you suddenly find yourself unable to connect. There is a free version as well as several paid security suite options.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:

Not so. Any connection to the internet has the potential to pick up undesirable attention and connections from other computers any where in the world.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
We just ditched our "vintage" dial-up connection for ethernet via Comcast Cable and enjoy the computer so much more. I no longer feel the need to walk the dog around the block while the more photo-filled threads open. We have a Mac and built-in firewalls. And speaking of Macs (and no disrespect to BeBopBaby for starting this :) )... why was the Mac thread closed but this thread is ok?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
She started specific thread for advice that could be answered quickly, and not a "So how many of you are on broadband internet?" thread. Now that she's got answers, and people here that she can pm for further info, we'll close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou