Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hideki Okisaka: Master '30s tailor !

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
i think it might be the top-stitching giving a bit of a fat border around the lapel. i hate to be picky though.
It's good to be picky. But look at this: it's a cream wool suit from 1932. I sold it a while back.
Compare its top-stitching to that of the linen suit. And look at the lapels -- they're nearly identical:

Spoon136.jpg

Spoon130.jpg
bespokecottonlinen1b.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I do think that Okisaka-san likes to slightly exaggerate certain details. He wants these suits to say "Vintage" with a capital "V". An in-your-face attitude. Nobody can wear his suits and be mistaken for a Helmut Lang shopper. Even Ralph Lauren's stuff doesn't look quite like this.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the funny thing is.....it is often the tiniest detail or nuance in proportion that seperates one era's look from another and gives it that authentic feel. especially in men's suits where the changes aren't as obvious as womenswear.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unabashed fan of Okisaka-san's work

I'm very fortunate (or perhaps my wallet is cursed?) to have a top-shelf tailor in my home town. He's copied a couple of my original late 30's suits to a T, and is a master at reproducing articles from a good photograph. That summer suit is definitely one for the 'to-do' list!

Benny, i wish i had your terrible luck. Life must be horrid for you.

I keep seeing ties, hats and suits around that were sold from local haberdashers and tailors in town back in the day. There were at least 4 haberdashers here in the 1930s (and i have the ties to prove it) Now there are none.

A sad demise. Every small town around where i grew up in Scotland has at least a tailor. This city has approx. 125,000 souls (lost, alas, to abercrombie and fitch and hollister and old navy and american eagle and GAP and crappy crap crap wannabe surf never seen the sea skateboard beach dude), and not even 1 tailor! And the haberdashers stock garbage produced by the likes of Ralph Lauren (i'm not a Ralph fan). There is just no demand for high quality haberdashery and tailoring.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ