Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Waisted Pants & Jeans!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
poggleberry said:
sixsexsix That sounds like a good idea, I might get another pair, did you put turn ups on them or just a plain hem?

I cut them to about mid thigh, then roll them up

shebagrl

Familiar Face
spiff said:
I made a pair from an Evadress pattern in a lightweight denim. They were terribly easy to make (I've only been sewing for six months) and I love them to death. My favorite thing about high waisted pants is that I can now wear all those tops in my closet that were too short or just looked plain tacky pulled over the waistband of my modern jeans. My muffins thank me.

Funny...waistbands aren't really waistbands anymore are they? Hipbands?

trousers+side+buttons.jpg

SO completely cute! You just sold me on the idea of making my own from that pattern..which I have on my birthday wish list. Let's hope the hubs spoils me with patterns again this year :)

How's the yardage on the pattern? I'm going to start hunting for the perfect weight denim! I do know, if you want to make another pair in a linen, fabric-store.com has the *best* linen selection and very reasonable prices. The 5.3oz weight would be perfect for trousers.

spiff

New in Town
shebagrl said:
SO completely cute! You just sold me on the idea of making my own from that pattern..which I have on my birthday wish list. Let's hope the hubs spoils me with patterns again this year :)

How's the yardage on the pattern? I'm going to start hunting for the perfect weight denim! I do know, if you want to make another pair in a linen, fabric-store.com has the *best* linen selection and very reasonable prices. The 5.3oz weight would be perfect for trousers.

A little over 2 yards from what I remember. I was inspired by a photo of a gal that was included in an Evadress newsletter. I can't find it though, it was a gal that did mostly 18th century costuming, but she made up these trousers in denim and next thing you know I was out the door to the fabric store. I also made these in red twill with black buttons, minus the cuffs.

I based the weight on what others have said about layers of thick denim. The joy of sticking themselves with pins and your sewing machines willingness to mow through layers of thick fabric. I don't remember the weight of the denim I used but it was almost the lightest one I found at the fabric store. I keep wondering if I should make these again to go down a size as the waistbands tend to stretch and slide down a bit kinna ruining that nice snug high waist style...or I think that what Twill Tape is for? I'm still learning....

I made a pair of linen ones from the retro Simplicity 4044 that I really like, but the modern girl in me still gravitates towards the denim trousers. Denim that doesn't squeeze my muffins...bliss! In the future I will look to using fabric-store.com's for my linen needs!

Kiri

One of the Regulars
So if I were to order Freddies of Pinewood jeans what size should I order? My waist and hips are about 25/26 and 36.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Thanks for pointing out this pattern, swingal! I've been looking for wide leg pants, and had found a modern pattern for a similar shirt (but wanted 30's or 40's). Glad that she's offering a whole outfit in one set of patterns. :eusa_clap

SayCici

Practically Family
I'll put this in the classifieds, but is anyone interested in a size 26 pair of Freddie's of Hollywood black classic jeans? I can't find them on the site! I haven't ended up wearing my pair very often.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I just ordered the Freddies of Pinewood utility jeans, any heftier gal on here bought them?
I made my own wide legged denim trousers but I'm just not confidant that they look good.
I have an awful feeling they aren't going to fit....Meh!!!:mad:

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
I ended up changing my mind & buying a pair & unfortunately made a grave miscalculation.After reading this thread & reading different reviews i thought i would be better off getting the next size up as i was worried about them looking like dumpy mum jeans but when i got them they were HUGE!!I couldn't believe they were so big.Now i have to decide wether or not it's worth sending them back & exchanging them or selling them on ,postage from Oz to the UK is high & then i have to pay the return post as well.
What size did you get?Your actual measurements or bigger/smaller?
ETA-When i pulled them up & gathered the extra material in & held them where they were supposed to be i thought they looked good,they skimmed my mummy tummy & my ample bum looked quite good too as well as my chunky thighs :) I think if i send them back i will just go with my actual measurements,which i did consider initially,& if there are any unfriendly little bulges i will just wear a girdle underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner