Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman 3.5 months old

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hammer, no offence but I think this flowery, lengthy and conspiratorial talk about fire arms probably belongs somewhere else than here.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Okay, Seb. You're right. My bad. By the way, did I ever tell you about the time a bear wandered into my campsite? It was really unnerving. Anyhow, can we just get back to Dav's jacket? I keep trying to comment on it some more, but you guys seem bound and determined to distract me.

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
To get things back on track here's a pic of a chap in a leather jacket.

IMG_2109.jpg

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I know, I know... I shouldn't drag this thread back off topic again but am I the only one laughing at the thought of Hammer Down in a campsite fending off a bear with a handgun? What do you plan to do with the handgun, beat him about the head? :eusa_doh: You'll need something a little bigger for a bear (something that won't fit in a pocket of an Aero...)

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Black bears are real timid and it's doubtful a MTN Lion hassles a grown man, but wolves can be really dangerous and will set on a man if he looks vulnerable.

I don't see why talking about the gun pocket as an accessory to the jacket is so risque, we're all grown men and women. No need for the politics but it is a function of the jacket, no different than hand warmers or snap down collars.

All my riding gear have gun pockets, only had to use it twice and that's all I'll say about that.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Jeezus! There it is! Dav's jacket! What a picture. With the dog and everything. Looks like a British version of a Norman Rockwell painting: "Man, deep in though with his hound, standing in front of his castle."

As for the bear thing, I do like camping up by Mount Adams in summertime. There are wild bear, wolves, and perhaps even sasquatches. Who knows? Now, I will take up my Aero. There's nothing like bushwacking through pine boughs to break in a horse hide jacket.

Last edited:
Jeesh....what's next? A monotonous teaching tutorial about HH jackets on the range tracking wild buffalo while writing a fersure best seller novel about not never ever really harming any animal..tree..or blade of grass with an agent... Al Gore..and Mikey Moore in tow for political and spiritual advice? I got a feeling that this will now be a never ending education for us all..even if under dire disinterested distress. Gee thanks HorseHide...
BTW..be sure and wear a Camo stingy so the brim doesn't interfer with the scope on that HawgLeg....[huh]

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Okay, whatever you say, HD. What's with the t-shirt in your picture? Are those trees on it, or tie-dyed jellyfish? By the way, I like that double-breasted Bootlegger Aero of yours. A fine jacket, and I'm sure you could hide a six pack or two under the front flap if you ever get the urge to "boot leg" some beer somewheres.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Dav's jacket looks fantastic. One of the best I've seen.

Hammer, HD has been nothing but appropriate, concise and helpful to people here on a site dedicated to outerwear, not philosophy. I think he was just expressing, with humour, some frustration at the didactic, sermonising tone of your posts. Sometimes it's hard to get the tone right. I know I've made my mistakes too.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Oh, flibberdigibbets! Sometimes I think we are all jacket-o-holics! Let's meet in a church basement. I'll go first: "Hello, I'm Hammer and I'm a jacket-o-holic. It's been three hours since my last post on Fedora Lounge."

Okay, you're next, Butte. What do you say, buddy? Hoosier? Anybody? Why not step up to the plate? We're all anonymous here, after all.

Last edited:
Well done Hammer, you've certainly managed to insult many here with these last few posts - myself included.
I think your jackets must be too tight because your posts are showing you to either be oxygen starved, or attention starved. I'd wager both after these rants.
Do us all a favor and keep your promise this time.

Last edited:

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Sorry if my posts got off track a little here and there. Guess the "jacket-o-holic" joke was taking things too far.

The Highwayman jacket on this thread is top notch, to be sure. Well done, Dav! A fine and seasoned break-in on one of the best Highwayman jackets I've ever seen. You also have a lovely home, if that's what I see in the background. We don't have enough natural stone houses here in the States. It's a lost artform to build homes like that, I fear. When I was living in England, I stayed overnight in a friend's home that was supposed to date from the 1300's. Good grief. Now that's an old pile o' rocks!

Last edited:

jimmer_5

Practically Family
To get things back on track here's a pic of a chap in a leather jacket.

IMG_2109.jpg

The jacket is definitely looking good, Dav. YOur house looks cool as well - I love the Ogee arches in the windows and the overall feel.

Dav

One Too Many
Wow the hide is almost alive. Nice grain and 3d look. ......and the Highwayman looks great too!! :D

Dav, very nice jacket indeed, impressive companion and a beautiful house in the background! Wonderful thread!

Artistic license...
Great pic Dav! Raising your own hides? lol
Sorry, the other guy started it. Lovely home and companion.
Jacket's OK too!

Dav's jacket looks fantastic. One of the best I've seen.

The jacket is definitely looking good, Dav. YOur house looks cool as well - I love the Ogee arches in the windows and the overall feel.

Cheers gents, I really love this jacket and the longer I own it the better it gets! :D

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Dav,
The highwayman looks fantastic! the house looks good too!( is it a church/chapel conversion?), and the dog looks great(looks like he could use a nice pair of wayfarers though!), by the way where did you get his collar, I used to use craftsmanleatherwear(from Bradford) but they have vanished and my hound needs a new one!

D

Dav

One Too Many
Hi Davy
Thanks, the house is an old lodge built in 1873 not converted at all, it's tiny actually, only one bedroom, but it suits me.
I ordered the collar from these people a couple of years ago
http://www.hideandcollars.co.uk/collar1.htm
as I got fed up with cheap ones that didn't last, fifth one down btw.
Yes you're right Frank would look great in a pair of shades. :D

Edward

Bartender
Wow, this thread took a left turn somewhere..... ;)

I've come back to this looking for photos of a Highwayman as I've just, eh.... accidentally ordered one.... It's Aero's fault, no, honestly.... they wantonly put up one of their apprentice jackets in my size, and they made me order it. For teh realz, an ting (as I believe the young people say nowadays). I've always shied away from the boxier cut. I really want a black thirties half belt. I have a brown one already which I love, though until I lose a bit of weight, while it's not too tight, it would be more flattering with an inch or two more in the waist. I'm holding off for now on both financial and size grounds til I see. Either way, there's a gap in my wardrobe for something with a bit more of a Fifties vibe, so we'll see if this cuts it. I have another jacket in Aero's steer, so I know it to be an excellent hide, despite that it sits in the shadow of the ever-popular FQHH. With it being already manufactured rather than to order, I should have it this week....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff