HILLSIDE USA HEAVIEST LEATHER

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by PeterRocco, Feb 10, 2021.

1. PeterRocco

PeterRocco One of the Regulars

Hello
    Anybody have Hillside make them a custom jacket? Wonder what the Heaviest and thickest leather they have to offer.
    I know I can call but wondering is anybody has a personal Experience with them ordering a custom Jacket?
    I own one of their Naked Cowhide Jacket. I think for the money they are the best. That's just me.
    Thank You
    Pete

2. ton312

ton312

The most direct path to your answer about the hide is here: https://www.hillsideusa.com/crm.asp?action=contactus
    I wouldn't rely on what somebody else may have...hide selection is not always a constant with any maker, and the last member who posted a new jacket from them received a pretty horrible looking jacket in "less than desirable" hide. In other words...proceed with caution.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PeterRocco likes this.
  3. Coriu

Coriu One of the Regulars

If you are open to suggestions, I would try Fox Creek in Virginia. They are comparable in price range and their reputation is excellent. They are in the middle of nowhere in the mountains of SW Virginia. For people to seek them out, you know they have to be good.

Fiver64 and PeterRocco like this.
  4. PeterRocco

Hello
    Thank You for the info on Fox Creek. I'll give them a call.
    Peter

5. PeterRocco

Hi
    In the second picture of the leather did you send this picture because you don't like the Quality of the Leather?
    Thank You
    Pete

6. ton312

ton312

I do not

JustinW likes this.
  7. PeterRocco

Hi
    Is it the Pebble Finish?

8. ton312

ton312

Yes, to me this just doesn’t look very attractive. The cut of the above jacket also looks off, as do the design elements. These jackets are not cheap and I think for the money a much better value can be had.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  9. PeterRocco

I understand. I really don't like that Pepple Effect Finish.

10. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Hard to tell from that pic of the sleeve .. when enlarged a lot of leathers look like that.

PeterRocco likes this.
  11. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I have a Fox Creek riding jacket and a pair of chaps from them. A quality manufacturer.

12. PeterRocco

Hi
    That's Great to hear you have bought from Fox and Like their Products.

13. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Fox Creek and Hillside seem to have the same junk rubbery leather. I wouldn’t be surprised that they are both the same company...

PeterRocco likes this.
  14. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

15. PeterRocco

Hi
    I should of never listed it. Sorry I did.
    I Love this Forum. I would take it down.

Thank You
    Pete

16. Coriu

Coriu One of the Regulars

Possibly you were just being sarcastic, sir. I can assure you they are not the same company because I have taken the time to learn about Fox Creek's operation. Fox Creek is a family-owned business that was started by a military vet. Everything they sell, with the exception of certain plastic products, is made in the US. They have used the same suppliers for many years. You can go on youtube and see how they make their products.

Considering they are one of the relatively few small businesses left in the US that make custom leather jackets, it doesn't say much for American craftsmanship if FC sells junk. They are one of a very few options for someone wanting a custom, American-made leather jacket in the $500 range. And thank God they do, because most Americans cannot afford a Schott Perfecto or a Langlitz, especially in these times.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    PeterRocco likes this.
  17. PeterRocco

Hi
    Nicely Writtin. I agree for the Price they charge your getting a Great American Made Jacket.
    Pete

18. Fiver64

Fiver64 A-List Customer

I've had both Hillside and Fox Creek, in the Perfecto style cross zip, and IMHO Fox Creek fit better, had better feeling leather, wonderful drape and just was better quality. The Hillside, while equally heavy, was more shapeless, poorer pebbled leather and just sort of blah. Fox Creek is where my money would go!

PeterRocco likes this.
  19. PeterRocco

Hi
    Thanks For Your Help.

20. Stanley Stoots

Stanley Stoots New in Town

Today I received a HillsideUSA jacket I had ordered 18 days previously. I purchased the Distressed Brown D Pocket jacket. My only complaint is the lack of communication with respect to shipping and delivery. They are difficult to communicate with in the sense that the email and phone calls basically go unanswered. That said, I am very impressed with the jacket. This is described as 3 to 3 1/2 ounces of naked cowhide. It’s a heavy jacket , almost as heavy as a Fox Creek jacket I had owned some years ago. They have heavier weight jackets but I really liked the distressed brown. I’d estimate the leather thickness as 1.4mm , close to 1.5mm. I would have bought another FoxCreek jacket had they offered the jacket in brown given my satisfaction with an earlier purchase. That said, I am very pleased with the jacket from HillsideUSA. The leather is top grade and the quality of zippers, pockets, lining, and stitching excellent. For some reason ordering this jacket in size 46 resulting in a substantial savings over a selection in another size choice despite the made to order production . For me , at 5’ 11” 195 , the fit is ample. I likely could have taken a 44 but being able to wear a sweater under the jacket for those really cold rides was I important. Their jackets are American made and made to order. I’ve read less than enthusiastic reviews of their horsehide jackets , but for my money, this one is a bargain.