Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Brothers-Arcane Secrets Of Leather

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you want to go further than this, you need to load up on the lining or just go for some crazy 6oz and plus

Camaro1967

One of the Regulars
I thought I'd want to get super heavy, but there seems to be a happy medium for everyone.

I had a LW ANJ-4 that I loved, but it just wasn't practical for my climate after I moved. It easily weighed 10lbs. But a lot of that was more from the lining than from the leather.

I imagine if the lining on my FW Mulholland was more substantial, it could easily be a pound or two more. It's already in that 6ish lb range with 3.5oz HH.

One thing I really do dig about Himel's stuff is that it's more versatile for multiple types of climate, so unless you opt for some crazy heavy lining, you can usually layer up or down, as needed, and easily be comfortable all 4 seasons. Plus, I think the moose hide this time around is 3 to 3.5oz, so it won't feel too stuffy. I'm trying to imagine how well a 5oz leather breathes. On a 70-80 degree (F) day, I'm dying in my Mulholland.

red devil

I thought I'd want to get super heavy, but there seems to be a happy medium for everyone.

I had a LW ANJ-4 that I loved, but it just wasn't practical for my climate after I moved. It easily weighed 10lbs. But a lot of that was more from the lining than from the leather.

I imagine if the lining on my FW Mulholland was more substantial, it could easily be a pound or two more. It's already in that 6ish lb range with 3.5oz HH.

One thing I really do dig about Himel's stuff is that it's more versatile for multiple types of climate, so unless you opt for some crazy heavy lining, you can usually layer up or down, as needed, and easily be comfortable all 4 seasons. Plus, I think the moose hide this time around is 3 to 3.5oz, so it won't feel too stuffy. I'm trying to imagine how well a 5oz leather breathes. On a 70-80 degree (F) day, I'm dying in my Mulholland.

I haven't found that the weight of the leather makes a big difference in whether a jacket is hot or cold, on the other hand, I find the the lining is much more relevant. My wool lined jackets are only comfortable in winter here.

Camaro1967

One of the Regulars
Interesting. I wonder if that has to do more with the idiosyncrasies of your local climate, or just a matter of how hot or cold you are, naturally as a person.

In my case, I live in San Francisco, so the weather is fairly moderate. Never too hot or cold, but if I wear my Mulholland on a day over 70 (F), it's just too uncomfortable for me to wear all day.

When I was in South Korea, I'd wear my ANJ-4 all over the place during winter and it was too warm, too, but in all the best ways possible. In San Francisco, not even on the coldest day could I comfortably wear it.

Anyway, I'd love to try 5oz of leather versus 3.5 just to feel what the difference would be. I imagine it's sort of like a natural bullet proof vest.

red devil

Interesting. I wonder if that has to do more with the idiosyncrasies of your local climate, or just a matter of how hot or cold you are, naturally as a person.

In my case, I live in San Francisco, so the weather is fairly moderate. Never too hot or cold, but if I wear my Mulholland on a day over 70 (F), it's just too uncomfortable for me to wear all day.

When I was in South Korea, I'd wear my ANJ-4 all over the place during winter and it was too warm, too, but in all the best ways possible. In San Francisco, not even on the coldest day could I comfortably wear it.

Anyway, I'd love to try 5oz of leather versus 3.5 just to feel what the difference would be. I imagine it's sort of like a natural bullet proof vest.

In a stiff leather like Horsehide, 5oz does feel like a suit of armour. The moosehide on the other hand is very comfortable, it just envelopes you softly if that makes sense. Two very different feelings.

Since you're in SF, why don't you drop by Johnson Leathers? They have heavy jackets on display for you to try :)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I tried that 5oz moosehide jacket and it is AMAZING.
It is the nicest feeling jacket you can imagine, it's like a big heavy wet blanket, it feels like a leather hug.
I was not a fan of the deer, it felt a bit thin and underwhelming to me, but that moose is magical.

Kalmer

One of the Regulars
It is the nicest feeling jacket you can imagine, it's like a big heavy wet blanket, it feels like a leather hug.
I was not a fan of the deer, it felt a bit thin and underwhelming to me, but that moose is magical.

Just curious, why let it go then?
And it seems LW doesn’t have moose option now, only heavy weight deerskin, which I assume is kind of similar?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
And it seems LW doesn’t have moose option now, only heavy weight deerskin, which I assume is kind of similar?

It wasn't mine, i actually got to try Red Devil's jacket.
There is a huge difference between the 3.5oz and the 5oz moose.
The moose has a more interesting less uniform grain, i think i remember it as more matte, and mostly it has a really nice density/weight to it. It moves on you as if it was superglued to your skin.
To me the heavyweight deerskin (3.5oz) feels thin and flimsy, it also has a very uniform grain and a shine/coating i didn't like as much.
I would not pay the upcharge for the deer, but i would buy on a 5oz moosehide jacket without hesitating.

red devil

And I have no plans on ever letting it go :)
I haven't tried very heavy deerskin yet, not sure how heavy it can go with LW. The moose hide was sadly a one off, I was able to get my jacket because I asked I asked if there was enough hide for a dual tone. Luckily there was.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Dave Himel gets his moose hide from Canada @ about 3.5-oz; it varies every year though. I suspect LW might have gotten his 5-oz monster moose hide from here (a Finnish moose tannery is mentioned on LW site):

https://www.kokkolan.com/ecological-leather-us/

Wondering if Fedora Lounge could put a few orders together, either Himel or LW would be amenable to order enough of the Finnish hide for a few jackets.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Dave Himel gets his moose hide from Canada @ about 3.5-oz; it varies every year though. I suspect LW might have gotten his 5-oz monster moose hide from here (a Finnish moose tannery is mentioned on LW site):

Wondering if Fedora Lounge could put a few orders together, either Himel or LW would be amenable to order enough of the Finnish hide for a few jackets.

If we can get it done with LW i already know of two volunteers to do it...
Not sure how many we would need to be for it to work.

red devil

If we have enough people interested in this then it would work, we need to find out what is the minimum order. Also keep in mind that with the moose being a wild animal, it is difficult to get hides witn minimal scarring as opposed to cow hide which is usually very clean.
LW will not make anything that is less than perfect, so that will mean a lot of wastage in cutting panels. I am definitely up in sourcing moose hide iof there is enough interest.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I would consider to be in for a heavy moose LW, depending on hide color, availability, and cost. Dave Himel touts moose hide imperfections, it is a wild animal, after all.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The man who sold me this Heavy Bison LW also sold a Free Range Buffalo LW that was notable for scars, imperfections etc. I don't think I have any pictures. It was a Roadmaster style jacket. Much different that this Buffalo trucker hide. This jacket weighs around 6 pounds.

BDf-sDE0nHg6R93paPaO3vp0UJHgcW3T-l3_cz97pXr_PJ6e1LmHfusIHPMLjvA9qpwF0nlwUUB-vgjMgQDclOxCwDnFuHK7oC8mICHLoJWdnFyajE65IIBVv_GTPgcfBzNywr0B2wBU4cz0E9e686H5QLILzbUfNXtolc897ud2T8fk4eaywJCG62BUOncGZgycidQEjbMdH78YixZK_yU7p4KWZTqTt3A0DmErvbOrDIJFpQE4VXMw_q4EeJ6h7BryTcQ5YEbXUf_ATYEZzYf0xqt9f5jOJHONrJ3HbvISPLNhvMVxFysITnAkDlPSLCka9MML40BBBEsSi7zHwZbu0Fp_zPJiSy8w6sgk-w6VvZzmjLUlwSvHr2iXDOMk6ALylT4eOfFcP04QHc9k3dOBJnQa83xdGsgkMPR-5Yttxn4ZAEapDrVIX5tmUa0pHuGxKazB7kXouskXDEXs7QXKOKaGNlbIJrbSguSQ1cEifcY6XWZUkN8D6kLIeKNMjNFW9ksQVWmdgtZ2xteaBO44RZcYy5wkt1Id3Ysg1D-Unnpv0mXGUkiu8SeNmnS1ic5G1fZfTIyam4_O3khUNIOjwi3laUh42251nWSEU3S-gyP_S2q_aeTA-vjJ-xShlxfUUNJt-owXkVM8Ihm4TcYj1Mo7QgzPcjiHhyz3DktVHCbvUPk1eej3h-s3veDH3QhYN5_wVqFEM0yJUq5KrO7MJDn4WYoN4kLbg8C9hAzlwrXjpKTP_A4=w1009-h670-no

red devil

The man who sold me this Heavy Bison LW also sold a Free Range Buffalo LW that was notable for scars, imperfections etc. I don't think I have any pictures. It was a Roadmaster style jacket. Much different that this Buffalo trucker hide. This jacket weighs around 6 pounds.

BDf-sDE0nHg6R93paPaO3vp0UJHgcW3T-l3_cz97pXr_PJ6e1LmHfusIHPMLjvA9qpwF0nlwUUB-vgjMgQDclOxCwDnFuHK7oC8mICHLoJWdnFyajE65IIBVv_GTPgcfBzNywr0B2wBU4cz0E9e686H5QLILzbUfNXtolc897ud2T8fk4eaywJCG62BUOncGZgycidQEjbMdH78YixZK_yU7p4KWZTqTt3A0DmErvbOrDIJFpQE4VXMw_q4EeJ6h7BryTcQ5YEbXUf_ATYEZzYf0xqt9f5jOJHONrJ3HbvISPLNhvMVxFysITnAkDlPSLCka9MML40BBBEsSi7zHwZbu0Fp_zPJiSy8w6sgk-w6VvZzmjLUlwSvHr2iXDOMk6ALylT4eOfFcP04QHc9k3dOBJnQa83xdGsgkMPR-5Yttxn4ZAEapDrVIX5tmUa0pHuGxKazB7kXouskXDEXs7QXKOKaGNlbIJrbSguSQ1cEifcY6XWZUkN8D6kLIeKNMjNFW9ksQVWmdgtZ2xteaBO44RZcYy5wkt1Id3Ysg1D-Unnpv0mXGUkiu8SeNmnS1ic5G1fZfTIyam4_O3khUNIOjwi3laUh42251nWSEU3S-gyP_S2q_aeTA-vjJ-xShlxfUUNJt-owXkVM8Ihm4TcYj1Mo7QgzPcjiHhyz3DktVHCbvUPk1eej3h-s3veDH3QhYN5_wVqFEM0yJUq5KrO7MJDn4WYoN4kLbg8C9hAzlwrXjpKTP_A4=w1009-h670-no

That one looks good! How do you find the Bison?

red devil

I like it. I wear it often. Feels heavy until you get it on. I wanted the free Range jacket, but didn't have the money. It was very different hide as I recall. I'll see if I still have the pictures.

I am still curious about getting something in Kudu, now that would be heavily scarred! The hides I have seen looked like they had been through rough times!

Camaro1967

One of the Regulars
In a stiff leather like Horsehide, 5oz does feel like a suit of armour. The moosehide on the other hand is very comfortable, it just envelopes you softly if that makes sense. Two very different feelings.

Since you're in SF, why don't you drop by Johnson Leathers? They have heavy jackets on display for you to try :)
I always wondered if different animal hides, while still the same oz weight, would actually have a measurable difference when worn.

I've been to Johnson Leathers a few times, but usually to have a vintage piece fixed up. I haven't considered having them make anything for me yet. I'm not really sold on the styles they offer either. I know they can make some nice stuff, but I am more partial to Japanese manufacturers and it's not feasible to ask them to make a jacket more like a Freewheelers or Fine Creek. It's just not what they do.

I was searching like a mad man for a LW moosehide jacket at one time, but it seems like whatever they had available, it's been long gone and the pieces they did make, were more like one offs.

Perhaps they would be open to making something if we sourced the leather ourselves? Or is Stu only open to using his own in-house stuff?

i would buy on a 5oz moosehide jacket without hesitating
I wish there was somewhere I could actually go to try something like that on first. I'm absolutely interested, but I'm reluctant to throw down some serious cash for a jacket, sight unseen, jacket unworn.

I'd be down with that. But at some point, I wonder whether that kind of leather weight would restrict what styles and sizes could be made. Would the leather even be able to get an even stitch at that size?

If we can get it done with LW i already know of two volunteers to do it...
Not sure how many we would need to be for it to work.
Depending on the price tag, I'm tentatively on board. If anyone asked me 2 years ago whether I'd ever spend some serious cash on a jacket, I would have scoffed at the idea. But damnit, the fedora lounge effect is as addictive as it is real.

If we have enough people interested in this then it would work, we need to find out what is the minimum order. Also keep in mind that with the moose being a wild animal, it is difficult to get hides witn minimal scarring as opposed to cow hide which is usually very clean.
LW will not make anything that is less than perfect, so that will mean a lot of wastage in cutting panels. I am definitely up in sourcing moose hide iof there is enough interest.
Would LW make anything that isn't chrome tanned? Although, that may also produce something unique and one-of-a-kind with a moosehide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari