Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Brothers Leather Co.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
discussing money is gauche
There have certainly been times I have felt this way myself. Whenever I wear a new jacket I am always pleased when someone notices or comments on it. Too often, however, the very next words out of their mouths are: "how much did that one cost?" This always disappoints me because it instantly turns our discussion into an evaluation of the quality or value of the jacket based only on dollars and cents. I would much rather talk about Horween CXL or Shinki horsehide than tell someone how many days (or weeks) I worked to pay for my jacket.
I feel differently about discussing money on this forum though. We are all jacket nuts here, and many of us have spent enough on leather jackets to buy at least one or two used Hondas! I don't see anyone here bringing up money to belittle another members jacket nor to imply that something that costs more is inherently better for that reason alone. Here the thing we obsess about most is fit, and that is something that can be found anywhere from a perfectly made Himmel down to a lucky thrift store find.

himelator

Vendor
There have certainly been times I have felt this way myself. Whenever I wear a new jacket I am always pleased when someone notices or comments on it. Too often, however, the very next words out of their mouths are: "how much did that one cost?" This always disappoints me because it instantly turns our discussion into an evaluation of the quality or value of the jacket based only on dollars and cents. I would much rather talk about Horween CXL or Shinki horsehide than tell someone how many days (or weeks) I worked to pay for my jacket.
I feel differently about discussing money on this forum though. We are all jacket nuts here, and many of us have spent enough on leather jackets to buy at least one or two used Hondas! I don't see anyone here bringing up money to belittle another members jacket nor to imply that something that costs more is inherently better for that reason alone. Here the thing we obsess about most is fit, and that is something that can be found anywhere from a perfectly made Himmel down to a lucky thrift store find.
apparently someone found one of my jackets in a thrift store for 18 dollars on style forum...I thought to myself ...someone must have died or broken up with their wife and had their crap thrown out...sad

himelator

Vendor
Himel can be aggressive and brash in his speech as is evidenced in his reply here.
Im quite bored tonight and drinking scotch....
The truth is that it was patrons of Himmel who noted the flaws in the jacket that has sparked the outcry. They have trained their eye, under Himmels tutelage, to notice such things. You can't go back and complain when the student becomes the master. If you've spent the time to explain to your customer base why you have a superior product and then something comes up that is not perceived by that base as not up to par, it is sour grapes to then declare you are being unfairly treated and your product unfairly scrutinized under a microscope. I am untrained in the Himmel dojo, I stated earlier I would likely overlook the stitching flaws (not near the zipper) at the collar.
I am not trying to offend anyone but I do feel if you draw a line in the sand, it's your reaponsibilty to stand behind it. Perhaps it's all a bit silly. My feeling is, and always has been, that the best jacket is simply the one you wear the most. Regardless of hide, stiches, price, etc.

Reactions: A-1

ProteinNerd

apparently someone found one of my jackets in a thrift store for 18 dollars on style forum...I thought to myself ...someone must have died or broken up with their wife and had their crap thrown out...sad

But at least it's been found by someone who appreciates it for being a great Jacket and will probably wear the hell out of it.

You got paid to make the jacket and some lucky bugger won the lottery it's a win-win

Enjoy your scotch!

himelator

Vendor
because of boredom, scotch drinking and the fact I am taking a vacation next week I thought I might respond to the often bizarre and strange conversation here. Firstly I make jackets, I am fully aware of the materials and process' we use..different leather and stitching comes out differently in each jacket. Sometimes jackets are not "perfect"...part of our process is to produce variance in the product. In the case of a white jacket with black stitching....yes the slightest variance is going to show up..unlike matching stitching. Perhaps for the amateur eye and the vindictive critic this might seem like an opportunity to gloat and feel they have a chance to "take us down" a notch. Generally as I policy I should not respond or even read this stuff, sometimes it is almost comical in the analysis...we have communist overtones in the desire to talk of price...an endless debate between the have and have nots on the lounge...then there is the "what is perfect" debate...well...this jacket is lovely....the customer who bought it is super happy...if a customer is unhappy guess what I try to accommodate them...as long as its not unreasonable. I do this jacket project for love, cause I ain't getting rich....there are no shortcuts..and the business is precarious at best. This deerskin has unique characteristics...its a beautiful..soft spongy mess...it will age like a chamois rag and suck up everything in its path...it will become a favorite precious thing....fragile and tender...that is what deerskin typically is....with its variance of stitching, high grain...and porous surface it needs flaws, and the state of the leather affects the way the stitching lays down. So if you don't like my brand or my jackets...don't buy them...if you want to understand them then take the time to learn and listen...if you think I am running some kind of scam or get rich quick scheme spend a week with me...but you will have to pay for the pleasure as I could use some development money. I like my products...I like some other companies products...I dislike lack of information, context and balanced opinion....and yes Jimmy I have a hierarchy of jackets based on quality and price...and I will discuss the differences with paying customers as they want to know what to expect when they purchase a jacket. And to date I have had two ...that is correct two customers in 6 years that have been unhappy and have had unresolvable issues. If there are more they have not contacted me. I am in the midst of redoing my website....I suppose I will devote some pages to testimonials from customers.....I really think people should consider that when you post online that you are accountable for your character. I stand behind mine...the people that have met me in a work setting will stand behind my character as well. Take the time to come visit if I am at a show in your area and you might be surprised at how non ogeresque and terse I can be.

Superfluous

I have known Dave for two and a half years, and I have interacted with him extensively. Dave calls it as he sees it -- he does not hold back. He is genuine, authenticate and a plain speaker. He freely and brazenly delivers his unvarnished opinions and candid truths. He is the antithesis of a politician. Some will undoubtedly find him abrasive. His blunt approach probably costs him a few customers. I suspect he doesn't care. For him, it is all about his craft. He is passionate about his art . . . perhaps to a fault. He gets upset when his craftsmanship is criticized. Is that really a surprise? Dave genuinely cares. He pours his heart and soul into his jackets. So, understandably, he takes it personally when others disparage his artwork . . . just like any other artist, he takes it to heart. This is part of the package when you purchase a Himel jacket. You are buying a bench-made, one-off work of art inspired and designed by Dave Himel. IMHO, that is part of the beauty and desirability of Himel's jackets . . . the experience of working directly with the artisan.

if a customer is unhappy guess what I try to accommodate them...as long as its not unreasonable. I do this jacket project for love, cause I ain't getting rich....there are no shortcuts..and the business is precarious at best.

I am a VERY difficult and demanding customer. Yet, Dave bends over backwards to make me happy . . . at great cost to him. With my most recent Himel jacket, I nit-picked over a trivial difference in one dimension of the jacket. To be clear, the jacket looked and fit great, and it probably was better as made. Nevertheless, when I nit-picked about the one trivial issue, Dave did not hesitate to make me a completely new jacket. Of note, I only asked him to change one panel, but he nevertheless remade the jacket from scratch. Notwithstanding his blunt manner, Dave's service is superlative and on a par with his stellar jackets.

Are Dave's jackets pricey. You bet. Are they worth the price? That is a subjective question that everyone must answer for themselves. I have answered it for myself -- five times. Of course, my answer is not the correct answer for others.

Put yourself in Dave's shoes for a moment. How would you feel if you were an artist and people were relentlessly debating the subjective value of your artwork, and scrutinizing every minute detail of your artwork, and sometimes making downright unkind statements about you and your artwork? Its got to be spectacularly unpleasant and disconcerting. Yes, it is a necessary evil that serves an important purpose. Nevertheless, I commend Dave for enduring the scrutiny that he is put through here on a regular basis. I don't think I would have the patience, and my response would likely be considerably more harsh than Dave's response.

Love him or hate him, he makes a damn fine jacket and I am looking forward to receiving my new Kensington. Enjoy your scotch Dave, and your well deserved vacation.

can you guys take a look at this and tell me what you think of the fit? It's tight in the shoulders.

The shoulders. I don't mind a tight jacket, neither one that's too small but it has to have shoulders. This one has lost them on you. I mean, you can pull it off no trouble, still fits better than most peoples jackets but I too would want a jacket that's size larger.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
It's mostly tighter in the shoulders than I'd like. I have another jacket with similar measurements but the shoulder size is larger and seems to fit me better.

what is it called when your jacket's shoulders are cut for riding a motorcycle?
from the photo seems like your sleeve is already has riding pose in mind, a bit more forward than on the side, maybe that's why you feel a bit tight when your arm on the side, can you just wear it half zipped or totally unzipped when not on the bike and zip it up when riding, because the jacket on your video when unzipped looks great on you.

Last edited:
It's mostly tighter in the shoulders than I'd like. I have another jacket with similar measurements but the shoulder size is larger and seems to fit me better.

what is it called when your jacket's shoulders are cut for riding a motorcycle?
I would describe that as ease. Certain makers build ease into the jacket via the back design and shoulder width. Also the sleeve diameter plays a role. A good fitting m/c jacket shouldn't lock you into one position. I guess a good fitting anything jacket shouldn't. That said I've owned and enjoyed some that have.

Superfluous

19623448_715533105320995_1622364337752506368_n.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Boy, do I love this circular discussion about Himel that has been going on for literally years without end. I have a great idea:

The people who enjoy Himel jackets can enjoy them and those that don't can just be quiet about it. You don't see me going into every single Aero or SB thread complaining about them like several people do in every Himel thread.
Is that easy enough for you guys?

Last edited:
The people who enjoy Himel jackets can enjoy them and those that don't can just be quiet about it. You don't see me going into every single Aero or SB thread complaining about them like several people do in every Himel thread (Ton and Monitor both do this and it's annoying as hell).

Well, yeah, you may have presented a valid point but you also need to take into perspective the fact that this is so simply on the account that neither Aero nor SB suck while Himel does.

If it's not obvious and clear enough, I'm kidding. I'll try not to ruin any more Himel threads, I promise.

Last edited:
Boy, do I love this circular discussion about Himel that has been going on for literally years without end. I have a great idea:

The people who enjoy Himel jackets can enjoy them and those that don't can just be quiet about it. You don't see me going into every single Aero or SB thread complaining about them like several people do in every Himel thread.
Is that easy enough for you guys?
I have to say I'm a bit confused by this post. I think we actually moved past the stitching flaws (as pointed out by fans and customers of the brand) and on to @Americanaaa Mark's jacket and the fit. I'm assuming that is his jacket SF posted above? Seems everything worked out pretty swell in this case. No?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I have to say I'm a bit confused by this post. I think we actually moved past the stitching flaws (as pointed out by fans and customers of the brand) and on to @Americanaaa Mark's jacket and the fit. I'm assuming that is his jacket SF posted above? Seems everything worked out pretty swell in this case. No?
Maybe I did miss where we moved on and I apologize for that. My poor excuse is that I've been deathly sick all weekend and I'm still a little loopy, but that's not reason enough.
My apologies to you and @Monitor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko