Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Brothers Leather Co.

Davo

New in Town
How annoying! I'v only had my aero for 3 months and now this turns up. I was expecting my "never need to buy another expensive leather jacket" attitude to last a lot longer.

Qinhan

Familiar Face
Himmel Brothers looks really expensive.

You're not alone in thinking that. However imho this is an example of you get what you pay for. Everything about Himel Bros. jackets is top-notch, from design to materials and construction. Dave Himel has addressed the cost question in a recent blog post of his, if you are interested.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The difficulty I have when you get to towards the £1,000 price tag, actually anything over £500, I really need to have the thing in my hands or be measured by the company making it, even with their detailed guide to doing it. I have nothing but respect and admiration for those who throw their lot in with Aero, Lost World or Bill Kelso and send their measurements in, but the prospect of getting it wrong terrifies me. But I do think Himel Bros make the loveliest looking jackets, the quality shines out of the site, and I really do fancy a heron type with a button-up with a shawl collar.

Qinhan

Familiar Face
Completely understandable. I've felt exactly the same way when handing over large sums of money for a product I haven't tried on or even seen. Ultimately, unless you are able to travel to see the vendor in person, I'm not sure there is any way to put your mind at ease. In my case, going to see David would be a trip half way around the world. That's not likely to happen any time soon.

In the end, for me, the desire to own one of these jackets overcame the anxiety about measurements and fit. I'm glad that it did! :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I tip my hat to you. I think it's down to the company to give you confidence and as much information as possible about fits or whatever. I keep promising myself that I'll make it to Tokyo, maybe 2013 will be that year. *hides credit card from self*

majormajor

One Too Many
It's a vintage jacket. To some that means more expensive.

For me, I would get one made, and make sure it fitted me perfectly.

And I wouldn't pay Himmel's prices. But that's just me :D;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's a vintage jacket. To some that means more expensive.

For me, I would get one made, and make sure it fitted me perfectly.

And I wouldn't pay Himmel's prices. But that's just me :D;)

It does seem awfully expensive. I'll just have to keep buying Lottery tickets, I suppose.

Ishmael

Practically Family
How annoying! I'v only had my aero for 3 months and now this turns up. I was expecting my "never need to buy another expensive leather jacket" attitude to last a lot longer.

Same here!

Again, I don't know anything about vintage, just really like that jacket. Think that, when the time comes to buy another leather piece, I'd like a warm jacket like that. Just one for me to keep in mind. Not sure who is really doing a style like that......

Sloan, let me know when you're in Tokyo! I'll actually be in Toronto next April and hope to get sized up for a Himel, just in case!

Qinhan

Familiar Face

Yep, I know that feeling. Addiction comes in many forms.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
These jackets are haunting me. So (expletive) nice. I'd like to eventually go for one. Two tone Avro.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It seems to me the prices of Canadian made products are not as competitive as the American's. Take the Himmel and JC J-100 style jackets and Viberg vs White's and Wesco. Perhaps the sales tax is the cause. Well, there are many others who would gladly offer tax refund to attract international buyers.

Superfluous

It seems to me the prices of Canadian made products are not as competitive as the American's. Take the Himmel and JC J-100 style jackets

As for Himel, the pricing disparity may be less about the Canadian origin, and more about his sales/distribution model. In addition to offering jackets through his own website, Himel also sells jackets through third party retailers. The retailers obviously mark-up the jackets in order to have a profit margin. Himel cannot offer the same jackets for less (e.g., wholesale) through his website because that would undermine his retailers and they would cease carrying his jackets. Therefore, his website pricing has to be largely consistent with the retail pricing, including the middleman mark-up. Conversely, JC does not have any retail distribution. Rather, he sells all of his jackets directly to the public. Therefore, JC can charge his customers what is essentially a wholesale price, where as Himel must charge a retail price.

Both Himel's jackets and Viberg boots are exceptional products.

Indeed they are!

HimelCanuckBrown32_zpsce071ee9.jpg

HimelCanuck32_zpsbcaacb1d.jpg

Blackadder

Both Himel's jackets and Viberg boots are exceptional products.
They are very well made but not unique.

As for Himel, the pricing disparity may be less about the Canadian origin, and more about his sales/distribution model. In addition to offering jackets through his own website, Himel also sells jackets through third party retailers. The retailers obviously mark-up the jackets in order to have a profit margin. Himel cannot offer the same jackets for less (e.g., wholesale) through his website because that would undermine his retailers and they would cease carrying his jackets. Therefore, his website pricing has to be largely consistent with the retail pricing, including the middleman mark-up. Conversely, JC does not have any retail distribution. Rather, he sells all of his jackets directly to the public. Therefore, JC can charge his customers what is essentially a wholesale price, where as Himel must charge a retail price.

Indeed they are!
Those are just 2 examples and just to name another, the Homespun knitwear.

tropicalbob

Thanks, Superfluous, for that very cogent explanation. I've always admired Himel Bros.' work but been put off by the vertiginous prices. Now I understand why I can't afford them.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
As for Himel, the pricing disparity may be less about the Canadian origin, and more about his sales/distribution model. In addition to offering jackets through his own website, Himel also sells jackets through third party retailers. The retailers obviously mark-up the jackets in order to have a profit margin. Himel cannot offer the same jackets for less (e.g., wholesale) through his website because that would undermine his retailers and they would cease carrying his jackets. Therefore, his website pricing has to be largely consistent with the retail pricing, including the middleman mark-up. Conversely, JC does not have any retail distribution. Rather, he sells all of his jackets directly to the public. Therefore, JC can charge his customers what is essentially a wholesale price, where as Himel must charge a retail price

Indeed they are!

HimelCanuckBrown32_zpsce071ee9.jpg

HimelCanuck32_zpsbcaacb1d.jpg

That brown Canuk of yours is a very special bit of kit. I also like the wool version they do. Very nice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21