Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Brothers Leather Co.

Benj

One of the Regulars
Lackluster how? I know that the Heron is a bit wonky of a fit, but it's supposed to be. How was the craftsmanship/leather? And I don't want to hear any of this "classic characterless shinki" if you guys don't feel the same about Aero's FQHH :rolleyes:

A-1

One Too Many
Well, I've tried on some Himels in Zurich. I too wasn't impressed by the jackets. Also tried on some RMC jackets and thought they were great, but the fit just wasn't right. Not to mention that I will never buy a piece of clothing for more than 2000€.
This is actually the reason why I went DD in the first place and still stick with him. There is just no other maker offering a shinki HH Buco jacket for 1000€.
If I hadn't already put in the order at DD, I think I would've bought the Avro from Cultizm for 1300€. But that's actually as high as I would go.

It's the hide that I'm referring to. If you compare the SE dull brown to the dark seal he does on custom (factory) orders, it's night and day.

Last edited:
Lackluster how? I know that the Heron is a bit wonky of a fit, but it's supposed to be. How was the craftsmanship/leather? And I don't want to hear any of this "classic characterless shinki" if you guys don't feel the same about Aero's FQHH :rolleyes:
I have no clue what you're talking about, but we're discussing the Himel here, not Aero.

Benj

One of the Regulars
I'm saying that I can't take someone seriously if they look at a new shinki jacket and say that it's characterless, and also believe that a new Aero FQHH CXL jacket is not characterless.

I'm saying that I can't take someone seriously if they look at a new shinki jacket and say that it's characterless, and also believe that a new Aero FQHH CXL jacket is not characterless.
I can say that based on the jackets I've seen and owned. As I said, it's not all Himel's - Ive seen a few that make me drool. I've seen Aero's that make be yawn. Why you brought that here I have no idea...it's not a p*ssing contest.

Benj

One of the Regulars
I can say that based on the jackets I've seen and owned. As I said, it's not all Himel's - Ive seen a few that make me drool. I've seen Aero's that make be yawn. Why you brought that here I have no idea...it's not a p*ssing contest.

It was a light-hearted comment, stemming from the fact that I think it's funny that shinki is often described as being characterless while most say nothing of the sort when referring to Aero, which at least through photos appears to be much flatter and less natural-looking than shinki.

Maybe it's just you're posting style, but it appears you're quite annoyed with my comment. From now on, I'll be sure to keep my opinions off the board!

nickgp

New in Town
I'll probably get boo'd here, but not much there thrills me.
I'll have to say it might just be timing, but between Aero and GW, I am set for the foreseeable future. Maybe I'm just not stylish enough for them yet lol
I feel exactly the same way but these guys can obviously do anything probably the best it has ever been done.

It was a light-hearted comment, stemming from the fact that I think it's funny that shinki is often described as being characterless while most say nothing of the sort when referring to Aero, which at least through photos appears to be much flatter and less natural-looking than shinki.

Maybe it's just you're posting style, but it appears you're quite annoyed with my comment. From now on, I'll be sure to keep my opinions off the board!
No, don't keep your comments off the board. Yes, I'm annoyed by your comment as it's 1) Untrue 2) looking for a fight.
Show me the posts that backup your claims? I've not seen Shinki referred to in this way and often the opposite. And I've seen a lot of love for Aero (and others) but I've seen Aero get it's share of "blah" too. I'm critical of Aero in the way they cut their jackets. Nothing wrong with any of that but I don't understand why you felt the need to start this here.

I feel exactly the same way but these guys can obviously do anything probably the best it has ever been done.

When I posted that, Himel had not yet made some of the newer models. I've seen one or two here that I proclaimed as lusty bits. But I think that from what I saw that some are also way over-priced and rated. But I'm willing to accept those as not the norm.

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jeez, this thread has really gone astray.

First, to those who had the audacity to suggest that David Himel copied SJC’s Grizzly jacket – are you f*ing kidding me? David Himel has been making some of the finest leather jackets, including a benchmark Grizzly, for almost ten years. SJC, while by all accounts a decent guy, is an upstart clothing designer that recently decided to try his hand at a (presumably outsourced) leather jacket. Himel does not copy any contemporary manufacturers, let alone random upstarts. To the contrary, upstarts copy Himel, including at least one jacket manufacturer favored by some here (who admitted, in writing, to copying Himel’s Heron).

Although Himel did not copy SJC, he did copy a vintage design. This is the jacket that Himel’s new Timberwolf is modeled after:

Himel%20Griz_zps1nnyu3xq.jpg

Himel specializes in reproducing vintage jackets, and his new Timberwolf is no different.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that SJC copied Himel’s new Timberwolf. Rather, it appears to be a genuine coincidence that both are concurrently pursuing similar designs. I wish SJC the best of luck with his new jacket. That said, I would be very surprised if SJC can find someone to make his jacket at a level of quality approaching Himel’s craftsmanship.

Second, some have expressed disappointment at the quality of a particular Himel jacket. I own two Himel jackets – soon to be three – and I have handled literally dozens of Himel jackets. In my experience, Himel’s jackets reflect an extraordinary level of artisan craftsmanship that surpasses the vast majority of other manufacturers. Frankly, JC is the only other person I can think of that employs similar artisan craftsmanship. That said, Himel’s jackets are not perfect. All of Himel’s jackets are hand/bench made. Therefore, minor imperfections are inevitable and par for the course. My Good Wear Imperial is similarly and wonderfully imperfect (so too is my Aero). As I have said before, RMC produces a more precise jacket. On the other hand, RMC does not employ the same level of artisan craftsmanship.

Third, in my experience, there is nothing like Shinki HH. However, even among Shinki hides, some excel more than others. Some are more dynamic, whereas others are duller – some have more grain, whereas others are flatter. This is inevitable. The same is true for hides from any tannery. Therefore, when speaking about and comparing hides from different tanneries, we must disregard the third standard of deviation, and focus on the more representative hides. When considered in this context, I have yet to find a hide that compares with Shinki. It is my personal favorite (some of the Italian HH is also very good). Unfortunately, Shinki HH is very expensive – I am told that it is the most expensive HH. Therefore, Himel, JC, RMC and others charge a premium for Shinki HH (DD is the exception, but that is an altogether different discussion).

Fourth, Himel’s jackets are undeniably expensive. Are they worth the price. That’s a personal and subjective question that everyone must answer for them self. Himel’s jackets are way beyond the point of diminishing returns. They are not “bang for the buck” jackets. A Bentley Mulsanne is undeniably superior to a BMW 750. Is a Mulsanne worth 3-4 times the price of a 750? Same answer – that’s a personal and subjective question. We are talking about discretionary, luxury items. One can purchase an adequate leather jacket for $300, just as one can purchase an adequate car for $30,000. Therefore, when one elects to spend $1,000-$2,200 for a jacket, or $90,000-300,000 for a car, one is spending far more than necessary (or even rational). The decision to stop at $1,500 vs. $2,200, or $160,000 vs. $300,000, is a personal and subjective decision that largely defies logic. The notion that it is “rational” to spend $1,400 on an Aero Vicenza or $1,700 on a Good Wear, but it is irrational to spend $2,000 on a Himel, is comical. All of these expenditures are irrational. The only issue is the limits of one's irrationality. For me, personally, there is no meaningful difference between these figures – in other words, the additional few hundred dollars has no impact on my life. Therefore, as between these options, I buy what I like, and I do not attempt to justify or rationalize it. Rather, I accept that I am being irrational and enjoy the fruits of my irrationality. I work hard for the money and I damn well deserve to enjoy it.

Lets get this thread back on track. I commend Himel for his continuing ingenuity and creation of new designs to compliment his existing stable of exceptional jackets. I personally will not be buying the Timberwolf, as it is too much jacket for me. Instead, I am focused on the Frobisher.

For those of you in the New York area, you should check out Himel’s new jackets at Liberty Fairs: http://libertyfairs.com/shows/new-york-show/ . He will have both the Timberwolf and the Frobisher on display, among others.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I don’t know if it’s due to the lighting, but the leather looks very plasticky.
I also like the second one. The back seams are wonderfully aligned with the sleeve seams. Dig it!
The Frobisher is a little bit too long on this dude for my taste.

The lighting on those shots is not good.

that Frobisher is too big for that model

the second one is his size and fit and gets my attention

Reactions: A-1

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last edited:
Reactions: A-1

A-1

One Too Many
Haha, ok. I haven't seen the original post. So, yeah.

I must say that I admire Himel for his creativity in cuts and his courage to make his own models based on vintage cuts, not copying the same models over and over again. I think he has a unique talent for that.

I can't speak of the overall craftsmanship and quality because I've only seen and tried on 3 Himel jackets in person, I just wasn't impressed by those I've touched.

As I've mentioned before, I appreciate his works as art from the photos I've seen, but when I buy a leather jacket I'll wear it hard and every day. I'm not a person who attends fashion shows. I go to concerts in dirty places and squats where people tend to piss on the floor, sorry, but this is true.

Monitor, a Himel jacket is usually about 2000€ here in Germany, well, if you find it. And yeah, it's very personal if you wanna spend this money on it. I even think they're worth it. Not because of the craftsmanship and quality, but because of its individuality and untouched level of creativity in style. There's something in most of his jackets that you are very likely to have never seen on other jackets. For my purpose of using the jacket I just think Himel's are just not right.
Ok, you got me, 1000€ already is way too much for that purpose. But I still hope a leather jacket will last me longer and will develop a very personal look after a while.
Plus, I like hand-made, tailored stuff. When done right, haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner