Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Frobisher

singer

Familiar Face
As promised, here are some photos of my Himel Frobisher in Shinki Horsehide. Photos are straight out of an iPhone camera and resized--no filters, etc. No photography skills :) A couple days of wear on it.

Specs:

- Medium Brown Shinki in “Oil Tan” wax pullup finish. Aniline.
- Leather facings
- 2 inside pockets
- Custom measurements provided (around 38/39)
- Grainy leather preferred, if possible
- Lighter weight leather preferred, if possible
- Brass Hardware, zips
- Brass buckles instead of D rings
- Standard khaki cotton twill lining

Quick observations:

- The color and wax finish really stands out. I love it.
- The best smelling leather I've ever encountered. If they sold this as a cologne, I would buy it. It is quite potent now--my shirts smell like leather even after wearing the jacket. The Shinki smell rumors are true :) I feel like this alone is worth the upgrade to Shinki!
- The stitching has a "hand sewn" appearance, similar to the "european style" of stitching (for example in Hermes leather). It's machine sewn with cotton thread, but the Himel uses a needle that makes a 45 degree cut like this: /, giving an angled stitch. It's a nice little detail only the wearer would really notice. Looks about 9-10 stitches per inch, small stitches which work well with this weight of leather.
- Very comfortable out of the box. Pretty much no break in time, but will continue to crease and develop character if the first few days are any indication. Speaking of out of the box--it was folded quite compactly into a little cube, and had some heavy folds initially. But they relaxed very quickly--nothing permanent.
- The leather in this color & finish does water spot very easily. I've gotten a few drops of tap water on the cuff when washing my hands. The spots quickly created a wet spot (rather than stay on the surface or roll off). After drying, some spot remains. Just the nature of this type of aniline leather--it appears to have a minimal top coat. Only noticeable on really close inspection--by me. I know how to get water spots out, but I won't baby this coat.
- I imagine this leather will darken/patina over time in the sun and because of water. I get a lot of fog where I live, so there will be days where lots of micro droplets of water will darken the leather. I'm fine with that. I would not wear this in the rain though.
- Inside pockets are huge and functional. I can probably fit decent sized notebook pads in them.
- The brass zippers say "Universal" on the front. This was the original name of the Talon Zipper Company. The back of the zipper says YKK :) So definitely a replica zipper. I really like the zipper because it works very smoothly and doesn't get stuck, unlike an original vintage zipper.
- One odd thing I can't figure a good solution to: when I'm in a car, I just can't sit back comfortably without feeling the leather in the back seam area ball up and fold. If feels like I'm sitting against a hackey sack, and I can do nothing to smooth it out. It's because the bottom of the jacket pushes up when I sit, the yoke stays down on my shoulders, so that back seam pushes up and out. When I get out of the car, that back seam is pushed out like a little horn coming out of my back. It can smooth it away easily with my hand though. Just a bit annoying and can't quite get comfortable in a car.

Overall--I LOVE this jacket and think it's well worth the premium pricing. I will definitely be buying more Himel jackets in Shinki HH. (Perhaps another Frobisher, or a Canuck, or a Kensington Racer....)

Shinki Frobisher Med Brown Oil Tan Fit - 3.jpg Shinki Frobisher Med Brown Oil Tan Fit - 5.jpg Shinki Frobisher Med Brown Oil Tan Fit - 7.jpg Shinki Frobisher Med Brown Oil Tan Fit - 4.jpg Shinki Frobisher Med Brown Oil Tan Fit - 1.jpg Shinki Frobisher Med Brown Oil Tan Fit - 8.jpg

tblay

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the thorough review! Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Sadly, I have no solutions for you with the frustration in the car. Other than that, it sounds like you've got yourself a lifer. Congrats!

The jacket looks really, really nice, especially when worn...I first thought the pocket looked entirely too high but seeing it on you minimizes that for me...the fit couldn't be better...I'd be curious as to how the hide handles the elements and ages/weathers/patinas against it. Part of my love for CXL is it's bullet proof nature...I can sweat shoveling snow, get caught in a deluge of rain...you name it, and the jacket only softens... There are no residule effects from weather. If you do put it's through it's proper paces please update the thread with those observations! Gorgeous color too BTW.

Well Done!
Yep, that Shinki smell....mmmmm.
Is tha "ball" from the back vent? I don't actually wear my leathers in the car, but I'm in LA.
Chest zipp looks great, and I think the leather facings make it more elegant.
Beautiful jacket!

singer

Familiar Face
If you do put it's through it's proper paces please update the thread with those observations! Gorgeous color too BTW.

Will do!

Well Done!
Yep, that Shinki smell....mmmmm.
Is tha "ball" from the back vent? I don't actually wear my leathers in the car, but I'm in LA.
Chest zipp looks great, and I think the leather facings make it more elegant.
Beautiful jacket!

Thanks! Yes, I think it's from the back vent when I sit down in a car. Since there are folds there, it is where the leather buckles when the seat pushes up the jacket. The place of least resistance. The Vent opens up and the 2 sides push up, trying to go past the yoke.

If the body length were a lot shorter, or if the the back didn't have a center vent, it would happen less. But then there would be other tradeoffs.

There probably doesn't need to be a center vent at all--it doesn't really add much to mobility (mobility is great and I think would be still good w/o the vent). But I love how it looks!

Probably the best solution is to stop taking Ubers every day :)

singer

Familiar Face
After a few months of wear, up to a couple times per week, some pics showing a little bit of evolution on my medium brown Shinki Frobisher:

Frobisher Evo - 4.jpg

Frobisher Evo - 3.jpg

Frobisher Evo - 6.jpg Frobisher Evo - 7.jpg Frobisher Evo - 8.jpg

Took the pics in overcast light after a lovely walk. Typical fog rolling in and out--jacket saw some fine mist and droplets, which only seems to help :)

Frobisher Evo - 1.jpg

Attachments

• Frobisher Evo - 5.jpg
    Frobisher Evo - 5.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 1,511

Jrolfe

A-List Customer
Amazing jackets! David does incredible work! The fit is spot on & jumping jacks look quite achievable. The Shinki never disappoints. Owning a Himel Bros jacket is on my wish list for sure. I'd part with almost all my jackets to get one like your guys. I'm currently eyeing one of David's jackets called the Northlander. A thing of beauty!
IMG_6535.jpg

Sree

New in Town
I’m wondering how that northlander would look with brass zippers and hand warmer pockets behind those front pockets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points