Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Kensington Shinki

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Good question. Have not tried.
Can you post a photo of what that looks like on a J100 ?

J5Y2psY.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I never thought that type of collar could be worn like that.. I like it.

I didn't know it was done either untill i saw "Gimme Danger" a couple years ago, there is an interview of Iggi where he wears a cafe racer with the folded collar like that.
Straight away i tried it, and to me it is more comfortable, i think a Cafe Racer collar is a pain especialy with a beard, it is always in the way. Not so when you fold it...

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
I didn't know it was done either untill i saw "Gimme Danger" a couple years ago, there is an interview of Iggi where he wears a cafe racer with the folded collar like that.
Straight away i tried it, and to me it is more comfortable, i think a Cafe Racer collar is a pain especialy with a beard, it is always in the way. Not so when you fold it...
One of the best looking J100 repros ever. Accuracy speaks, perfect!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m going to counterpoint. . . . I don’t like the fact that there is two chest pockets. Those are more or less useless

While I agree that the two chest pockets are useless and primarily (if not entirely) an aesthetic feature, I personally love the look of two chest pockets on a cafe racer. In fact, I find the absence of two chest pockets on a cafe racer discordant. IMHO, there are certain elements that define a cafe racer, and two chest pockets is one of them, along with a mandarin collar, zip cuffs, etc.

I’m going to counterpoint. . . . I think handwarmer type pockets would add something to the front view. I get that those might not be vintage mc specific, but they are practical and unarguably there are better jackets for on the bike.

While I agree that hand warmer pockets are undeniably more practical, and I love hand warmer pockets on all other jackets, I personally find hand warmer pockets discordant on a cafe racer. For me, there is a disconnect between a cafe racer and hand warmer pockets. Moreover, two hand warmer pockets combined with two chest pockets can be busy. IMHO, a cafe racer looks best with clean lines and clean front panels below the chest pockets.

I’m going to counterpoint. . . . The length of the pulls on the sleeves would drive me nuts in 60 seconds.

Easily remedied by trimming the pulls. If I can do it, anyone can.

I’m going to counterpoint. . . . Lastly, black lining black jacket just seems... dull.

Early on, I spec'd a few jackets with interesting, patterned liners. I have come to dislike most of those liners. Currently, I much prefer solid, boring liners.

Stating the obvious, these are all matters of personal preference. The Kensington checks all the right boxes for me.

sweetfights

While I agree that the two chest pockets are useless and primarily (if not entirely) an aesthetic feature, I personally love the look of two chest pockets on a cafe racer. In fact, I find the absence of two chest pockets on a cafe racer discordant. IMHO, there are certain elements that define a cafe racer, and two chest pockets is one of them, along with a mandarin collar, zip cuffs, etc.

While I agree that hand warmer pockets are undeniably more practical, and I love hand warmer pockets on all other jackets, I personally find hand warmer pockets discordant on a cafe racer. For me, there is a disconnect between a cafe racer and hand warmer pockets. Moreover, two hand warmer pockets combined with two chest pockets can be busy. IMHO, a cafe racer looks best with clean lines and clean front panels below the chest pockets.

Easily remedied by trimming the pulls. If I can do it, anyone can.

Early on, I spec'd a few jackets with interesting, patterned liners. I have come to dislike most of those liners. Currently, I much prefer solid, boring liners.

Stating the obvious, these are all matters of personal preference. The Kensington checks all the right boxes for me.

And may I add- just to cover my bases, perhaps a Himel Brimaco is in order next. IMG_5914.JPG IMG_5915.JPG

sweetfights

Himel Kensington Shinki

Oil Tanned Shinki.
Short turnover time from order.
Superb Shinki leather, texture, smell and hand.
Extremely comfortable fit.
Dave Himel was fantastic to meet and communicate with.
I tried on a fit jacket, discussed details and Dave took photos so he could fine tune the fit.
The photos do not do this jacket justice.
Apologies for the photos taken at work- Looks amazing in natural light.

View attachment 203048 View attachment 203049 View attachment 203050 View attachment 203051 View attachment 203052 View attachment 203053 View attachment 203054 View attachment 203055 View attachment 203056 View attachment 203057

The lighting does not do justice to the blackness of this Shinki leather.

Reactions: jeo
And may I add- just to cover my bases, perhaps a Himel Brimaco is in order next. View attachment 203135 View attachment 203137
IMHO that Brimaco repro is his very best. I really love the originals. Hard to find in a bigger size and almost always trashed. Plus the originals were of very dubious quality. Stitching just vanished. Especially the arms/forearms in particular.

sweetfights

I’m going to counterpoint. It’s not my favorite jacket for you that you’ve posted. I’ll concede that out of the box jackets are hard to get a good read on and I may like it once it breaks in. I agree the leather looks splendid and I’m sure the construction is top notch. I just don’t care for the pattern on you. The front dip looks too long (I know those are sort of high waisted pants) in picture #10. I don’t like the fact that there is two chest pockets. Those are more or less useless so I prefer asymetrically one. I think handwarmer type pockets would add something to the front view. I get that those might not be vintage mc specific, but they are practical and unarguably there are better jackets for on the bike. I don’t care for the way the collar merges and prefer a tab on one side. The length of the pulls on the sleeves would drive me nuts in 60 seconds. I immediately went to Racer Xs photo to see if she shortened hers. She didnt. Maybe it’s just me. Lastly, black lining black jacket just seems... dull. Strangely, I’ve not had all these gripes when looking at superfluous posts so maybe it is a matter of lighting and newness. Anyhow, not to piss in your Cheerios first thing on 1/1 but I know your not sensitive. See ya at the big one.

higher than normal waist from work uniform pants.

jeo

One Too Many
The aroma is something else from this Shinki Dave has.

His Shinki leather is on another planet! The aroma, the look, the feel. It’s spec-friggin-tacular!!

Congrats man! That’s an awesome jacket! Please post some more pics. It fits great, but I’m sure it’ll look way better when you aren’t in your business clothes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That is one beautiful jacket! Fit looks good, though I agree it looks a little long. However, I think that is part of the design. The leather is stunning and I love the pointlessly beautiful details!

Yep, I agree with this 100%. The two (angled) chest pockets and sleeve zips are the most iconic style for the cafe racer. CR's with just the hand-warmers significantly cheapen the look - or at least I see it that way. All four pockets do take away from the sleekness of the style though I personally think that such setup has its charms. But just the hand-warmers are... Meh.

One chest pocket CR is also super cool, as on the Harley Davidson Sportster.

And may I add- just to cover my bases, perhaps a Himel Brimaco is in order next. View attachment 203135 View attachment 203137

Give original Brimaco a chance first. While the real J-100 can scarcely be found, there's a lot of Brimaco's floating around at all times and some are made in the kind of leather that's absolutely spectacular. One I had was outweighing Vanson's comp. weight leather and had spectacular grain and texture.

Pkshfo74036

Familiar Face
So I'm in Switzerland, Zurich right now and there's an awesome store called DeeCee Style that stocks every brand from Belstaff to Areo, Thedi, Real McCoy's, Tenjin works and even Himel.

I bought this Himel Bros Cafe Racer from them, the price was really good, the store owner said it was a custom order.

I'm wondering if this looks like Shinki leather on my jacket? It's just that I paid a really good price for this and I'm thinking it has to be a chrome tanned leather in that case. Also what do you guys think of the design?
Screenshot_20200102_000210.jpg
Screenshot_20200102_000214.jpg
Screenshot_20200102_000217.jpg
Screenshot_20200102_000233.jpg
Screenshot_20200102_000906.jpg

mmexport1577868074881.jpg

sweetfights

So I'm in Switzerland, Zurich right now and there's an awesome store called DeeCee Style that stocks every brand from Belstaff to Areo, Thedi, Real McCoy's, Tenjin works and even Himel.

I bought this Himel Bros Cafe Racer from them, the price was really good, the store owner said it was a custom order.

I'm wondering if this looks like Shinki leather on my jacket? It's just that I paid a really good price for this and I'm thinking it has to be a chrome tanned leather in that case. Also what do you guys think of the design? View attachment 203182 View attachment 203183 View attachment 203184 View attachment 203185 View attachment 203186
View attachment 203181

That looks like a Himel Pinecrest.
Please take a photo of the rear- does it have gussets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana