Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel website updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
With all the price increases to current levels (everyone just seems to think they can charge 'Japan' prices) it's difficult to see where this is going. I can't imagine that vintage enthusiasts are going to buy jackets at the rate they did considering what else they could spend their money on. Maybe people will buy fewer jackets.
Maybe a little trade war could be just the ticket to take the wind out of the market's sails and introduce a little reality to the sector. Maybe the collapse of the JPY could disillusion people that there's a market of potential Japanese customers out there if only you can price yourself into making them believe you are just as 'good' as RMC or whatever.
It feels like a bubble in the market fueled by hype.
And most rational actors are standing back and saying 'at those prices?!?'

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
With all the price increases to current levels (everyone just seems to think they can charge 'Japan' prices) it's difficult to see where this is going. I can't imagine that vintage enthusiasts are going to buy jackets at the rate they did considering what else they could spend their money on. Maybe people will buy fewer jackets.
Maybe a little trade war could be just the ticket to take the wind out of the market's sails and introduce a little reality to the sector. Maybe the collapse of the JPY could disillusion people that there's a market of potential Japanese customers out there if only you can price yourself into making them believe you are just as 'good' as RMC or whatever.

Possibly. Should be a good time to be selling used jackets, if so.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I could pay two grand for a jacket, since I've easily spent that or more on BR nylon in the last year, but I regard paying that for one jacket as obscene.

I can't help but wonder if stupid jacket pricing is symptomatic of a wider social movement.
After WWII, the greatest generation came home, and since they were literally millions of combat hardened veterans who could overthrow the system, they were provided with unprecedented support in terms of housing, education, welfare and stable employment to compensate them for their sacrifices and keep them satisfied (in the U.K. there was free university education and the NHS, and Japan had limitless consumerism). This led to generally pretty high standards of living for most, and the creation of a huge middle-class. It was a reasonable expectation that with such a leg-up, your kids would do better than you did.
I think that's almost all gone now, and it's no coincidence that it's happened as the greatest generation passes away. My kids are growing up in a world of zero-hours minimum wage jobs for graduates.
When I arrived in Japan almost 20 years ago, the Japanese repeated 'we Japanese are all middle-class' like a mantra, and they believed it. I haven't heard that for at least 10 years now. I read in the news a few weeks back that Rolls Royce had record sales in Japan. Same news, Japan has record numbers of households on welfare. And I think this is a pattern in most developed nations. The dismantling of the middle class, and the polarization of society into haves and have-nots.
This isn't to say that we're retuning to feudal barons and serfs, but I think that with the passing of the generation that fought the war, their social rewards are being rolled-back, and the global pendulum is swinging back towards 1930's societal models; the rich, and workers with little security living a precarious existence in a degree of denial fueled by credit.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here

And by implication, those who continue to pay Himel/RMC prices — me included — are irrational. Thank you. I will not attempt to defend or rationalize my jacket purchases. Truth be told, I presently have no interest in rationality when it comes to leather jackets (and various other products that I favor). I am unwilling to make the compromises necessary to achieve rationality. Thus, for the time being, I remain a prisoner of my irrational delusions, including the outrageous notion that some manufacturers produce a better quality product than others, and certain of the better quality products are more expensive than lessor quality alternatives. Where is my glass of Kool-Aid?

At the end of the day, I buy the products that put the biggest smile on my face, without bankrupting me in the process. I certainly don’t “need” premium leather jackets that incorporate artisan craftsmanship. That said, I enjoy wearing these jackets — much more so than other jackets. Is this rational? I don’t know, but it works for me. It’s all about the smile on my face.

Superfluous

I could pay two grand for a jacket, since I've easily spent that or more on BR nylon in the last year, but I regard paying that for one jacket as obscene.

Says the man who proudly boasts that he owns both a Rolls Royce and a Jaguar (https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lewis-leathers-logo.93769/page-3#post-2421489).

To be clear, I am not criticizing your car purchases — both are fine cars. Rather, I am merely pointing out that the relative “obscenity” of product pricing is profoundly subjective. I suspect many (not me) would consider the prices of your cars obscene. Thus, we should not be too critical of those with different opinions regarding pricing.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Superfluous, I don't want to make this about anyone individual. But you have publicly spoken on the FL before about your addiction to all manner of things, and how that drives to to seek 'superfluous' levels of performance in cars, self-gratification in alcohol, and whatever. So in light of that, I feel that it may well be the price and the hype that attract you to defend Himel, RMC, and GW, and you are always quickly offended and quick to defend any criticism of their price points. I genuinely feel that the nature of your self-confessed 'condition' drives you to attempt to rationalize the cost, even to the point where you lay out straw men arguments ('who is anyone to tell me what I should like' kind of thing) even before any such comments have been made.
Now, I've got zero intention of staging an 'intervention' for the benefit of your health, but let's not mislead casual readers who aren't aware of your (bravely) self-confessed issues with addiction.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
As for the cars, yeah they've been off the road since I bought them because every time I have a few grand to spend on them, I feel guilty and put it in my kids college/wedding funds. Because the cars are just messing around toys to me, my kids are really important.

Superfluous

Superfluous, I don't want to make this about anyone individual. But you have publicly spoken on the FL before about your addiction to all manner of things, and how that drives to to seek 'superfluous' levels of performance in cars, self-gratification in alcohol, and whatever. So in light of that, I feel that it may well be the price and the hype that attract you to defend Himel, RMC, and GW, and you are always quickly offended and quick to defend any criticism of their price points. I genuinely feel that the nature of your self-confessed 'condition' drives you to attempt to rationalize the cost, even to the point where you lay out straw men arguments ('who is anyone to tell me what I should like' kind of thing) even before any such comments have been made.
Now, I've got zero intention of staging an 'intervention' for the benefit of your health, but let's not mislead casual readers who aren't aware of your (bravely) self-confessed issues with addiction.

Thank you for the psuedo-psychology. Why would you assume that, because I am an acknowledged addict, I therefore am motivated by hype and price rather than quality. My addiction is equally likely to be motivated by quality. Your supposition is a non-sequitur. Moreover, I am unaware of any meaningful hype associated with Himel jackets. To the contrary, it is an escoteric, niche brand unknown to the overwhelming majority of people. When I purchased my first Himel, I only knew one person who owned a Himel (and I loved his jacket). Hype had nothing to do with it. If I was motivated by hype, I would patronize hyped brands.

This discussion has veered in a direction that is bordering on hostile. I am probably to blame and apologize. I will cease addressing you, personally, and request that you do the same. Thank you.

zebedee

One Too Many
The fleeting, artificially-induced flow of dopamine. Cars, jackets. Gambling for that feeling the split second before you lose. The flaws in the system.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
At the end of the day, I buy the products that put the biggest smile on my face, without bankrupting me in the process. I certainly don’t “need” premium leather jackets that incorporate artisan craftsmanship. That said, I enjoy wearing these jackets — much more so than other jackets. Is this rational? I don’t know, but it works for me. It’s all about the smile on my face.

I think that's perfectly reasonable, Supe. No one should tell others how to live. When I made my comments about the brand earlier I was responding subjectively about how luxury goods like this feel to me and my response is no more rational than yours. Perhaps if the Himels made me smile, I'd own 4 or 5 myself. I sometimes consider myself lucky that I was born a connoisseur of the second rate; it makes being thrifty a lot less complicated.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The only thing I really liked was the post bag, it appears to be an updated version of Jacques Tati's postman's bag from Jour de Fete, but! After viewing the rear facings there are far to many studs for the bag to look attractive in my opinion. Even the price is not that outrageous.
The jackets on the other hand, only the A1 looks fine but not on my figure these days. Definitely a young/slimmer persons fit.
I can only look at these prices and think maybe the maker is aiming at a higher end and clientele?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
There's nothing wrong with that Sloan. I'm not rich by any means. I got my cars for the price of the truck to load them onto and take them away. I dream of cruising in the Jag and driving my daughters to their weddings in the Rolls, but it's just a dream for now. If I didn't have the option to store them in the corner of one of my wife's factories, I would never have been able to get them. It's not like I can afford to go out and buy a new RR.

Justhandguns

Practically Family

I agree with the 'Japanese pricing' theory, lots of UK/US makers are jumping onto the Japanese pricing bracket. This may be down to the many crossovers that they are doing with trade shows organised by publishers such as Men's File and Clutch.

To be fair to Himel, they had already placed themselves at the top tier even when they first started. And I think it is also unfair to place Goodwear into the same category as John works more like a Japanese craftsman than a business, he does not even need to promote himself to get enough businesses! A special mention should be given to Lewis, as I am sure they can easily double their prices without losing too much businesses, especially with their heritages/made to measure as well as their 'hipster' status.

This has become an interesting thread, yet again..... I think the bubble is not going to bust in no time, but I hope that more quality new makers will appear to give the old boys some competitions.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
To bring this back to the new Himel website and his prices...have they increased (as implied in some posts)? They appear to be the same prices as last year.

For the record, I would buy a Canuck in Shinki if I could swing it. I was lucky enough to pick up a tweed/leather Canuck a while back. Beautiful jacket!

Edward

Bartender
I've been saying for a long time that this market is simply over-saturated, but yes, it is possible that if the prices keep going up we'll see new, mid-level players emerge as popular, particularly if the market becomes open to "second world" manufacture.

I have a used Audi A-3 and live in a tenement flat in one of the funkier parts of Glasgow - it's not quite Night of the Living Dead territory, but it has its moments. I'm not sure I qualify for this forum any more.

Ha, me neither. I don't have a car at all, and I live on the second cheapest square in the monopoly board! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy