Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hindenburg beauty

mikepara

Practically Family
Look what I saw today! I don't own it and probably cannot afford it but I'd love it. A toy? Not anymore, but a very beautiful and expensive ornament.
Hope you don't mind me sharing. Does anything scream golden age any loader than this?

Very rare original tinplate clockwork "Hindenburg" Airship 1930's. On the side of the airship it has the registration number: D-LZ 129, and on one of the tail fins, it is embossed with "Germany" (presumed made in Germany). Comes in original cardboard box which has some wear and tear to it. The airship itself is in good condition for its age. The clockwork mechanism is still in working order, complete with original wind-up key. Once the mechanism has been wound up, this works the clear plastic propellers at the back of the airship, which when suspended from the ceiling on a hook and string (also supplied, but not sure if it is the original string) would rotate the airship in a circular motion. Overall length of airship is 11"

hindenburgtin.jpg

hindenburgtincu.jpg

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Oh my, what a beauty! I want to be rich, so I can have a repro build of that one as a birthday present for my man . Or one of this coctail shakers shaped as a zeppelin. I have no pics now, but there are some wonderful, and expencive ones, out there! Yes, we are a zeppeliner loving couple.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My brother went to a Halloween party once as the Hindenburg. He had a big long balloon which he covered with paper mache. Then he added paper fins, cut out a neck hole, and painted it with silver model airplane dope. Then he stuck it on his head. Unfortunately he didn't give it enough time to dry, so about halfway through the party he passed out. Oh, the humanity!
BTW, did you note that there are no swastikas on the tail fin? Must have been created by the company that built it, and been issued at the time the airship was launched, probably as publicity, just as Boeing does today.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
My brother went to a Halloween party once as the Hindenburg. He had a big long balloon which he covered with paper mache. Then he added paper fins, cut out a neck hole, and painted it with silver model airplane dope. Then he stuck it on his head. Unfortunately he didn't give it enough time to dry, so about halfway through the party he passed out. Oh, the humanity!

So what you're saying is, he passed out and the Hindenburg yet again crashed to the ground in a crumpled heap... :eusa_clap I love it!

Addendum - As my partner just added as I was showing him the picture and relating your story- "It just proves the point that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

mikepara

Practically Family
By the by

If anyone wants one, this sold for £501. So start saving cos his wife will kill him when she finds out, and it'll be back on a much used auction site! :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
So what you're saying is, he passed out and the Hindenburg yet again crashed to the ground in a crumpled heap... :eusa_clap I love it!
With ingenuity one could rig up lights, a small fan, and a wad of red and orange paper streamers inside the "envelope" - then, comes time to crash, you surreptitiously turn on the lights and fan, the envelope breaks open and the streamers burst into "flame". lol

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Hindenburg

Hilarious anecdotes but seriously does everyone remember as a child seeing the exploding Hindenburg in the sepia doco shorts? I remember being shocked at the whole conflagration.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
mikepara said:
If anyone wants one, this sold for £501. So start saving cos his wife will kill him when she finds out, and it'll be back on a much used auction site! :)
I wouldn't be surprised if it's worth every penny. It's a very nice item, and he has the box!

Elaina

One Too Many
This is REALLY old, but I was talking to a friend of mine about the Hindenburg crash and my son informed us all he had seen it. Long story short, he saw a colorized version (this one is part of it according to him) and had never seen the original, with the "humanity" line.

My question is this: Is there more of an impact in color or in black and white, or do you see a difference?

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Elaina said:
This is REALLY old, but I was talking to a friend of mine about the Hindenburg crash and my son informed us all he had seen it. Long story short, he saw a colorized version (this one is part of it according to him) and had never seen the original, with the "humanity" line.

My question is this: Is there more of an impact in color or in black and white, or do you see a difference?

The yellow colour added to the actual fire scenes adds visual impact for me, most of the rest of the scenes look badly tinted and I'd rather see the B&W.

I'd say there's simply more of an impact to the original B&W clip primarily because radio announcer Herbert Morrison's description of the disaster is included as the audio track. You can hear his voice crumble as the reality of what he's witnessing sets in, much more of a real human response than many of today's actor/newscasters can deliver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner