Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historic Keeneland Raceway Hat 7 1/4

warbird

One Too Many
I am reluctantly selling this hat, but I just need to unload as much stuff as possible for my move.

This Keeneland hat was made for Keeneland Raceway, the famed horse track and thoroughbred auction house. It was likely made sometime in the late 30's or early 40's and made more than likely as a gift for VIP's or board members, something similar. I took the hat up to Keeneland and they were quite enthralled by the hat, but said their items are usually donated. I am not really in a position to donate stuff as I can use the additional cash for moving expenses. The hat was distributed through a hat shop owner in Jackson Tennessee who apparently handled the manufacturing as a middle man. I don't know exactly how that all happened. I acquired the hat from a gentleman who had some connection to the raceway and the hat shop owner.

The hat has a Keeneland Raceway logo in the top of the liner and on the sweat. It is in excellent condition and has a beautiful and unique binding and ribbon treatment. Color is medium brown. The felt is wonderfully soft. Keeneland said they know of many such items that were made for Keeneland through the years, but have never seen another example of this hat still in existence.

Since the hat is too big for me it serves no purpose other than for a good story. I don't have the space for such a luxury, so I am selling it.

Price does not include shipping.

$500.

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3913.jpg

warbird

One Too Many
Thanks Rick. I would rather sell this hat than trade. If someone is interested by all means contact me. If I traded it, it would have to be for something I just didn't think I could live without. I might trade it for a VS if it was just a style like I wanted. But I am a 7 LO, 7 1/8, not a 7 1/4 like this hat is.

warbird

One Too Many
Well it looks like this hat may be sold. Will update if it isn't. Keeneland decided they want the hat and I am inclined to give them a good deal to let this hat go back to the place where it all started. Even though it means it probably won't ever be worn to be enjoyed I think it would be fun to go to the museum and see my hat there, knowing I played some small part in Keeneland history.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Wow! Beautiful hat! Well, if it was a 7 3/8 and had the extra cash I think I would buy it! Sure is rare. I think you should just keep it, even though you don't wear it. When are you going to come across another one? And in that condition?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy