Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hmm do you think Brooks Bros. is regretting the Thom Browne fiasco???

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
fiasco?

WH1 said:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...erchant_Id=1&Section_Id=720&viewAll=t&sortBy=

Based on these prices they are losing quite a bit on his "designs". For gods sake a madras morning coat, what a mess.

I believe those are CLEARANCE sales of remainders of past seasons. A lot of those pieces are being blown out with few sizes available. Most are only available ONLINE, not thru any BB store.
As far as I know, theyre happy with Browne's contract & did renew it at some point.

I dont love the styling ofthe Black Fleece models, but in person on someone of average height, the suits fit beautifully. And the garments are beautifully made. They jsut dont have much seam allowance to let anything out.

But as far as Ive seen in NYC, sales of Black Fleece were successful. And now it seems like every other company sells some kind of similar slimcut narrowlapel suit. At least with Black Fleece the trouser's rise is about 11 inches, which is far better than most other modern suits which all seem to be lowrise.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
If you can get past the louder pieces, the Black Fleece suits are often classic & beautiful. Like this glen plaid check
46AK_GREY

or this classic ivory dinner jacket
http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/BrooksBrothers/55AM_IVORY?

And BTW, with all the economic bedlam in the last few years, its not like there are tons of bankers & wall streeters lining up to pick up Brooks Brother suits. So Brooks Brothers is having sales like every other company.

I hear that MadMen limited edition suit for BB sold well. I was wondering if that was an 'audition' to have Janie Bryant take over at Black Fleece.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'd go as far as saying that they [ties] are the least offensive items on the page. I've definitely seen better, and worse. [huh]

The suits are okay, but something just feels a bit off looking at them, especially the DB's. [huh]

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
What the hell kind of sizes are those?

There isn't even anywhere to click to explain them.

What outstanding salesmanship. I guess the appeal is elite and couture - if you're not built like a runway prettyboy, you are not Their Customer.

CLICK the SIZE GUIDE tab next to the OVERVIEW tab on any suit page.

BB4= 44, BB5 =46.

Ive worn the BB2, a slim 40.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I have mixed feelings on BB. On the one hand, they're the best quality that my budget affords, most of their items are quite conservative, and they usually make very good looking things. On the other hand, they make this. And charge more than Ed Hardy (*shudders*) for it.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
I have mixed feelings on BB. On the one hand, they're the best quality that my budget affords, most of their items are quite conservative, and they usually make very good looking things. On the other hand, they make this. And charge more than Ed Hardy (*shudders*) for it.

Its just a ploy to expand their demographic toward a younger arty crowd.

When Black Fleece first hit the racks, Rover took me over to Madison Ave to check them out. Had to say I was impressed with the quality BUT the suits were going for $2700.
That seems steep for OTR.
The world economy has shrunk the price of these suits & put the sales prices at 75% off. Ive been very happy with the various Brooks Bros items that have been on sale. And the service on Madison Ave was generally exemplary.

WH1

Practically Family
Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Brooks Brothers and was very, very impressed with the service and atmosphere of the Madison avenue store. I have purchased numerous items from them over the years and will continue to do so. However the Black Fleece line is overpriced and gimmicky in too many cases. As Mr. Bern points out $2700 for OTR is ridiculous.
One of the things about BB that has always appealed to me is the timeless substance of their clothing, it generally will translate over the decades. I can't help but feel that Brown is taking them in a wrong direction which will sadly hurt the company in the long run.

Edward

Bartender
I've seen a lot of nice stuff on the BB website over the years, but thed pricingb is very definitiely in the "not for the likes of you!" category. I'm minded to go for custom repros of actual vintage patterns where off the rack is as much (or more) again... I do like the looks of some of the knitwear on that page, though even at clearance prices it's far beyond what I would consider spending.

At $20 I'd definitely buy the madras morning coat, as I'm sure at some time I will want a clown costume. Or there's always the slim possibility I could befriend a Premiership soccer player and be invited to their wedding.

Charlie74

Familiar Face
Not only is that jacket, beyond hideous, if you look at what the model is wearing, the jackets are much too short. No one will look good in these unless you have the same proportions as the model.

I do not blame retailers who charge ridiculous prices, I blame the customer who pays the price. Obviously no one is buying the jacket so the price is down. Not a bargain at any price, though

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
Love it

Actually, I'ld wear most everything on that page. I think it is smart, very clever fashion. Most designers push the envelope, and Thomas Brown is no different. As for pricing, they are designer prices. I charge more for custom.

Brooks Brothers offers many traditional items, the fact that they are trying to open up to a newer/younger customer is actually quite a novel and smart idea. Most brands forget that their customer base is aging, not dressing the same anymore and eventually dying off. Brooks is trying to capture the attention of the younger customer, and eventually bring them into the fold as they age. That is how you get to be a century old company.

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
Black Fleece & Milano leave little room for 1818s

I was at the Madison Ave. BB store yesterday and their selection of 1818 and Golden Fleece suits is pretty limited. The reason is that now they have a Milano section and a Black Fleece section, leaving much less room everything else. I spent most of my time looking at suits in fabrics that weren't available in my size, and still not finding a lot of the fabrics that are featured on their web sight. This is not a step in the right direction.

Tony

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Did anybody notice that the guy is wearing cuffed seersucker trousers with the Madras cutaway coat?
Actually, I think that very conservative plaid is almost cool. But not quite, But close.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Mahagonny Bill said:
Wow, even the models look embarrassed.

He did a runway show a few years back with 3 legged trousers, which required two guys to wear. The reviewer of the show from GQ said they looked terribly embarrassed and were trying hard not to laugh about it...

I paid a visit to his boutique when I was in NYC. Only 4 small rails of clothing that totaled up about $100,000 worth of kit (each suit runs about $5,000). The doors were locked but my, what a lovely homage to a minimal 1940s/50s office.

To be fair, his early stuff was rather good. Extreme cuts meant for the under 35s, and damn you had to be trendy to wear it... but the materials were rather nice, and the time was right for it. That was 5 years ago though. You may be surprised (or not) to find that he got his start working as a salesperson for Club Monaco, and had their tailor cut his first suits. Of course the tailor nearly refused to do it, but he made them anyway.

The 3 leg suit:

24.jpg

A circa 2005 suit. Oddly enough, he never wears the crazy stuff himself. I did get a chance to see him slip out the side door of his boutique, which was cool for me when I was 19. Most of the folks on this forum will hit a sour note with his clothes, but to be honest, I like that!
120318-thom_browne_s_shrunken_suit_aesthetic_is.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Atinkerer said:
I was at the Madison Ave. BB store yesterday and their selection of 1818 and Golden Fleece suits is pretty limited. The reason is that now they have a Milano section and a Black Fleece section, leaving much less room everything else. I spent most of my time looking at suits in fabrics that weren't available in my size, and still not finding a lot of the fabrics that are featured on their web sight. This is not a step in the right direction.

Tony

If you are anything over a 38, I doubt you'll find your size in Thom Browne. lol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Atinkerer said:

Tony

Theres a Black Fleece store down on Bleecker St, but its very small.

As for the Madison Ave store, they have a lot of Black Fleece, but generally only the curent season, not the closeout items on the website. But they will order it for you to make sure you get the proper sizing.
Always ask, they keep things in the back.
I recently had the misfortune that my salesman was transferred before my order arrived from the Friends&Family sale. And somehow the order was lost & it took days to track down the suit & all I got was a phonecall with a big 'sorry...cant find it' from a different salesperson.

Its annoying so Ive gone to ebay for better service.

If you look on ebay, there are occasionally Black Fleece & Thom Browne items for sale at very reasonable prices.

I got this pair of unworn, unhemmed Black Fleece pants on Ebay a week or two ago. The original BB price is $500, I got them for a quarter of that.
5-7-845.jpg

No, I wont be tailoring them to show off my shins.... ;)

WH1

Practically Family
If you have them tailored to show your shins they would look dandy with your shawl collared madras morning coat, flourescent orange top hat and big red shoes!lol ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80