Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holding up Shirt Sleeves

Destinys Agent

Familiar Face
Hi Guys,

I have a perpetual problem. When I buy myself the correct collar/chest size of shirt, the arms are always too long. I am aware that there is a device for wearing over the sleeves to keep them up. I believe they are called shirt garters? Coincedently, I am watching an episode of (Agatha Christie's) Poirot right now and the character, Hastings, is wearing the very thing. They are metal. I have done a quick search but all I have found seem to be cloth/elastic with metal catches. The ones in the programme are metal. Any idea where to get some of these metal short garters here in the UK?

nihil

One of the Regulars
My problem is always the other war around. The sleeves are too short, except on extra-extra-long and bespoke shirts. I like sleeve garters, but don't have any occasion to wear them. Oh well.
I believe you also can find them reasonably priced on the bay.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My problem is always the other war around. The sleeves are too short, except on extra-extra-long and bespoke shirts. I like sleeve garters, but don't have any occasion to wear them. Oh well.
I believe you also can find them reasonably priced on the bay.

I wear sleeve-garters to hold back extra fabric if the shirt is too long (their original purpose), or to hold back the entire sleeve if I'm doing dirty work (their adapted purpose).

But there's no reason why you can't just wear them for decoration.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I believe that St. George brand are the best, although I must admit I am not terribly keen on them as I find them uncomfortable after a while (not that I tend to dress for comfort...) One can also get cloth covered sleeve garters, and I slightly prefer them. My own pair is in a tasteful yellow and black pattern which makes me look as though I have two small venomous snakes curled around my biceps. An attractive look as I'm sure you would agree!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn