Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holiday Recipes

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I am looking for some ideas for christmas dinner. But want them to be original recipes from anywhere between 1880 and 1930. I already have one for a traditional german stollen that was translated from an old text by a friend of mine. Someone also suggested a christmas goose. Another friend in Scotland is looking up his grandma's recipe for kidney pudding with breaded oysters :eek: ... maybe I'll try it just to say I did.

Any other suggestions?

Richard

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I have a recipe for a fruit "pudding" that my grandmother used to make. It always appeared old-fashioned, anyway. What year it originated, I don't know, though it strikes me as it could be from as early as the twenties. It's basically a custard folded into whipped cream, then good ol' fruit cocktail (drained) is added. My grandma's "special ingredient" was sliced bananas on top. lol

pretty faythe

One Too Many
cranberry sauce

CRANBERRY SAUCE
Take one quart of cranberries, pick and wash carefully, put upon the fire with half a teacupful of water, let them stew until thoroughly broken up, then strain and add one pound and a quarter of sugar; put into a mould and turn out when cold.
Menu from Godey's Lady's Book, December 1890

my sis makes fresh cranberry sauce each Thanksgiving and Christmas for the past few years ever since she saw a bag of cranberries in the grocers. Cranberry sauce has always been her favorite, and fresh does taste better.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
LocktownDog said:
Another friend in Scotland is looking up his grandma's recipe for kidney pudding with breaded oysters

Why doesn't your friend try steak and kidney pudding. My Mum used to make it and it was beautiful. Steak and kidney pie is easier but not as good IMHO. Neither are to my knowledge traditional for Christmas but damn tasty.

Goose is traditional in a lot of countries for Christmas dinner although if you don't know what you are doing you can end up with a fatty mess.

Don't forget the steamed Christmas Pudd with brandy butter!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
LocktownDog said:
recipe for kidney pudding with breaded oysters :eek: ... maybe I'll try it

Warning - When you cook kidneys it smells an awful lot like urine. It can be quite unappetizing if you are not accustomed to it.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I am planning a New Years Eve-party and I would love some ideas for a traditional dinner.

We are toying with the idea of making our own version of the "Dinner for one"dinner. For those of you who are not familiar with the consept, this is a sketch shown every year in Norway at christmass time, (and many other countires,) about the old Miss Sophie, her increasingly tipsy butler and all her imaginary friends.

The food and drink mentioned is:

Mulligatawny-soup and dry sherry.
Fish, (north sea haddock) and white vine.
Chicken and champagne.
Fruit and port.

I pride myself of making a wonderfull mulligatawny-soup, so that is fine. But what about the other dishes? Does anybody have any ideas for them, preferably traditional, posh british dishes?

Any ideas for different menus are also highly appreciated. It would be fun to recreate historical dinners, so if anybody has such menus I would be thrilled!

missmelly

One of the Regulars
Bring us some Figgy Pudding...

Figgy Pudding
Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 cup molasses
2 cups dried figs (about 1 pound), stems removed, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Garnish
Whipped cream

Instructions
In an electric mixer, cream the butter until fluffy. Add the eggs and molasses and beat again. Add the figs, lemon peel, buttermilk, and walnuts and blend 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until everything is incorporated. Grease and flour and 8 by 4-inch souffle dish and pour in the batter. Bake in a 325-degree F. oven for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Spoon the pudding out onto plates or cut it into wedges. Garnish with the whipped cream.

Yield: 12 servings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner