Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Solid Citizen said:
flat top, I've dealt with this Ebay seller before he has had good stuff, however IMHO when you ask this kind of starting price there should be 0% condition issues, no smudges or "minor'" holes, no dice! Peter
He is actually a friend of mine, but that's not why I posted this!! He does ask too much usually, this time for sure..
And BK, you gotta see one in person to appreciate how cool these are!
flat-top

Wild Root

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
Sorry guys, these jackets look like someone's grandmother has patched massive holes in them with her curtains. I just can't get into them.

bk

Good! More for us! Plus, you'll just save money. You don't strike me as a Rock-A-Billy kinda guy any way. You know what these coats mean right? Well, swing dancers and party guys wore this stuff in the late 40's and early 50's. Guys who knew how to let loose and have a good time. Count me in!

That coat is WAY TOO HIGH! Heck, that dumb thing is missing the full belt! It has only the back belt but, see those buttons? Yeah, it's missing the rest that would tie in the front. Can't believe they're asking that much for a flawed item. Their dreaming!

I would like one or two of these coats in my collection. I believe in having a well rounded selection. My closet spans from late Victorian to 1955 give or take. Funny, most people I talk to think the 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s were all Poodle skirts and leather coats. I hate that! It was so much cooler!

=WR=

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Good! More for us! Plus, you'll just save money. You don't strike me as a Rock-A-Billy kinda guy any way.
=WR=

you don't strike me that way either 'root.

i started out with more of a 50's look...in my mind it was a late 40s/early 50s collegiate look and i owned (and still own) a few gabardine jackets, but i got sick of people referring to me as a rockabilly. my taste has drifted back through the decades and now i prefer 30s/40s clothes.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I'm not what you call a "Rockabilly" but, I do have a few friends who are and they're really nice and deep down they really like the late 30's and 40's more. I love all men's fashion from the 20's to the mid 50's. I prefer 30's and 40's but, I don't limit my collecting to just that. If I find a early 50's suit or gabardine jacket in my size, i pick it up if I can. I also enjoy early Rock & Roll and doowop. I'm a swing dancer and embrace the early 50's too seeing that the big shot dancers of the 30's and 40's were still Jitterbugging well into the 50's!

=WR=

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Howard Hughes, anyone?

sworn_in.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Those two tones that Howard used to wear are known as a car coat or a leisure coat. What I was told was a true Hollywood coat is the two tone gabs with the full belt that ties in the front. They called them Hollywood coats because so many of Hollywood actors wore them off and on the set. Mostly worn with a nice pair of gab pants, canvas shoes, open collar gab shirt some times with an ascot. Oh, can't forget the sunglasses!

I love that coat Wingnut, I have been looking for one in my size forever! The tie is killer as well! You have some fine taste in vintage my friend!

=WR=

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Quigley,

That is hands-down my favorite '40s tie. The gold leaves are really neat. It's a great fall & winter fashion statement. I freaked out when I spilled coffee on it one morning, took the plunge and soaked it in Oxy-Clean...it came out looking brand new.

I have '30s ties I like more, though...I have plenty of '40s prints, but for some reason, '30s brocade ties really tickle my fancy. I need to find a copper and tan '30s brocade job to match that jacket.

That's the Hollywood jacket that was used in Man, Moment, Machine's Howard Huges episode. I snapped it up after I saw pictures taken on the set. The label says 'LAKELAND - Styled in America's Playground'.

Edit: Thanks, Root! High praise, considering the source!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Let's be fair.

I have sold on ebay before and I'm telln' ya, it's not easy. Try putting something that you KNOW is worth money and start it off low. You'll watch that thing like a hawk because you don't want it to go for anything less then what you have in it or what you want out of it.

What that dealer should have done is just set it as a "Buy it now" item instead.

The prices seem outrageous to us because it's just a used coat but, they're not making them any more and they are rare and popular with many collectors so, the price is high. Anything that has style and is real fancy from those days will continue to go up in value. Try buying a real 1930's or
40's Hawaiian shirt! You'll be paying up to $700. for some! Some here pay just about that for a custom made hat! So, why is a custom made hat cost the same as a rare vintage item?

I do agree that Hollywood coat is to high to start off with seeing it isn't perfect but, there are those who don't care and will pay for it because they like it.

Happy New Year,
=WR=

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Not sure if your post was aimed at me, WR...

But, I am also an experienced eBay seller and agree that: (1) a fair buy-it-now price often leads to a sale that meets my expectations; and (2) a high opening bid also keeps the weenies away from stealing items that you know are priced reasonably.

The ONLY thing I objected to in the listing was the combination of "No Reserve!" and then a starting price of $249. The seller does in fact have a reserve price... $249. That was my point.

Happy New Year to you, too! (You're one of the reasons why I find the FL such an interesting and fun place to hang out. If my photoshop pranks seem a little juvenile, please forgive me. I'm big on harmless practical jokes, and you're SUCH a prime target for joshin'!)

Wild Root

Gone Home
No, it wasn't directly aimed at ya bud. I just wanted to make sure every one knew the reasons why it would be priced that high. I had no ill intentions to any one.

So, what do you sell on the bay?

What Photoshop pranks? I can't recall any at the moment.

Have a great day friend! And thanks for the kind words.

=WR=

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Answers to questions...

Wild Root said:
So, what do you sell on the bay?
Nothing on a regular basis. My selling generally relates to WWII related uniforms, wings, etc. that I have purchased that have become surplus to my collection (duplicates, lesser copies, etc.)

Wild Root said:
What Photoshop pranks? I can't recall any at the moment.
I'm the guy who grafted the space heater onto your Hoover and added the Fruit-of-the-Loom logo to Matt Deckard's QM napkin! (How soon they forget!)

Happy New Year, to all!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh yeah, the heater vac! Hahahahah, I thought that was really clever! I know I didn't show it but, I got a kick out of that.;)

The Fruit-of-the-loom was good too!

Have a safe and happy New Years!
=WR=

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Nice Jacket with UnNice Price

Flat-top, this jacket would fit, but the price won't for me. Are you planning on bidding? Think these jackets sold for about $15.00 in the 40's out of the Sears Catalog.

If any Lounge members have Wives or Girlfriends who can sew, a repro version of one of these jackets is probably possible @ a lot less than the starting price on this one. Plus you could get a correct fit minus moth holes etc.???

Peter ;)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Solid Citizen said:
Flat-top, this jacket would fit, but the price won't for me. Are you planning on bidding? Think these jackets sold for about $15.00 in the 40's out of the Sears Catalog.

If any Lounge members have Wives or Girlfriends who can sew, a repro version of one of these jackets is probably possible @ a lot less than the starting price on this one. Plus you could get a correct fit minus moth holes etc.???

Peter ;)
Nah, I've got a few that I never wear as it is. There is a repro company (just a UK husband and wife team actually) called Geronimo that made AMAZING Hollywood jackets. Three piece belts, the whole 9 yards. I have one, and it passses for authentic. They stopped making them. They weren't cheap, but they fit, and were obviously brand new!
Keep your eyes peeled for a brand called Eton Hall. Now they are the MOST sought after Hollywood jackets from the early 50's and go for several thousand $$ if the size and condition are right.
flat-top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21