Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Wingnuts Loafer/Hollywood Jacket

Flat-top, the two tone loafer coat that Wingnut has on in this thread for his re-up photo is my idea of the classic 40's/early 50's two tone affair. Yes, every time I see those Eton Hall jackets on Ebay there are multiple bidders from day one @ high $$$. IMHO the jackets look too Rockabilly/Early Greaser for my tastes!

Peter :rolleyes:

PS Wingnut's got the 40's look together in his photo, period haircut, off-color shirt, swingtie & the loafer coat, which is what I've been striving for, the whole look not just pieces of the look.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HA! I just noticed...

I'm watching The Godfather, and Sonny's brother in law is wearing a sweet belted Hollywood Jacket in the scene where Sonny beats the s@#! out of him on the street! The jacket doesn't fare too well by the scene's end...

Twitch

Howard looked good
howard.jpg

He is seen in this jacket with a tie also.

Wild Root

Gone Home
BUMP!

Well, I just thought I'd "Bump" this thread to show you find people my latest addition to my collection. Remember how I said I have been looking for one of them two toned coats like Wingnut had pictured? Well, I found one but, this is a different color and is a tweed and gab combo. See for your self!

I LOVE THIS COAT!!!

hollywoodcoat7lk.jpg

Found this coat in a small vintage/costume shop in Hollywood! It's in near mint condition and fits really nice. I just can't get over the fact that it finally happened and it didn't cost me too much bread. ;)

I'll be posting some more photos of the whole coat soon.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thanks man! You can tell by my big smile that I feel the same! Well, I was also on a date with a very nice girl too so, it was a combo of both.;) But, thanks again! It's one of my favorite coats in the ol' collection!

=WR=

shamus

Suspended
Great find Wild...

I know what you mean about finding it, half the fun was the hunt...
Now you just need something else to hunt for.

Wild Root

Gone Home
shamus said:
Great find Wild...
Now you just need something else to hunt for.

Hahaha, no more for now! Must take a collecting brake for a spell. The only thing I would consider buying is a nice belted back suit in my size. So, it's going to be a long, long time till I buy another piece of vintage clothing.;)

Be well,
=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, Mr. Hughes made that coat recognizable today. We often think of Howard when we see this style of coat.

The one he wore in the original photo was simply two solid tones of wool felt and the one Leonard wore in the Aviator is dark brown wool and a conservative light tan tweed plaid. Some differences but, not much. I believe the one Wingnut has on in a previous photo is almost exact like the one Howard wore originally.

All and all, I love the look and wish these coats were easier to find. I do have a size 42 pattern of these coats that will come in handy when I find some one who could copy them correctly. I would consider having a run of them made if the price is right and enough people want them.

=WR=

flat-top

I have to say that I get the biggest reaction whenever I wear one of my two tone jackets. You just DON'T see anything like them anymore!
flat-top

Wild Root

Gone Home
Agreed! I have had nothing but positive reactions with it so far. I’m sure I'll get a Howard comment here and there and I'm fine with that. It's better then being called a gangster or a Pimp. :rolleyes:

=WR=

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Yes, the joy's of looking for vintage clothes when you are tall and broad shouldered.

I need to order one of the repro two tone Hollywood jackets that Revamp makes, it's probably the only way I'll ever find one that fits.

At least I have the pilots licence........(Many years ago in my High School daze, in the latter 1970's, we used to sneak in the locked Hughes Hanger at the Hobby Airport in Houston, in the hanger was a Sikorsky S-43 flying boat that Howard Hughes owned, I used to sit inside that airplane many a time.)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
Many years ago in my High School daze, in the latter 1970's, we used to sneak in the locked Hughes Hanger at the Hobby Airport in Houston, in the hanger was a Sikorsky S-43 flying boat that Howard Hughes owned, I used to sit inside that airplane many a time.)

That's beyond cool. What a neat memory to have. As close as I'll come to such a memory is seeing this aircraft in restoration in a tiny hangar at the Kindred, ND airport as a 7-year-old starry-eyed kid:

f2g_sm.jpg

Incidentally, I've had a few VERY generous offers on my jacket, but I'm holding onto it. Not out of spite, of course, but it's as close as I've seen any come. The back is the contrasting color whereas Hughes' jacket was solid through the body, but it's still as close as you'll get without going one-off custom. I jumped on it like a wolf on a honey-baked ham when I saw photos from the Man, Moment, Machine Howard Hughes set.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I would hold onto that coat and never let it go Wingnut! Don't ever sell it!!!

The stories are great and very intriguing and I’m so happy to hear the stories!

Now, ReVamp has made some coats like this and I have seen them. They are way too baggy and the fabric is going to be 100% disappointing. I have felt them and they’re all 60-90% polyester. I have an original pattern for these coats and would be happy to figure out a way to reproduce them for some people soon as I find some one to make them. It’s going to be some time till I can get them done but, the fabric is going to be very nice and the colors are going to be anything but gray tweed and black.

Just hold out for a good repro, it’s worth it.

=WR=

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch