Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wild Root said:
Now, ReVamp has made some coats like this and I have seen them. They are way too baggy and the fabric is going to be 100% disappointing. I have felt them and they’re all 60-90% polyester...
...Just hold out for a good repro, it’s worth it.

=WR=
WR,
That's quite the skill you have; determining the content of fabric just by touch. ;)
I think you're being too hard on reVamp. First of all, Annamarie is an absolute sweetheart; she'll custom make a Hollywood Jacket to your measurements and you can send her the fabric, any fabric you want. And she is an ally of ours; we shouldn't be cannibalizing our allies. Not too many people produce a line of clothing based on the 1910's, 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. Know what I mean?

I realize that you want to produce a jacket and we all welcome it, but there is no need to knock another vintage aficionado, in my humble opinion.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, let me state that Annamarie is making a copy of Howard Highes' jacket for me based on the jacket from "The Aviator." Through this entire process, she has been extremely assessible, helpful, informative, and enthusiastic. She would have had it done for me in less than 2 weeks, but I forgot to send her the lining material I ordered.

It should be here tomorrow and I will post a full honest review, once I have it.

WR, I met you at the QM and I know you are a good guy. I just think you're being a little too hard on her, that's all.

High Regards,
HJ

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hemingway Jones said:
WR,
That's quite the skill you have; determining the content of fabric just by touch. ;)
I think you're being too hard on reVamp. First of all, Annamarie is an absolute sweetheart; she'll custom make a Hollywood Jacket to your measurements and you can send her the fabric, any fabric you want. And she is an ally of ours; we shouldn't be cannibalizing our allies. Not too many people produce a line of clothing based on the 1910's, 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. Know what I mean?

I realize that you want to produce a jacket and we all welcome it, but there is no need to knock another vintage aficionado, in my humble opinion.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, let me state that Annamarie is making a copy of Howard Highes' jacket for me based on the jacket from "The Aviator." Through this entire process, she has been extremely assessible, helpful, informative, and enthusiastic. She would have had it done for me in less than 2 weeks, but I forgot to send her the lining material I ordered.

It should be here tomorrow and I will post a full honest review, once I have it.

WR, I met you at the QM and I know you are a good guy. I just think you're being a little too hard on her, that's all.

High Regards,
HJ

Well, it may seem that I’m coming off hard on her but, it’s not her that I dislike, it’s the stuff she has on her racks for sale. She’s a friend of mine sweet as can be! She’s also a good dancer and I have known her for a wile. I was unaware she was doing custom work and I only have seen the stuff she brings out to swing shows and vintage fashion expos and the stuff I have seen such as pants, vests, shirts and two tone coats for men are rather incorrect compared to the original. The fabric they’re made of is really poor in my opinion. I understand she does it to cut down the cost so dancers can afford it but, when some one is looking for a good vintage coat to wear out and enjoy and doesn’t mind spending money, I’d advise them to have a nice custom one made from an original pattern. Nothing against Anna Marie at all, I love her women’s stuff and that’s what she excels at! Her men’s stuff is lacking an attention to detail to pass my test of authenticity. I’m not trying to bad mouth her business or personal reputation, just stating a fact that her men’s line needs some work. Now, knowing that she does custom work, that will be rather good seeing you can send her photos and tell her what you would want. I’m sure she could put together a nice piece but, its’ going to cost a few red cents.

It will be a considerable amount of time till I can find a way to repop them my self but, I had no intentions to boost my own business by bashing some else’s.

Yes, I remember meeting you at the QM in November and I think you’re a really nice guy too. I regret not chatting with you more (and a great deal of others) but, that’s how those summits go some times. So much to do and so little time.

If you send her some fabric and tell her what you want and you get a high quality product in return, by all means post it and tell us all about it because I’d love to see her custom work!

All the best,
Rob.

PS. The skill of fabric testing comes with years of experience. I've been collecting vintage for 10 years now so, it's in my blood. ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Excellent Rob, you know that much of the tone of people's thoughts are lost in their writing, so what is offered as constructive criticism often comes off as harsh criticism. It is good that we can disagree without being disagreable; to quote the old cliche.

Annamarie seems to have found her niche and God Bless her for it.

I will be happy to post comments about my jacket, but having never seen a period Hollywood jacket in person, at this point, I would be hardly the authority to comment on its authenticity.

Anyway, Rob, I am sure we'll catch up in person soon, and if not soon, certainly at the next QM.

BTW, I shop with my fingertips. When I feel a suit that is soft and rich, I tend to give it a second look, so, all kidding aside, there is truth in what you say -even if I did poke a little fun at you for it. ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Brother, you're a good Joe!

Yeah, Anna Marie is a sweetie pie, any time I'm at the vintage expo I'll see this bright yellow blond head whipping around every corner! She's so funny!

I love what she's doing for the repro business but, I have sat down and talked with her and expressed my feelings about the men's stuff she has. She told me that she would love to look at my original stuff to go off of but, she never gave me a call. So, I know how she gets so busy and it's partially my fault for not calling her too but, ah, that's no biggy. I need to contact her and see if I can bring over some of my original goodies and share them with her.

Yes, not owning an original or seeing an original up close is kind of something you'll need to see to compare. I'll take some detailed shots of my two tone coat here and post them so you'll have something to go off of. And maybe you could send her the photos so she can see the inside detail. ;)

She is gifted and good with the needle but, when it comes to men's stuff, she just needs info and a good model to go off of.

Any way, if you ever find your self in the So Cal area, do drop me a line and I'd be happy to show you around brother!

Regards,
=WR=

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you, sir, I certainly will! I am sure I will be there sooner or later.

And I am looking forward to those detailed pics of that jacket. One day, I am sure I will pick up an original myself. It would just have to be in perfect shape, as many of them are.

I am sure Anna Marie would welcome your input.

Well, let's get back to the regularly scheduled post!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sure, we could, but, we were talking about Hollywood coats to a degree yes?;)

Any way, I remember the first time I saw a coat like this, ladies and gents, it was sooooo coool! It was tan and brown double windowpane wool tweed, with solid dark brown gabardine front panels with four patch pockets on the front!!! Oh, and my friend who wore it, had a beautiful 40's print tie that just set it off perfectly and no, it doesn't stop there... he had the matching pocket square that had the same pattern and color as the tie! An original 40's tie and pocket square combo!!! Talk about rare! He even had a matching pair of dark brown gabardine pants from the 40's he wore with it. I only saw that outfit once and never saw it again. Ever since I saw a coat like that, I knew I wanted one of the same vintage and style! Now, I have one and I'm wearing it right now! hehehehehehe.

Any way, I'll post some more photos of it soon!

=WR=

PS. Jones, just drop me a PM and let me know when you may come into town and I'll get some cool plans all set up.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
I thought I would share my Pendleton with you all. I love this jacket so much and I only paid $15 for it. I just picked this up about a month or so ago at an antique store near by.

Pendleton2.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cool brother! You know, those Pendleton’s are really comfy and are perfect for kicking around town in. That one I’m not to positive is very old (I see the swirl all wool symbol which is a later 60’s trade mark) but, it’s still a rock’n coat man! They were making the same style for a long time after the 40’s so, it’s all good.

Thanks for sharing brother!

=WR=

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
That jacket is a great find Wild Root! I picked up a similar one recently at a thrift store (in brown and tan) which sucks becuase just a month earlier I had one reproduced based off of pictures. Ive been on this hollywood and spread collar jacket "kick" recently, last year it was 50's patch pockets, before that it was 40's DB. That's what I love about vintage...there is so much diversity!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Those Pendelton jackets are cool too...at first I had my doubts, but I saw the guys in Stompy Jones wearing 'em and they looked great!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thanks man! You know, I just can't get enough of this coat. I wish I found mine in a thrift shop! I would have saved some money that way. Oh well, it was worth it!

Stompy Jones is such a great band! And a great look! I love their music and how well they preform, and they look like a real band too! Got to love it!

=WR=

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
more.......

7711b264.jpg

I love this next one..two piece belt, the front is VELVET, the back is yellow checked gabardine!
41062536.jpg

db9dd023.jpg

more to come.......

flat-top

and these......

3541d02c.jpg

82b93354.jpg

I actually have a few more that I can't get my hands on at the moment, but let me what you guys think of these! Only two of this bunch are repros. I bet you can guess which ones!
flat-top

flat-top

I used photobucket. But I also deleted all the pics afterwards! This may have been the problem. But still, on my computer, while on The Fedora Lounge, I can see the pics! So they are only visable to me? Weird!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana