Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kools said:
It's not a two-tone...and this is a shop where you CANNOT talk the price down. A bunch off cool stuff, but they have shown no interest in actually selling any of it.
Ehh..then don't sweat it. You could get a one color jacket on Ebay for less! Alot of these stores put unrealistic prices on the good stuff because they truly DON'T wanna sell it!

kools

Practically Family
This is one of those places that TRULY does not want to sell. They gave a good supply of inventory that I first saw about 12 years ago! The sad thing is...they have the best supply in town, and a lot in my size.

Wild Root

Gone Home
This is sad.

I hate that! Why don't they just put on a display? Why even have them marked or, why don't they just open a museum!

These coats are really cool yes but, they're not worth that much money if they have stains. Any one know the store chain here in CA called AAARDVARKS? They sell vintage and most of their stores from Pasadena to Hollywood have some great late 40's and early 50's two tone coats (mostly Ike jackets) that are reversible and very cool! They all have high prices because the owner doesn't want to really sell them. He wants to display them for people to see what real 50's clothes looked like. Some times serious Rock-A-Billy guys go in and buy one to wear to Viva Las Vegas but, that's rare.

It's only going to get higher and higher for this stuff. Ebay you can find deals some times but, most guys are starting them high! It's sad.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Looks like we're all on the same page:p! Yes, the question is just that... HOW DID WE MISS THIS!!!

Oh well, just goes to show that we must keep our eyes open at all times and in all places if we want to score the deals.

I know I’ve learned my lesson!

=WR=

kools

Practically Family
I'm taking a chance on this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8393138973&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

The chance that I'm taking is that it fits. I sometimes run into troubles even when the actual measurements tell me it should fit. I have a fear the shoulders might fall tight on me.

I just bought this one a few weeks ago, and I just don't feel like it fits right. I may have to resell it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8388684054&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have been wearing my Hughes' jacket all over the place and I can't believe how many compliments I am getting on it. All sorts of people stop me and ask me what type of jacket it is. One person asked if it was suede!

The funniest thing that happened was that I walked out of Dunkin' Donuts and walked a few steps passed this gentleman, who worked for our local utility company. As I passed, he looked at me funny, then a few steps on, I heard him exclaim, "Howard Hughes!" -as if he had suddenly just recognized it. :)

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Jeez, I've wanted a jacket like that for a long time! (Incidentally, I first saw one of them when I was reading about the Spruce Goose)

I haven't seen any auctions, but what's the average price for one? From the posts I'm assuming they're especially pricey.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
CharlieH. said:
Jeez, I've wanted a jacket like that for a long time! (Incidentally, I first saw one of them when I was reading about the Spruce Goose)

I haven't seen any auctions, but what's the average price for one? From the posts I'm assuming they're especially pricey.
They can be. I've seen them go as high as $225, but most of the popular two-tones go in the $150 range. They are usually in very small sizes.

The funny thing is, in thrift stores and vintage shops, they may be found for $50!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Voila!

012_10A.jpg

Fresh back from viva. . .

Benny Holiday

One sharp jacket!

Tell us about that smooth-lookin' jacket, Resortes! It rocks! Did you get it at Viva?

Skin Deep in Sydney make Hollywood/loafer-style jackets, but at ridiculous prices, like everything else in the shop. I must work on some pics, but my tailor made me a brilliant burgundy 40's-style loafer jacket for $250, as opposed to Skin Deep's $800 for (very) average workmanship. Il Sartoria would be proud of your jacket, man!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
It's custom and I paid roughly the same. Most would be surprised to hear that I had the tailors at El Pachuco zoot suits in Fullerton CA cut the jacket and matching pants for me. I've known the owners for sometime now, and they are a great family business. I supplied the material and a vintage video clip and they delivered a dead-on reproduction. You can't see it in the picture, but the sleeves are a tiny houndstooth check with wine highlights. It's all wool gab. The buttons are cover buttons as well!

Just for fun here is another cool leisure coat and another bottle of liquor (If you can't tell, I'm on the right).
002_24A.jpg

Benny Holiday

Not surprised at all

El Pachuco make a killer drape. The only reason I haven't ordered one from 'em is that the good ol' Australian Government throw a hefty import tax on such items that makes the cost simply prohibitive. An acquaintance of mine bought a black pinstripe suit from El Pachuco a few years back, and it ended up costing him an arm and a leg.

Clearly they make a super-fine Hollywood jacket as well.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Caramba! That's quite a "fan club" you've got in that photo! What's the story behind it (or rather, them)?

Nothing too exciting; just my girlfriend and her friends. Y'know most people think of the rocking 50's as being all about cuffed jean and poodle skirts, but Viva Las Vegas is truly one of the most glamorous vintage events anywhere in the world. I'll post more pics in the events section sometime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy