Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Holocaust Book + Noisy Nieghbors' Rap = Unease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I'm reading through Alicia Appleman-Jurman's "Alicia: My Story," and wanted to seek the advice of some of you more literate and life-experienced folks. As I sit here and read of the horrors and hard-won moments of joy the author suffered through in Nazi-occupied Ukraine, I can easily hear loud hip-hop music blasting from the room next door. I don't listen to the genre enough to feel that I can talk intelligently about it, but the vibes of arrogance in what almost passes for "melody" and the occasional bit of lyrics I can understand... well, they feel so out of place next to the true story I'm taking in. Somehow the "music" is compounding the impact of the story, especially in comparing the problems we face today against the hardships of war, or worse, genocide.

I usually try to restrain myself from seeing devotees of modern culture as shallow, but after digging into so deep a work as "Alicia," I can't help but feel that those who understand and seek out the past are somehow better, more well-rounded, or more understanding than those who disregard the past and turn up the latest thumping bass. But there again, as I face the deeply human struggle of the Holocaust, I instinctively caution myself against dividing people into groups; we all know how THAT idea worked out in Europe of the early '40s...

Well, I suppose I'm really just opening the old mental safety valve and hoping that we can make a well-reasoned intellectual discussion out of it. Hopefully others in a similar position of deep thought can take some refuge sharing also. Bartenders can merge this as needed, and thanks to anyone reading or sharing your wisdom or personal experience with this contrast. The darkness of the Holocaust and the vanity of the world that surrounds us is pretty hard to reconcile sometimes, but it's nice to know I can find people who know the history well here on the Lounge!

Ah, and that darned "music" stopped. I'll count my blessings!

-Steven

Pompidou

One Too Many
If only these modern troglodytes knew just how inferior they really are. Why, the only person superior to a reader of history is a reader of history wearing a bespoke suit and drinking aged single malt scotch. Fortunately, we can acknowledge just how great we are here. That's what superior people do.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don't think I'm superior to anybody just because I like the 1930s and dislike rap. To each his own (and this includes wanting to feel superior -- go for it if it makes you feel happy!) Just treat me with respect and I'll do the same :D

Also, even though I love history and know quite a bit about it -- there can sometimes be heard a thumping bass emitting from my car stereo. Not rap, but I love dance music :D

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think if you live in an apartment building it's common courtesy to keep your music at a level where it doesn't disturb the neighbors -- a Benny Goodman record played at excessive volume is just as obnoxious as whoever the popular rapper is right now, or whoever the bimbo teen pop idol of the moment is. I've lived in buildings where that courtesy was not observed, and a judicious pounding on the wall or ceiling will sometimes help quiet things down. I used to keep a heavy walking cane in a corner of the bedroom for just such a purpose. (The only apartment where I didn't have to use it was a walk-up over a Christian Science Reading Room. The nice old ladies down there rarely got out of line.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner